PDA

View Full Version : Re: Sleeping through night nursings

Larry McMahan
July 8th 03, 03:07 AM
Akuvikate > writes:
: While pregnant, I was eager about the concept of co-sleeping (we have
: an Arms Reach sidecar type co-sleeper) partly in order to avoid having
: to wake up and get out of bed for night-time feedings. I read about
: this lovely ability of co-sleeping moms and babies to take care of
: night nursing sessions with both practically sleeping through the
: whole thing. Well, it still sounds like a lovely concept. But it's
: very far from my reality. When I try to nurse in bed all three of us
: are awake for the whole thing what with trying to get a good latch,
: switching the Bug from one side to the other, burping, a diaper
: change, etc. In addition, I think Bug (who's three weeks old) and I
: don't manage to get quite as good a latch because nursing lying down
: often increases my nipple soreness. The _Nursing_Mothers_Companion_
: mentions that side-lying nursing gets easier once the baby has better
: head control. We only try this on weekends or days that DH doesn't
: need to drive into work, as I don't like the idea of him doing his
: long freeway commute completely sleep deprived (weekdays I go into
: another room). Is there other than time for Bug's motor development
: and practice that will get us closer to this wonderful day when we all
: doze through a leisurely night snack?

: Kate
: and Bug June 8 2003

Well, fortunately, I was able to (mostly) sleep through Monika's night
nursings early on, even though she had to turn on a flashlight to get
a good latch. I would wake up when she turned the flashlight on, would
keep my eyes closed, and by the time she had latched the baby on and
turned the light off, I was asleep again.

As far as when it gets easier, I think it was sometime between 5 and 8
weeks. You only have to hang in there a little while longer. The first
thing you will be able to do is latch on in the dark. Again, this will
be in another 2 to 6 weeks. After a couple of weeks, I would suggest
trying to latch in the dark without turning on the flashlight.

The next thing will be to drop the middle of the night diaper change.
This will really turn to "don't change it unless it is wet." You won't
be able to drop the change every night suddenly, but you will find that
it will be necessary less and less often.

The last thing will be being able to nurse from the top breast, so that
you don't have to roll over to switch sides. Again, we found a way to
switch sides that disturbed me the least. This involved Monika getting
up on her hands and knees over the baby, sliding it under her, then lying
down on the other side. Yes, it woke me, but it was quick and I was
asleep again soon.

Hope some of this helps. You shouldn't have to be getting up.

Larry

Akuvikate
July 14th 03, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies. We've gotten better at it -- this
Saturday I had the most glorious nights sleep in 5 weeks. I only
stayed awake through one nursing (and diaper change, since the night I
tried skipping that she soaked all the way through her diaper and left
a little wet spot on the bed). The others I just helped her get
plugged in and went back to sleep. Reassuringly whenever we wake up
she's on her back or side and with the blankets below her arms, so I
feel OK about having her in bed with us. Unfortunately DH is still
afraid that he'll roll over onto her, so he didn't sleep well that
night. However I have tried feeding from the top breast (less
comfortable for me, but do-able) and he's not nervous when she's on my
side, so perhaps we'll just go with that for now. She's sometimes
kind of messy about it and I have a spritzer on the right boob, so she
has at times woken up with not only a milk mustache, but also a milk
beard and dried bits of spray on her forehead. But I just wipe it off
in the morning and hope that breastmilk is good for her skin!

Kate
and Bug June 8 2003

(Akuvikate) wrote in message >...
> While pregnant, I was eager about the concept of co-sleeping (we have
> an Arms Reach sidecar type co-sleeper) partly in order to avoid having
> to wake up and get out of bed for night-time feedings. I read about
> this lovely ability of co-sleeping moms and babies to take care of
> night nursing sessions with both practically sleeping through the
> whole thing. Well, it still sounds like a lovely concept. But it's
> very far from my reality. When I try to nurse in bed all three of us
> are awake for the whole thing what with trying to get a good latch,
> switching the Bug from one side to the other, burping, a diaper
> change, etc. In addition, I think Bug (who's three weeks old) and I
> don't manage to get quite as good a latch because nursing lying down
> often increases my nipple soreness. The _Nursing_Mothers_Companion_
> mentions that side-lying nursing gets easier once the baby has better
> head control. We only try this on weekends or days that DH doesn't
> need to drive into work, as I don't like the idea of him doing his
> long freeway commute completely sleep deprived (weekdays I go into
> another room). Is there other than time for Bug's motor development
> and practice that will get us closer to this wonderful day when we all
> doze through a leisurely night snack?
>
> Kate
> and Bug June 8 2003

teapot
July 15th 03, 09:13 AM
(Akuvikate) wrote in message >...
snip
However I have tried feeding from the top breast (less
> comfortable for me, but do-able) and he's not nervous when she's on my
> side, so perhaps we'll just go with that for now. She's sometimes
> kind of messy about it and I have a spritzer on the right boob, so she
> has at times woken up with not only a milk mustache, but also a milk
> beard and dried bits of spray on her forehead. But I just wipe it off
> in the morning and hope that breastmilk is good for her skin!

I thought there was some very light rain getting through the window
the other day, I kept looking around for the source of spray that I
could feel. It took me ages to work it out. Yep, it was me!

teapot

teapot
July 16th 03, 08:46 AM
Larry McMahan > wrote in message >...
> snip
> > The last thing will be being able to nurse from the top breast, so that
> you don't have to roll over to switch sides. snip

I must learn to do this 'cos I woke up this morning with the moo boy
between us, far too low down. In fact I probably woke up because I
rolled on him a bit. Luckily its hot here so our covers were low but I
dread to think what might have happened.

I read that you shouldnt co sleep if you are 'very tired', now how do
you avoid that!

teapot
and moo boy 8th June 03