PDA

View Full Version : 3 year old waking up at 3 am

Lejla/Lyla
November 9th 03, 09:13 AM
Our DD has been waking up every night at 3 am for the last four nights.

She had a throat and nose infection and was receiving antibiotics and the
treatment ended a few days before she started waking up at night. The
treatment ended after a doctor check-up who said everything was ok. I don't
feel like having to go to the doctor again, so please give me some ideas why
this is happening.

DD wakes up crying and seems to be upset or in pain (she does not know how
to explain what is wrong and seems to be too upset to communicate). We take
her to the loo, give her some tea or warm milk, try to comfort her, but this
crying goes on for an hour or hour and a half. It is stopped instantly by
some familiar music, but even with the music she does not go back to sleep.
Her nose also starts running (although we have warm air humidifier on at all
times in winter) and she rubs her eyes. Her throat is not red, she is not in
pain when we check her ears for pain. We thought she might be going through
a growth period as she just turned 3 years old and increased her dinner
size, which she eats, but still wakes up promptly at 3 am. She was out of
day-care for a week because of the infection, but she knows the children and
carers for a long time and this is not the first time she was out (holiday
or infection) and back again.

TIA

Lejla/Lyla
DD 02 Nov 2000

Banty
November 9th 03, 01:54 PM
In article >, Lejla/Lyla says...

>Our DD has been waking up every night at 3 am for the last four nights.
>
>She had a throat and nose infection and was receiving antibiotics and the
>treatment ended a few days before she started waking up at night. The
>treatment ended after a doctor check-up who said everything was ok. I don't
>feel like having to go to the doctor again, so please give me some ideas why
>this is happening.
>
>DD wakes up crying and seems to be upset or in pain (she does not know how
>to explain what is wrong and seems to be too upset to communicate). We take
>her to the loo, give her some tea or warm milk, try to comfort her, but this
>crying goes on for an hour or hour and a half. It is stopped instantly by
>some familiar music, but even with the music she does not go back to sleep.
>Her nose also starts running (although we have warm air humidifier on at all
>times in winter) and she rubs her eyes. Her throat is not red, she is not in
>pain when we check her ears for pain. We thought she might be going through
>a growth period as she just turned 3 years old and increased her dinner
>size, which she eats, but still wakes up promptly at 3 am. She was out of
>day-care for a week because of the infection, but she knows the children and
>carers for a long time and this is not the first time she was out (holiday
>or infection) and back again.

She needs to be followed up. For differential diagnosis or maybe a different
antibiotic.

You need to 'feel like' bringing her to the doctor again.

Banty

Sue
November 9th 03, 02:53 PM
Sounds to me like the infection has come back again. Did you finish all the
medication before ending treatment? If you didn't, then I definitely would
suspect perhaps another ear infection. Just because there is no pain or
fever, doesn't mean that there couldn't still be fluid or something to cause
her to not sleep well. My DD3 never ran a fever when she would have an ear
infection, nor would she act any different. I guess I would watch her for a
couple more days and see how it goes, but I probably would go back to the
doctor.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Lejla/Lyla > wrote in message
> Our DD has been waking up every night at 3 am for the last four nights.
>
> She had a throat and nose infection and was receiving antibiotics and the
> treatment ended a few days before she started waking up at night. The
> treatment ended after a doctor check-up who said everything was ok. I
don't
> feel like having to go to the doctor again, so please give me some ideas
why
> this is happening.
>
> DD wakes up crying and seems to be upset or in pain (she does not know how
> to explain what is wrong and seems to be too upset to communicate). We
take
> her to the loo, give her some tea or warm milk, try to comfort her, but
this
> crying goes on for an hour or hour and a half. It is stopped instantly by
> some familiar music, but even with the music she does not go back to
sleep.
> Her nose also starts running (although we have warm air humidifier on at
all
> times in winter) and she rubs her eyes. Her throat is not red, she is not
in
> pain when we check her ears for pain. We thought she might be going
through
> a growth period as she just turned 3 years old and increased her dinner
> size, which she eats, but still wakes up promptly at 3 am. She was out of
> day-care for a week because of the infection, but she knows the children
and
> carers for a long time and this is not the first time she was out (holiday
> or infection) and back again.
>
> TIA
>
> Lejla/Lyla
> DD 02 Nov 2000

Lejla/Lyla
November 9th 03, 06:36 PM
"Banty" > wrote in message
> In article >, Lejla/Lyla says...
> >
> >Our DD has been waking up every night at 3 am for the last four nights.
> >
> >She had a throat and nose infection and was receiving antibiotics and the
> >treatment ended a few days before she started waking up at night. The
> >treatment ended after a doctor check-up who said everything was ok. I
don't
> >feel like having to go to the doctor again, so please give me some ideas
why
> >this is happening.
> >
> >DD wakes up crying and seems to be upset or in pain (she does not know
how
> >to explain what is wrong and seems to be too upset to communicate). We
take
> >her to the loo, give her some tea or warm milk, try to comfort her, but
this
> >crying goes on for an hour or hour and a half. It is stopped instantly by
> >some familiar music, but even with the music she does not go back to
sleep.
> >Her nose also starts running (although we have warm air humidifier on at
all
> >times in winter) and she rubs her eyes. Her throat is not red, she is not
in
> >pain when we check her ears for pain. We thought she might be going
through
> >a growth period as she just turned 3 years old and increased her dinner
> >size, which she eats, but still wakes up promptly at 3 am. She was out of
> >day-care for a week because of the infection, but she knows the children
and
> >carers for a long time and this is not the first time she was out
(holiday
> >or infection) and back again.
>
> She needs to be followed up. For differential diagnosis or maybe a
different
> antibiotic.
>
> You need to 'feel like' bringing her to the doctor again.
>
> Banty

Thanks, I guess you are right - we will see the doctor tomorrow.

Lejla/Lyla
DD 02 Nov 2000

Lejla/Lyla
November 9th 03, 06:38 PM
"Sue" > wrote in message
> Sounds to me like the infection has come back again. Did you finish all
the
> medication before ending treatment? If you didn't, then I definitely would
> suspect perhaps another ear infection. Just because there is no pain or
> fever, doesn't mean that there couldn't still be fluid or something to
cause
> her to not sleep well. My DD3 never ran a fever when she would have an ear
> infection, nor would she act any different. I guess I would watch her for
> couple more days and see how it goes, but I probably would go back to the
> doctor.
> --
> Sue (mom to three girls)
> I'm Just a Raggedy Ann in a Barbie Doll World...
>
> Lejla/Lyla > wrote in message
> > Our DD has been waking up every night at 3 am for the last four nights.
> >
> > She had a throat and nose infection and was receiving antibiotics and
the
> > treatment ended a few days before she started waking up at night. The
> > treatment ended after a doctor check-up who said everything was ok. I
> don't
> > feel like having to go to the doctor again, so please give me some ideas
> why
> > this is happening.
> >
> > DD wakes up crying and seems to be upset or in pain (she does not know
how
> > to explain what is wrong and seems to be too upset to communicate). We
> take
> > her to the loo, give her some tea or warm milk, try to comfort her, but
> this
> > crying goes on for an hour or hour and a half. It is stopped instantly
by
> > some familiar music, but even with the music she does not go back to
> sleep.
> > Her nose also starts running (although we have warm air humidifier on at
> all
> > times in winter) and she rubs her eyes. Her throat is not red, she is
not
> in
> > pain when we check her ears for pain. We thought she might be going
> through
> > a growth period as she just turned 3 years old and increased her dinner
> > size, which she eats, but still wakes up promptly at 3 am. She was out
of
> > day-care for a week because of the infection, but she knows the children
> and
> > carers for a long time and this is not the first time she was out
(holiday
> > or infection) and back again.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Lejla/Lyla
> > DD 02 Nov 2000

Thanks Sue - seems like we need to see the doctor again.
Lejla/Lyla
DD 02 Nov 2000

Mamma Mia
November 9th 03, 09:34 PM
our 3 yo gets pains in his legs - and i hav to rub his legs and he
eventually falls asleep. sometimes i give him ibuprofen(spel?). he does
not get this during the day. it is usually after abig day's playing, but
also to do with growing pains i feel.

might be that?

christine
"Lejla/Lyla" > wrote in message
> Our DD has been waking up every night at 3 am for the last four nights.
>
> She had a throat and nose infection and was receiving antibiotics and the
> treatment ended a few days before she started waking up at night. The
> treatment ended after a doctor check-up who said everything was ok. I
don't
> feel like having to go to the doctor again, so please give me some ideas
why
> this is happening.
>
> DD wakes up crying and seems to be upset or in pain (she does not know how
> to explain what is wrong and seems to be too upset to communicate). We
take
> her to the loo, give her some tea or warm milk, try to comfort her, but
this
> crying goes on for an hour or hour and a half. It is stopped instantly by
> some familiar music, but even with the music she does not go back to
sleep.
> Her nose also starts running (although we have warm air humidifier on at
all
> times in winter) and she rubs her eyes. Her throat is not red, she is not
in
> pain when we check her ears for pain. We thought she might be going
through
> a growth period as she just turned 3 years old and increased her dinner
> size, which she eats, but still wakes up promptly at 3 am. She was out of
> day-care for a week because of the infection, but she knows the children
and
> carers for a long time and this is not the first time she was out (holiday
> or infection) and back again.
>
> TIA
>
> Lejla/Lyla
> DD 02 Nov 2000

L. Kincaid
November 9th 03, 11:30 PM
Mamma Mia wrote:

> our 3 yo gets pains in his legs - and i hav to rub his legs and he
> eventually falls asleep. sometimes i give him ibuprofen(spel?). he does
> not get this during the day. it is usually after abig day's playing, but
> also to do with growing pains i feel.
>
> might be that?

Your son has the exact symptoms of Restless Legs Syndrome. Many
people who suffer from this don't even know the name of it.

Info at:

http://www.rls.org

JG
November 10th 03, 12:15 AM
"Mamma Mia" > wrote in message

> our 3 yo gets pains in his legs - and i hav to rub his legs and he
> eventually falls asleep. sometimes i give him ibuprofen(spel?). he
does
> not get this during the day. it is usually after abig day's playing,
but
> also to do with growing pains i feel.

> might be that?

Yes. Here's a description of growing pains (from
http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/symptoms/legpainlimping.html):

Growing pains: this is a common condition that can cause leg pain in
children aged 5-10, especially during times of rapid growth. The pain
usually occurs at night, is usually not very well localized and may
occur in different places each night. This condition should not cause
your child to limp and should not limit his activities in any way and is
usually made better if you massage or rub on the affected areas.

A good discussion of growing pains can be found at
http://www.drgreene.com/21_122.html (the question that prompted the
discussion was from the mother of a three-year-old); another good one is
at http://www.parentcenter.com/refcap/health/ills&inj/atoz/2136.html.

Probably much more likely to be "growing pains," given your son's age,
than restless legs syndrome. Mention it to your son's physician. Good
luck!

JG
November 10th 03, 12:27 AM
"L. Kincaid" > wrote in message
> Mamma Mia wrote:

> > our 3 yo gets pains in his legs - and i hav to rub his legs and he
> > eventually falls asleep. sometimes i give him ibuprofen(spel?). he
does
> > not get this during the day. it is usually after abig day's
playing, but
> > also to do with growing pains i feel.

> > might be that?

> Your son has the exact symptoms of Restless Legs Syndrome. Many
> people who suffer from this don't even know the name of it.

> Info at:

> http://www.rls.org

Many things can cause leg pain in children, and given that "Mamma Mia"
didn't mention that her son exhibited an overwhelming urge to move his
legs (a symptom that almost always occurs with rls), I'd think "growing
pains" is a more likely diagnosis. A physician, of course, should be
able to allay any doubts/fears and answer any questions.

PF Riley
November 10th 03, 02:02 AM
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 00:27:54 GMT, "JG" > wrote:

>"L. Kincaid" > wrote in message
>> Mamma Mia wrote:
>
>> > our 3 yo gets pains in his legs - and i hav to rub his legs and he
>> > eventually falls asleep. sometimes i give him ibuprofen(spel?). he
>does
>> > not get this during the day. it is usually after abig day's
>playing, but
>> > also to do with growing pains i feel.
>
>> > might be that?
>
>> Your son has the exact symptoms of Restless Legs Syndrome. Many
>> people who suffer from this don't even know the name of it.
>
>> Info at:
>
>> http://www.rls.org
>
>Many things can cause leg pain in children, and given that "Mamma Mia"
>didn't mention that her son exhibited an overwhelming urge to move his
>legs (a symptom that almost always occurs with rls), I'd think "growing
>pains" is a more likely diagnosis. A physician, of course, should be
>able to allay any doubts/fears and answer any questions.

L. Kincaid seems to suffer from the hammer/nail syndrome so prevalent
on this newsgroup (like the celiac guy who thinks everyone on here has
celiac disease.)

In this case, it's rather amusing, as the child has all of the "exact
symptoms" of growing pains, and absolutely none of the symptoms of
RLS, yet Kincaid still concludes he has RLS, blinded by his devotion
to it.

PF

JennP
November 10th 03, 02:41 AM
"Banty" > wrote in message
> In article >,

> She needs to be followed up. For differential diagnosis or maybe a
different
> antibiotic.

I agree. Unusual night-waking is a big clue for infection with my
pediatrician's office. If I suspect an ear infection that's one of the first
things they ask.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Lejla/Lyla
November 10th 03, 06:44 AM
"Mamma Mia" > wrote in message
> our 3 yo gets pains in his legs - and i hav to rub his legs and he
> eventually falls asleep. sometimes i give him ibuprofen(spel?). he does
> not get this during the day. it is usually after abig day's playing, but
> also to do with growing pains i feel.
>
> might be that?
>
> christine
> "Lejla/Lyla" > wrote in message
> > Our DD has been waking up every night at 3 am for the last four nights.
> >
> > She had a throat and nose infection and was receiving antibiotics and
the
> > treatment ended a few days before she started waking up at night. The
> > treatment ended after a doctor check-up who said everything was ok. I
> don't
> > feel like having to go to the doctor again, so please give me some ideas
> why
> > this is happening.
> >
> > DD wakes up crying and seems to be upset or in pain (she does not know
how
> > to explain what is wrong and seems to be too upset to communicate). We
> take
> > her to the loo, give her some tea or warm milk, try to comfort her, but
> this
> > crying goes on for an hour or hour and a half. It is stopped instantly
by
> > some familiar music, but even with the music she does not go back to
> sleep.
> > Her nose also starts running (although we have warm air humidifier on at
> all
> > times in winter) and she rubs her eyes. Her throat is not red, she is
not
> in
> > pain when we check her ears for pain. We thought she might be going
> through
> > a growth period as she just turned 3 years old and increased her dinner
> > size, which she eats, but still wakes up promptly at 3 am. She was out
of
> > day-care for a week because of the infection, but she knows the children
> and
> > carers for a long time and this is not the first time she was out
(holiday
> > or infection) and back again.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Lejla/Lyla
> > DD 02 Nov 2000

Thanks for mentioning this - I never thought of it. DD does get up and walks
around - this could have something to do with her feet hurting or being
stiff after five hours in bed. When she gets up it feels almost like she is
up and ready to start a new day and if we return her to bed she protests by
standing up in bed and crying. We gave DD a massage ever since she was an
infant and every night after her bath she gets a gentle massage with the
baby lotion. I always massage her back, hands and feet longer. We are off to
DD's doctor now so will be able to post later on.

--
Lejla/Lyla
DD 02 Nov 2000

PF Riley
November 10th 03, 03:15 PM
On 10 Nov 2003 14:00:19 GMT, Ignoramus6554
> wrote:
>
>What are these growing pains, is it a medical condition?

It is a benign phenomenon of children marked by vague knee or ankle
pains at night, typically after a busy day, relieved by ibuprofen and
massage, with no swelling, redness, limping, or persistence of
symptoms until the morning. It may or may not be bone pain from growth
-- no one really knows. The important thing is to distinguish this
benign condition from other, potentially more serious conditions.

PF

L. Kincaid
November 10th 03, 09:00 PM
Ignoramus6554 wrote:

> What are these growing pains, is it a medical condition?

It's a phrase that people like PF Riley use when they cannot
explain a medical condition .... it's like being in denial.
(Such a strong emotion.)

This boy is displaying symptoms of RLS. Period. Chances are ....
he will be (50% chance) ADD or ADHD.

Info at:

http://www.rls.org

JG
November 10th 03, 11:37 PM
"L. Kincaid" > wrote in message
> Ignoramus6554 wrote:

> > What are these growing pains, is it a medical condition?

> It's a phrase that people like PF Riley use when they cannot
> explain a medical condition .... it's like being in denial.
> (Such a strong emotion.)

> This boy is displaying symptoms of RLS. Period. Chances are ....
> he will be (50% chance) ADD or ADHD.

From the information provided by "Mamma Mia," NO ONE, including YOU,
could possibly make an indubitable diagnosis. Do you have RLS? Are you
hoping to find company to join you in your misery? There are several
possible causes of nocturnal leg pain in children, and RLS is hardly at
the top of the list! (It's rare in children, and--as I previously
pointed out--more often than not the sensation of an "overwhelming" urge
to move the legs is present, a symptom NOT mentioned by "Mamma Mia.")
Did you even bother to check the links to "growing pains" articles I
provided in my previous post?

Diagnosing *any* condition over the Internet is both impossible and
potentially dangerous, and now you've gone from asserting that not only
(in your opinion) does the boy have RLS, but likely also ADD/ADHD! If
you want to play doctor, perhaps you should confine your practice to
your own family (or, better yet, to *yourself*).

[...]

Lejla/Lyla
November 11th 03, 02:21 AM
"Lejla/Lyla" > wrote in message
> Our DD has been waking up every night at 3 am for the last four nights.
>
> She had a throat and nose infection and was receiving antibiotics and the
> treatment ended a few days before she started waking up at night. The
> treatment ended after a doctor check-up who said everything was ok. I
don't
> feel like having to go to the doctor again, so please give me some ideas
why
> this is happening.
>
> DD wakes up crying and seems to be upset or in pain (she does not know how
> to explain what is wrong and seems to be too upset to communicate). We
take
> her to the loo, give her some tea or warm milk, try to comfort her, but
this
> crying goes on for an hour or hour and a half. It is stopped instantly by
> some familiar music, but even with the music she does not go back to
sleep.
> Her nose also starts running (although we have warm air humidifier on at
all
> times in winter) and she rubs her eyes. Her throat is not red, she is not
in
> pain when we check her ears for pain. We thought she might be going
through
> a growth period as she just turned 3 years old and increased her dinner
> size, which she eats, but still wakes up promptly at 3 am. She was out of
> day-care for a week because of the infection, but she knows the children
and
> carers for a long time and this is not the first time she was out (holiday
> or infection) and back again.
>
> TIA
>
> Lejla/Lyla
> DD 02 Nov 2000

Just to update and say that we visited DD's doctor and the nose and throat
infection had not returned. We also visited an ear-nose-throat specialist
who examined her ears and then the throat and nose again and said everything
was ok and that there was no inflammation at all.
This was a great relief- I guess many parents, as well as ourselves, dread
the ear infection because of its pain and persistence. However, as I am
writing this DD has been up for two hours already. We now think it is either
nightmares - she woke up saying no, no, no - or "growing pains" as the leg
massage helped calm her down (but again massage helps whenever she is
upset).
Any other suggestions or advice for these early a.m. hour zombie parents is
still most welcome.

--
Lejla/Lyla
DD 02 Nov 2000

Lejla/Lyla
November 11th 03, 02:22 AM
"PF Riley" > wrote in message
> On 10 Nov 2003 14:00:19 GMT, Ignoramus6554
> > wrote:
> >
> >What are these growing pains, is it a medical condition?
>
> It is a benign phenomenon of children marked by vague knee or ankle
> pains at night, typically after a busy day, relieved by ibuprofen and
> massage, with no swelling, redness, limping, or persistence of
> symptoms until the morning. It may or may not be bone pain from growth
> -- no one really knows. The important thing is to distinguish this
> benign condition from other, potentially more serious conditions.
>
> PF

Thank you- this was helpful to know.

--
Lejla/Lyla
DD 02 Nov 2000

Lejla/Lyla
November 11th 03, 02:24 AM
Christine,
I just wanted to ask how does you 3 yo act when he wakes up and whether it
is anything like DD's behaviour. DD seems to be throwing her legs around,
and kicks with her legs and reaches out towards the feet and does a grabbing
motion.
Thanks

--
Lejla/Lyla
DD 02 Nov 2000

"Mamma Mia" > wrote in message
> our 3 yo gets pains in his legs - and i hav to rub his legs and he
> eventually falls asleep. sometimes i give him ibuprofen(spel?). he does
> not get this during the day. it is usually after abig day's playing, but
> also to do with growing pains i feel.
>
> might be that?
>
> christine
> "Lejla/Lyla" > wrote in message
> > Our DD has been waking up every night at 3 am for the last four nights.
> >
> > She had a throat and nose infection and was receiving antibiotics and
the
> > treatment ended a few days before she started waking up at night. The
> > treatment ended after a doctor check-up who said everything was ok. I
> don't
> > feel like having to go to the doctor again, so please give me some ideas
> why
> > this is happening.
> >
> > DD wakes up crying and seems to be upset or in pain (she does not know
how
> > to explain what is wrong and seems to be too upset to communicate). We
> take
> > her to the loo, give her some tea or warm milk, try to comfort her, but
> this
> > crying goes on for an hour or hour and a half. It is stopped instantly
by
> > some familiar music, but even with the music she does not go back to
> sleep.
> > Her nose also starts running (although we have warm air humidifier on at
> all
> > times in winter) and she rubs her eyes. Her throat is not red, she is
not
> in
> > pain when we check her ears for pain. We thought she might be going
> through
> > a growth period as she just turned 3 years old and increased her dinner
> > size, which she eats, but still wakes up promptly at 3 am. She was out
of
> > day-care for a week because of the infection, but she knows the children
> and
> > carers for a long time and this is not the first time she was out
(holiday
> > or infection) and back again.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Lejla/Lyla
> > DD 02 Nov 2000

PF Riley
November 11th 03, 06:07 AM
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:00:14 -0500, "L. Kincaid" >
wrote:

>Ignoramus6554 wrote:
>>
>> What are these growing pains, is it a medical condition?
>
>It's a phrase that people like PF Riley use when they cannot
>explain a medical condition .... it's like being in denial.
>(Such a strong emotion.)

Note that I didn't call it "growing pain syndrome." People often use
the word "syndrome" when they seek validation for an otherwise
nebulous and/or ill-defined condition. Hmm I wonder if I can think of
an example...

>This boy is displaying symptoms of RLS. Period. Chances are ....
>he will be (50% chance) ADD or ADHD.

He will be a disorder?

Did you mean to say he has a 50% chance of having or developing ADHD?

PF

Allie
November 11th 03, 05:03 PM
I would be interested too in what people have to say. I have a 21
month old son who has woken up the past 2 nights screaming
uncontrollably. He has never done this before, even being one of those
kids that didn't sleep through the night until after he was 1.
Teething, nightwaking, all previous experiences have been something we
could address and help him get back to sleep. This morning he didn't
6:30-7:00)

Allie

"Lejla/Lyla" > wrote in message >...
> "Lejla/Lyla" > wrote in message
> > Our DD has been waking up every night at 3 am for the last four nights.
> >
> > She had a throat and nose infection and was receiving antibiotics and the
> > treatment ended a few days before she started waking up at night. The
> > treatment ended after a doctor check-up who said everything was ok. I
> don't
> > feel like having to go to the doctor again, so please give me some ideas
> why
> > this is happening.
> >
> > DD wakes up crying and seems to be upset or in pain (she does not know how
> > to explain what is wrong and seems to be too upset to communicate). We
> take
> > her to the loo, give her some tea or warm milk, try to comfort her, but
> this
> > crying goes on for an hour or hour and a half. It is stopped instantly by
> > some familiar music, but even with the music she does not go back to
> sleep.
> > Her nose also starts running (although we have warm air humidifier on at
> all
> > times in winter) and she rubs her eyes. Her throat is not red, she is not
> in
> > pain when we check her ears for pain. We thought she might be going
> through
> > a growth period as she just turned 3 years old and increased her dinner
> > size, which she eats, but still wakes up promptly at 3 am. She was out of
> > day-care for a week because of the infection, but she knows the children
> and
> > carers for a long time and this is not the first time she was out (holiday
> > or infection) and back again.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Lejla/Lyla
> > DD 02 Nov 2000
> >

> Just to update and say that we visited DD's doctor and the nose and throat
> infection had not returned. We also visited an ear-nose-throat specialist
> who examined her ears and then the throat and nose again and said everything
> was ok and that there was no inflammation at all.
> This was a great relief- I guess many parents, as well as ourselves, dread
> the ear infection because of its pain and persistence. However, as I am
> writing this DD has been up for two hours already. We now think it is either
> nightmares - she woke up saying no, no, no - or "growing pains" as the leg
> massage helped calm her down (but again massage helps whenever she is
> upset).
> Any other suggestions or advice for these early a.m. hour zombie parents is
> still most welcome.

Nikki
November 11th 03, 08:36 PM
Allie wrote:
> I would be interested too in what people have to say. I have a 21
> month old son who has woken up the past 2 nights screaming
> uncontrollably. He has never done this before, even being one of those
> kids that didn't sleep through the night until after he was 1.
> Teething, nightwaking, all previous experiences have been something we
> could address and help him get back to sleep. This morning he didn't
> 6:30-7:00)

Bringing them to bed with you would probably work. It has always worked for
me like that anyway. They wake up, the come to bed with me, they go right
back to sleep. Sometimes Luke will want a drink of water and sometimes
Hunter will need to pee, but then they go right back to sleep if in bed with
me. Some kids really resist going back to sleeping on their own so if
partial co-sleeping is just as much a problem as the night waking then it
might not be the right solution. I start out co-sleeping so this is not an
issue for me.
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Allie
November 12th 03, 03:27 PM
You would think! I tried that and he would have nothing to do with
laying in our bed. He does usually play there in the mornings, getting
under the covers and lying on the pillow like we do. We didn't co
sleep though, so I don't think he gets the connection of it being a
treat to be with us, but you have to sleep!

Allie