PDA

View Full Version : Re: FAO Beth

H Schinske
July 8th 03, 01:07 AM
>The thread on whole milk got me thinking...once a baby weans (either
>weans by themselves or "forced"), if they are allergic to dairy, what is
>the fat that they can take to help brain development instead of the fat
>found in whole milk?

Dairy fats are *not* much like the fat in breastmilk anyway. I just found a
pretty cool page that says, among other things:

"The kind of milk you transition to makes little difference to me. The idea is
that the kids need a source of fat in their diet for the first two years of
life because the fat helps with brain maturation and development. The AAP has
always said to use whole milk as a way to provide that fat, but there isn't
anything special in the fat of whole cow's milk that helps human brains grow. I
personally think the recommendation comes from the belief that we, as parents,
are giving our kids only fruits, veggies, whole grains and lean meats and
therefore we would never get fat into our kids any other way than whole milk.
I guess I just don't think it's hard to find sources of fat in a normal
American diet and in this time of increasing childhood obesity, I think the fat
in whole milk is just excessive and unnecessary (unless you are only giving
your kids the good stuff I mentioned above). So... make sure that your child
gets about 30% of their calories from fat every day, just like we, as adults,
are supposed to do."

http://www.drjen4kids.com/InfantStuff/diet.htm

--Helen

Elana Kehoe
July 8th 03, 10:00 AM
H Schinske > wrote:

> >The thread on whole milk got me thinking...once a baby weans (either
> >weans by themselves or "forced"), if they are allergic to dairy, what is
> >the fat that they can take to help brain development instead of the fat
> >found in whole milk?
>
> Dairy fats are *not* much like the fat in breastmilk anyway. I just found a
> pretty cool page that says, among other things:

Thanks for the info. I like that page too :-).