PDA

View Full Version : Re: Why is she doing this? (OAL?)

July 8th 03, 05:47 PM
"HollyLewis" > wrote in message
> >Lately, while feeding, dd (5 months) will start flailing her arms and
> >popping off the breast. Usually, I just get her back on, and she will
> >do it repeatedly about 4 or 5 times, then settle down and eat normally.
> >She almost acts as if she is uncomfortable, i check to make sure nothing
> >is wrong (arms aren't pinched or bent a funny way, etc.). From what
> >I've read about others experience with OAL, it almost sounds like what
> >she is doing. Is it likely to develop OAL 5 months into bfing? Any
> >suggestiong?
> >
> >tia,
> >Jodie
>
> I doubt it's OAL at 5 months. More likely she's gassy or uncomfortable
for
> some similar minor physical reason, or she's just plain getting
distractable
> now that she has a lot more control over her own body and better long
distance
> vision. (Ooooh, look, a flash of light out the window! Hey, over there
is my
> favorite teddy bear! What's mommy doing now? Oh, right, I was nursing.
Mmmm,
> what was THAT? Oh, a dust mote just went by.)
>
> If she settles down after a few tries, she's fine. You may have a little
more
> trouble NIP than formerly, but that's all.
>
> Holly
> Mom to Camden, 2 yrs

I think I have OAL. my DD does this after she's been nursing for a little
while. I figured it was because she actually *had* to suck for a change
instead of just swallow.
are there any ways of getting rid of OAL? is OAL associated with me waking
up soaking (I mean SOAKED!) wet each morning and horribly engorged?
My DD is 7 weeks old today.
Edith

Chookie
July 9th 03, 08:14 AM
In article >,
"E" > wrote:

> are there any ways of getting rid of OAL? is OAL associated with me waking
> up soaking (I mean SOAKED!) wet each morning and horribly engorged?

Yep!

You could try:

1. Feeding from only one breast each feed.
2. Feeding from one breast for 2-3 hours, then switching to the other for the
next 2-3 hours, and so on.

The length of time between alternations would depend on how uncomfortable you
get -- don't let it get too painful.

BTDT,

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

July 10th 03, 10:49 PM
"Chookie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "E" > wrote:
>
> > are there any ways of getting rid of OAL? is OAL associated with me
waking
> > up soaking (I mean SOAKED!) wet each morning and horribly engorged?
>
> Yep!
>
> You could try:
>
> 1. Feeding from only one breast each feed.
> 2. Feeding from one breast for 2-3 hours, then switching to the other for
the
> next 2-3 hours, and so on.
>
> The length of time between alternations would depend on how uncomfortable
you
> get -- don't let it get too painful.
>
> BTDT,
>
> --
> Chookie -- Sydney, Australia
> (Replace "foulspambegone" with "optushome" to reply)
>
> "...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
> or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

I do only feed one breast each feed... I'll have to try the Only one side
for 2-3 hours. I haven't tried that, 'cause I start leaking too much...

Edith
nak. she seems to be eating and sleeping for most of the day today. does
sleep go along with a growth spurt?