PDA

View Full Version : bottle is easier...

July 9th 03, 03:24 PM
maybe it's just me, but my milk flows much faster than the bottle,
especially with a let down. it seems like I am trying to drown my DD
sometimes. she gets very frustrated id she has to suck more than once or
twice instead of just swallowing. She's 7 weeks old. I'm hoping this will
taper off with time, but right now, I am easier than a bottle...
Edith

lots of snips
"Naomi Pardue" > wrote in message
>The milk flows faster from the bottle. Also, if your baby is used to
> drinking from the bottle, he is going to expect the milk to flow from your
> breast in the same way, and he may get frustrated when that doesn't
happen.

> Hope this helps.
>

> Naomi
> CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator
>
> (either remove spamblock or change address to to
e-mail
> reply.)

Lucy
July 9th 03, 07:36 PM
"E" > wrote in message
> maybe it's just me, but my milk flows much faster than the bottle,
> especially with a let down. it seems like I am trying to drown my DD
> sometimes. she gets very frustrated id she has to suck more than once or
> twice instead of just swallowing. She's 7 weeks old. I'm hoping this
will
> taper off with time, but right now, I am easier than a bottle...
> Edith

I've found this to be the case too. My DD seems to take forever to finish a
bottle, whereas she power-nurses and gets full in about 10 minutes at the
breast. I thought the idea about babies having an easier time getting milk
from a bottle really only applied when they haven't fully got the hang of
latching and sucking properly, so they can't get the let-down quickly
enough.

For what it's worth, it really hasn't tapered off in our case. She's now
almost 8 months and in day care. Fortunately, I get to nurse her when I drop
her off in the morning, then I take an early lunch and nurse her again.
She's supposed to get a bottle, as well as some cereal, fruit and veg in the
afternoon, but whilst she'll eat the solids, she usually won't take more
than an ounce or two from the bottle. If she gets hungry enough, of course,
she will, but I think she knows I'm going to show up soon and so she holds
out for me!

Phoebe & Allyson
July 9th 03, 08:00 PM
E wrote:

> maybe it's just me, but my milk flows much faster than the bottle,
> especially with a let down.

When we introduced a bottle, I wasn't able to pump enough
for a full feeding. So when she finally finished the
bottle, I topped her up by bf from the very full,
fast-flowing, already leaking side. Just so she'd be clear
about which was easier. ;)

Phoebe :)