PDA

View Full Version : Re: Infant suddenly refusing bottle

Heather
July 8th 03, 01:59 AM
Astromum > wrote in message >...
> Heather wrote:
> > He is teething so I'm
> > sure that's part of the reason, but if anyone has any suggestions of
> > what to do that would be great.
>
> Have you tried offering him the milk directly from the fridge? DS
> loved to have cold drinks while teething.

I'll have to try it. the cold didn't upset the stomach?

Patty Reali
July 8th 03, 02:54 AM
"Heather" > wrote in message
om...
> Until approximately a week ago I was able to nurse my baby and give
> him a bottle when needed. (of expressed milk). My husband can't get
> him to take a bottle now, and neither can I. He is teething so I'm
> sure that's part of the reason, but if anyone has any suggestions of
> what to do that would be great.

How old is your DS? Ours took a bottle fine from about 4-5 weeks until he
was about 4 months old, then within a week just wanted no more of it! We
tried all sorts of things - different temperatures of the milk, different
bottles/nipples, with DS facing away from DH, with DH carrying DS around,
with the water running in the kitchen sink, etc. Some were helpful, others
not . . . we wound up teaching him to use a soft-spout sippy cup and a
sports bottle - the kind with a straw top. Took about 2-3 weeks until he
could use the sippy cup well, and a little longer for the sports bottle, but
now that's what he drinks from, at 8.5 months. Someone on the ng also
suggested blindfolding the baby - worked for that particular baby, I
suppose. We never did try that, though . . .

Good luck!

Patty

Heather
July 17th 03, 11:13 PM
"Patty Reali" > wrote in message >...
> "Heather" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Until approximately a week ago I was able to nurse my baby and give
> > him a bottle when needed. (of expressed milk). My husband can't get
> > him to take a bottle now, and neither can I. He is teething so I'm
> > sure that's part of the reason, but if anyone has any suggestions of
> > what to do that would be great.
>
> How old is your DS? Ours took a bottle fine from about 4-5 weeks until he
> was about 4 months old, then within a week just wanted no more of it! We
> tried all sorts of things - different temperatures of the milk, different
> bottles/nipples, with DS facing away from DH, with DH carrying DS around,
> with the water running in the kitchen sink, etc. Some were helpful, others
> not . . . we wound up teaching him to use a soft-spout sippy cup and a
> sports bottle - the kind with a straw top. Took about 2-3 weeks until he
> could use the sippy cup well, and a little longer for the sports bottle, but
> now that's what he drinks from, at 8.5 months. Someone on the ng also
> suggested blindfolding the baby - worked for that particular baby, I
> suppose. We never did try that, though . . .
>
> Good luck!
>
> Patty

He's 3 1/2 months old. We had started giving him a bottle within the
first two weeks and he was fine. Its been just an all of the sudden
thing. I'm going to try the sippy cup. I'll keep you posted.

Patty Reali
July 18th 03, 12:36 PM
"Heather" > wrote in message
om...

> He's 3 1/2 months old. We had started giving him a bottle within the
> first two weeks and he was fine. Its been just an all of the sudden
> thing. I'm going to try the sippy cup. I'll keep you posted.

Please do - sounds a lot like our experience. I guess when they get to a
certain age and start noticing the world more, they develop some pretty
strong preferences about things!

Patty