PDA

View Full Version : Easier?!?

Clisby Williams
July 9th 03, 07:52 AM
E wrote:

>lots of snips...
>

>>Mama: No, that's OK. Formula is much easier anyway. I just gave up it
>>wasn't worth it.
>>

>OK, my stupid question for the day (remembering that I am LAZY, and don't do
>something if I don't have to...)
>How is ff easier than bf???!??
>Edith

Because anybody can feed the baby; there's no need for you to do it all.

Clisby

July 9th 03, 03:42 PM
lots of snips...

> Mama: No, that's OK. Formula is much easier anyway. I just gave up it
> wasn't worth it.

OK, my stupid question for the day (remembering that I am LAZY, and don't do
something if I don't have to...)
How is ff easier than bf???!??
Edith

KC
July 9th 03, 06:17 PM
I just posted to this, but I don't think it worked so I will try
again.

I think ff easier because I wouldn't have to sit for hours on end with
a baby attached to my nipple. I am sure for the people who feed for
10 minutes every 3 hours bf is easier, but many people have to spend
way more time bf than they would have to ff.

For me nights make bf good, but for others nights are very difficult
because they get backaches from it.

KC

"E" > wrote in message >...
> lots of snips...
> >
> > Mama: No, that's OK. Formula is much easier anyway. I just gave up it
> > wasn't worth it.
> >

> OK, my stupid question for the day (remembering that I am LAZY, and don't do
> something if I don't have to...)
> How is ff easier than bf???!??
> Edith

Phoebe & Allyson
July 9th 03, 07:23 PM
Chotii wrote:

> Nor do I have any desire to hand this kiddo, due
> any week now, to anybody to feed. The emotional anguish alone would make it
> *harder* for me, not easier.

At some point in the second week, someone suggested that it
wouldn't be the end of the world if Caterpillar had a bottle
of formula so I could have a break. But from my perspective
(being the only person around who had never even touched a
baby that small before, much less had experience dealing
with one), if anyone could feed her, then there was
absolutely nothing I was needed for.

Phoebe :)

Dawn Lawson
July 9th 03, 07:45 PM
Phoebe & Allyson wrote:

> Chotii wrote:
>
> > Nor do I have any desire to hand this kiddo, due
> > any week now, to anybody to feed. The emotional anguish alone would make it
> > *harder* for me, not easier.
>
> At some point in the second week, someone suggested that it
> wouldn't be the end of the world if Caterpillar had a bottle
> of formula so I could have a break.

One of the "top ten" ways that bfding relationships are sabotagued early on.
The reasons are honestly SO predictable why most women who don't manage to bfd
end up quitting (what a horrid sentence).

And why does the bottle have to have formula? I can see MAYBE a bottle of EBM.

Good for you Phoebe, for sticking with it. More important than anyone
else......you're the ONLY one that can make breastmilk specifically for your
daughter. I think that makes you pretty irreplaceable! ;-)

Dawn

Stephanie S
July 9th 03, 07:57 PM
"E" > wrote in message
> lots of snips...
> >
> > Mama: No, that's OK. Formula is much easier anyway. I just gave up it
> > wasn't worth it.
> >

> OK, my stupid question for the day (remembering that I am LAZY, and don't
do
> something if I don't have to...)
> How is ff easier than bf???!??
> Edith

I would venture a guess that ffing is easier than LEARNING to bf.

Stephanie S
July 9th 03, 08:01 PM
There are pros and cons to everything. I think about the diaper bag my frond
carried and I groan. I carried a diaper and a travel wipes container in my
purse. At first I carried an emergency backup outfit if I thought of it. My
son was not a spitter and rarelty blew a diaper.

So out and about, I definitely thought n ursing was easier. I never could
latch and go, but I could sit down and nurse anywhere. I was NOT good at
doing it discreetly. But I did not care. I did my best and anyone who did
not want to see could look elsewhere. It took a few seconds to get latched
and that was it.

I am a little nervous about the early days with my upcoming newborn with a
2.5 yo at home. I guess I will just have to get better at nursing on the
move. I hope my little girl digs nursing and makes it easy on me. :)

"KC" > wrote in message
om...
> I just posted to this, but I don't think it worked so I will try
> again.
>
> I think ff easier because I wouldn't have to sit for hours on end with
> a baby attached to my nipple. I am sure for the people who feed for
> 10 minutes every 3 hours bf is easier, but many people have to spend
> way more time bf than they would have to ff.
>
> For me nights make bf good, but for others nights are very difficult
> because they get backaches from it.
>
> KC
>

> "E" > wrote in message
> > lots of snips...
> > >
> > > Mama: No, that's OK. Formula is much easier anyway. I just gave up
it
> > > wasn't worth it.
> > >

> > OK, my stupid question for the day (remembering that I am LAZY, and
don't do
> > something if I don't have to...)
> > How is ff easier than bf???!??
> > Edith

Elizabeth Reid
July 9th 03, 08:12 PM
"E" > wrote in message >...
> lots of snips...
> >
> > Mama: No, that's OK. Formula is much easier anyway. I just gave up it
> > wasn't worth it.
> >

> OK, my stupid question for the day (remembering that I am LAZY, and don't do
> something if I don't have to...)
> How is ff easier than bf???!??

I posted something about this in the other thread, but here goes:

It really depends on your situation. I think there are combinations
of circumstances that would make one or the other easier or
harder.

IMO, breast feeding is easier if:

* you don't go back to work, so no pumping or bottles required
* you don't have other duties that would be difficult to manage
with the lengthy nursing sessions of a newborn
* you have an ample supply
* you are able to nurse lying down, and/or asleep, and/or you have
a baby that sleeps some longer stretches early on
* you have no latching struggles, so no anxiety or pain

If, instead, you're in a lot of pain, or you've gone
back to work and are trying to nurse a baby every two
hours at night then function during the day with no
naps, ff might seem a lot easier.

The one thing that really distinguishes bottle-feeding from
nursing is that *someone else can do it*. If you have a
child who is waking frequently at night, your partner or a
family member can potentially do some feeding. If you can
pump enough to do this with breast milk, then that helps,
although this is advised against because of possible
interference with supply. If you can't, then it's
nurse or nothing. If you can't figure out how to nurse
lying down or the baby doesn't like that position,
you have to be awake for all the night nursing.

Personally: my son was combi-fed, because I couldn't
pump enough to keep him going during the day. I was
stubborn about night feedings though, and I never
let him have formula at night, although at some
point we had to start supplementing him during the
day even when I was there because my supply would
dip during the hours my body 'expected' him to be
away from me. He went through several growth spurts
while I was working, and BOY would it have been nice
in some ways to have been able to ask his night-owl
father to do some night feedings. I didn't do it,
because getting as much breastmilk as possible into
him was a priority for me, but it sure wasn't the
convenience of the thing that kept me going.

Beth
Sam 8/16/2002

Karen Askey
July 9th 03, 08:19 PM
In article >,
(KC) writes:

>I think ff easier because I wouldn't have to sit for hours on end with
>a baby attached to my nipple. I am sure for the people who feed for
>10 minutes every 3 hours bf is easier, but many people have to spend
>way more time bf than they would have to ff.

This totally doesn't apply to me! DS takes a long time to eat from his bottle.
It used to take over an hour to get him to eat 2 ounces. Now it's about 30
minutes to eat about 4 onces, so it's gotten better. No, I can't get faster
flow nipples--he has a cleft palate and I use special nipples for that.

Sure, i can get a break now and then by handing him to someone else, but I'd
rather sling him up and let him stay attached 24/7 compared to what we do now.
At least things are getting better and I can still pump plenty for him. But
then there's the extra time for washing nipples and pump parts.

koa
Still nursing James, 02/06/01
EP'ing for Joey 04/02/03 (BiCP)

July 9th 03, 08:37 PM
"Clisby Williams" > wrote in message

> E wrote:
>
> >lots of snips...
> >
> >>Mama: No, that's OK. Formula is much easier anyway. I just gave up it
> >>wasn't worth it.
> >>
> >OK, my stupid question for the day (remembering that I am LAZY, and don't
do
> >something if I don't have to...)
> >How is ff easier than bf???!??
> >Edith
> >
> Because anybody can feed the baby; there's no need for you to do it all.
>
> Clisby

ok, i guess... i just pump (no supply issue) and have bottles ready for
later. still seems easier/faster/less expensive than having to buy/mix,
etc. formula. not to mention the added benefit of feeding while i sleep :)
Edith

July 9th 03, 08:45 PM
"Stephanie S" > wrote in message
t...

> "E" > wrote in message
> > lots of snips...
> > >
> > > Mama: No, that's OK. Formula is much easier anyway. I just gave up
it
> > > wasn't worth it.
> > >

> > OK, my stupid question for the day (remembering that I am LAZY, and
don't
> do
> > something if I don't have to...)
> > How is ff easier than bf???!??
> > Edith
> >

> I would venture a guess that ffing is easier than LEARNING to bf.

i had a harder time remembering how to bf than i did for my first two 15/18
years ago. i just stuck them there and it worked (very lucky, i guess). it
might be more difficult for me to remember how much of what to mix, and how
warm to get it, etc. (but this is me).
the other thing that never seems to get mentioned here is the other end of
the equation (pardon the pun)
ff diapers smell horrid! i have been known to gag while changing them. i
actually enjoy the smell of my DD's diapers...
Edith

Dawn Lawson
July 9th 03, 08:59 PM
Astromum wrote:

> Elizabeth Reid wrote:
> >>lots of snips...
> even more snips
>
> > It really depends on your situation. I think there are combinations
> > of circumstances that would make one or the other easier or
> > harder.
>
> I agree, but many of these circumstances are within our personal
> control, although we don't like to admit that. People tend to stick
> to habits and circumstances they are used to, since they know what
> to expect. Making a change requires motivation and effort. IMO a baby
> is the best possible reason to make that effort, and too many women
> (either out of ignorance or convenience) use lame excuses not to.

Hear hear.
Trying to decide if I should pro-actively email my cousin and beg her to
reconsider her already made choice to ff her unconcieved child. At least
to START with nursing, since she can't go back to that and can always
switch to formula.

She was trying to figure out why her friend wouldn't go out with her and
hubby, but would go out with her bfding friends. Frankly, after only one
conversation with her wrt nursing, and babies, I understand why
completely. She sneers at any mention that breast is best, doesn't
"believe in" the statistics and fact wrt the benefits of breastmilk, and
finds the idea of nursing to be too inconvenient (despite seeing me NIP
all over the place simply and easily) to bother with. (I pointed out, as
calmly as my pounding adrenalin filled body could manage, that it wasn't
like the Tooth Fairy, or Father Christmas, and belief had nothing to do
with the actual facts of teh benefits of nursing)

Dawn, finding this is really bothering me today

Astromum
July 9th 03, 09:13 PM
Dawn Lawson wrote:

<snips>
> Dawn, finding this is really bothering me today
> --

Yes, it can be tough when people simply do not want to listen,
or even try to. Leave her be for a while. You can always keep
praying for a little miracle to happen when she does get pregnant.

Personally I get freaked every time I hear the 'another can feed
the baby' excuse from FF parents. Like DH never gave DS EBM....
But they will always find a way around your arguments, so I decided
to put my energy into people who do try...

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Elizabeth Reid
July 10th 03, 02:23 AM
Astromum > wrote in message >...
> Dawn Lawson wrote:
> >
> <snips>
> > Dawn, finding this is really bothering me today
> > --
>
> Yes, it can be tough when people simply do not want to listen,
> or even try to. Leave her be for a while. You can always keep
> praying for a little miracle to happen when she does get pregnant.
>
> Personally I get freaked every time I hear the 'another can feed
> the baby' excuse from FF parents. Like DH never gave DS EBM....
> But they will always find a way around your arguments, so I decided
> to put my energy into people who do try...

Again, a partner feeding EBM depends on the ability to pump
effectively. Not everyone has that, and that's one of the
factors that I mentioned that might effect one's perception of
ease.

Beth
Sam 8/16/2002

Di
July 10th 03, 05:03 AM
On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 18:45:33 GMT, Dawn Lawson >
wrote:

>And why does the bottle have to have formula? I can see MAYBE a bottle of EBM.

This is a good point, and very valid. DD has had bottles but only ever
water (post 9 months) or EBM (from birth). Twice DH has given DD a
bottle of EBM to give me a break (both times I was dealing with
mastitis and had been feeding DD for at least 1 hour - he basically
got a bottle together, ran me a hot bath and said - go get in bath
I'll feed her :)).

Di

CY
July 10th 03, 08:01 AM
Don't even get me started on that question. It's all perception. I find
that generally (though not ALWAYS) people who have *supply issues* or *poor
latch* continue to have these problems because they don't seek proper help.
Many people rely on laymen to resolve these issues and don't want to pay for
the services of an IBCLC, or mistakenly believe that they cannot afford it
(compare the cost of an hour with a IBCLC to a month's worth of formula,
more doctors visits, time off work to care for sicklier kids etc etc etc).
Or, when the LC says "rent a pump" or "take this herb" or "pump every two
hours till your supply improves" or whatever, THEN they think FF is easier.
And yes then there's the fact that you can hand the baby off to someone else
to give a bottle. Some people who are not committed to bf have the attitude
that if it's not easy, it's not worth it and while there are truly some
mamas out there who have genuine problems and have given it ALL they have,
they are few and far between. Most just feel that for whatever reason it's
"just not worth it". It makes me sad that their babies aren't worth it. I
see this a LOT in my job (and I also see the poor mama's that come in,
desperate to feed their babies and work with the IBCLC's for WEEKS and they
are SO incredibly happy when (in the majority of cases) they make it. A
good IBCLC can make all the difference. That's just my two cents.

Didn't realize I was such a lactivist till I came here!!

CY
"E" > wrote in message
> lots of snips...
> >
> > Mama: No, that's OK. Formula is much easier anyway. I just gave up it
> > wasn't worth it.
> >

> OK, my stupid question for the day (remembering that I am LAZY, and don't
do
> something if I don't have to...)
> How is ff easier than bf???!??
> Edith

andrea
July 10th 03, 12:46 PM
I couldn't imagine not breastfeeding my baby, I love the bonding of it.Also
I can have my hand free to read a book, or type :o).
I formula fed baby #1 for 5 days, as my partner told me breastfeeding was
disgusting! I was only 18 so went with it, until on the 5th day I thought,
"To hell with him!". I put Peter to my breast and it was such a warm feeling
that passed between us - something that I hadn't experienced with formula
feeding.
I couldn't FF, I don't have time for all the hassles, I have 5 kids, and
it's far easier to pop Kamron onto my breast, it's the right temp, and it's
free. Most of all if the baby had a choice, I am sure babies would vote
breastmilk everytime!

--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 4
"Dawn Lawson" > wrote in message

Astromum
July 10th 03, 03:21 PM
Elizabeth Reid wrote:

> If something requires "motivation and effort", it's not
> easier I don't think.

IME this is a major misconception. I have found in my life
that some effort can make things a lot easier later on. It's
a bit like grocery shopping: I hate making a list, but since
it helps me to keep the expenses under control and minimizes
the time I spend in the store, the effort makes things easier.

Now if they would just say 'I don't want to go through all
the trouble', or something like 'that is too much effort for
us', I could at least respect them for being honest with me.
I've heard 'DH can feed the baby' just a few times too often
to believe that all these women are incapable of pumping...

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)
TTC #2
"What's the use of brains if you are a girl?"
Aletta Jacobs, first Dutch woman to receive a PhD

Elizabeth Reid
July 10th 03, 06:01 PM
Astromum > wrote in message >...
> Elizabeth Reid wrote:
> >
> > If something requires "motivation and effort", it's not
> > easier I don't think.
>
> IME this is a major misconception. I have found in my life
> that some effort can make things a lot easier later on. It's
> a bit like grocery shopping: I hate making a list, but since
> it helps me to keep the expenses under control and minimizes
> the time I spend in the store, the effort makes things easier.

So your feeling is that breastfeeding is more effort initially,
but less effort as time goes on? Again, I think that might
be true for a SAH mom, but it wasn't true for me after I went
back to work and it might not be true for other WOH moms.

> Now if they would just say 'I don't want to go through all
> the trouble', or something like 'that is too much effort for
> us', I could at least respect them for being honest with me.
> I've heard 'DH can feed the baby' just a few times too often
> to believe that all these women are incapable of pumping...

I don't know, it's not that hard for me to believe, but then
I'm one of those women in a sense. Not incapable of pumping by
any means, but incapable of pumping enough to be able to come
close to equaling the amount the baby would eat during the same
period, so that pumping is always a losing battle. I wouldn't
have been able to have my husband feed the baby at night with
EBM without getting up at the same time to pump, thus defeating
the purpose (and providing less total milk in the bargain).

How is "that [breastfeeding] is too much effort for us" different
from "formula feeding is easier"?

Beth
Sam 8/16/2002

KC
July 10th 03, 06:41 PM
I think you're dealing with the second issue of giving up, but if we
are just talking about which is easier, then dealing with supply
issues is not easier than formula feeding - trust me on this as I have
fed bottles of formula and I have bf and I have pumped. When supply
is low, the easiest way to get enough food into the kid is to ff.
That is not to say that it is the best way, or that I have given up on
bf, just that in that case ff is easier. I did give up on bf with my
first because I had supply issues and I had to go back to work and I
didn't know all the things about building supply like I do now, and I
didn't give up with my second because I didn't need to go back to
work. Because of my past experience I do have empathy for people who
can't make it work and end up finding formula easier. I do agree that
there are probably alot of people who don't give it a good try before
giving up.

KC

"CY" > wrote in message news:<kb8Pa.656$Bp2.157@fed1read07>...
> Don't even get me started on that question. It's all perception. I find
> that generally (though not ALWAYS) people who have *supply issues* or *poor
> latch* continue to have these problems because they don't seek proper help.
> Many people rely on laymen to resolve these issues and don't want to pay for
> the services of an IBCLC, or mistakenly believe that they cannot afford it
> (compare the cost of an hour with a IBCLC to a month's worth of formula,
> more doctors visits, time off work to care for sicklier kids etc etc etc).
> Or, when the LC says "rent a pump" or "take this herb" or "pump every two
> hours till your supply improves" or whatever, THEN they think FF is easier.
> And yes then there's the fact that you can hand the baby off to someone else
> to give a bottle. Some people who are not committed to bf have the attitude
> that if it's not easy, it's not worth it and while there are truly some
> mamas out there who have genuine problems and have given it ALL they have,
> they are few and far between. Most just feel that for whatever reason it's
> "just not worth it". It makes me sad that their babies aren't worth it. I
> see this a LOT in my job (and I also see the poor mama's that come in,
> desperate to feed their babies and work with the IBCLC's for WEEKS and they
> are SO incredibly happy when (in the majority of cases) they make it. A
> good IBCLC can make all the difference. That's just my two cents.
>
> Didn't realize I was such a lactivist till I came here!!
>
> CY
> "E" > wrote in message
> > lots of snips...
> > >
> > > Mama: No, that's OK. Formula is much easier anyway. I just gave up it
> > > wasn't worth it.
> > >

> > OK, my stupid question for the day (remembering that I am LAZY, and don't
> do
> > something if I don't have to...)
> > How is ff easier than bf???!??
> > Edith

Dawn Lawson
July 10th 03, 07:08 PM
Elizabeth Reid wrote:

> I don't know, it's not that hard for me to believe, but then
> I'm one of those women in a sense. Not incapable of pumping by
> any means, but incapable of pumping enough to be able to come
> close to equaling the amount the baby would eat during the same
> period, so that pumping is always a losing battle.

Beth

I can never believe that pumping is a losing battle.....every bit of breastmilk you can
offer your baby is valuable, and provides benefits.

Dawn

Elizabeth Reid
July 11th 03, 01:15 AM
Astromum > wrote in message >...
> Elizabeth Reid wrote:
> > So your feeling is that breastfeeding is more effort initially,
> > but less effort as time goes on? Again, I think that might
> > be true for a SAH mom, but it wasn't true for me after I went
> > back to work and it might not be true for other WOH moms.
>
> Yes. Definitely! Again, YMMV and many countries do lack proper
> regulations for this, but with proper information and support,
> it can be that way for *most* women.

Really? I guess the number of women who show up here saying,
"Eeek! I'm only able to pump 3 oz of milk in half an hour!"
who are reassured by being told that the baby can get much more
milk than the pump can has led me to believe that my situation
wasn't that unusual.

> > I don't know, it's not that hard for me to believe, but then
> > I'm one of those women in a sense.
>
> I'm sorry that you are not managing as well as you expected. And
> as said before, we can influence many circumstances that will allow
> BF over FF, not *all*... But at least you have tried! You know where
> your limitations are, and you accept them. That can be hard enough
> as it is. So doesn't it upset you to hear exactly the same arguments
> from someone who didn't even try?

I guess I haven't heard it from anyone who hadn't tried. From
people who never tried, I tend to hear, "Oh, I was formula fed
and I'm fine, so it's not a big deal." The people who I know
who say it was too hard are people who did try, if only for a
few weeks.

Beth
Sam 8/16/2002

Astromum
July 11th 03, 03:15 PM
Elizabeth Reid wrote:

> Really? I guess the number of women who show up here saying,
> "Eeek! I'm only able to pump 3 oz of milk in half an hour!"
> who are reassured by being told that the baby can get much more
> milk than the pump can has led me to believe that my situation
> wasn't that unusual.

You are right, it is not unusual that you are unable to pump the
same amount of milk your baby drinks. But in the case you have
to pump, for whatever reason, there are also easy ways to increase
your supply so you can pump enough. IME pumping is something you
have to learn, like nursing. After a while things often improve,
again: not for all but for many women. Of course there will always
be cases where FF is the best alternative.

> I guess I haven't heard it from anyone who hadn't tried. From
> people who never tried, I tend to hear, "Oh, I was formula fed
> and I'm fine, so it's not a big deal." The people who I know
> who say it was too hard are people who did try, if only for a
> few weeks.

I'm truly glad to hear that! In my circle of friends this was
very different... It is good to know that more and more women
are at least considering BF over FF. The more tries, the more
successes, and the more stimulation for others to try too.

I hope you don't find me rude, I really value your experience
on this topic, but this is my last post on the subject. I need
to get back to work... See ya!

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)
TTC #2
"What's the use of brains if you are a girl?"
Aletta Jacobs, first Dutch woman to receive a PhD

DGoree
July 12th 03, 10:36 PM
(Elizabeth Reid) wrote,

<<So your feeling is that breastfeeding is more effort initially,
but less effort as time goes on? Again, I think that might
be true for a SAH mom, but it wasn't true for me after I went
back to work and it might not be true for other WOH moms. >>

I've always been a WOH mom and I have always (except for the first six weeks
with my first child) found breastfeeding to be easy and convenient. Pumping
"worked" for me, and I would just get up a little bit earlier in the morning to
pump for the day--I am also fortunate in that being a musician is not office
hours although it is a fulltime job.

And I found it MUCH MUCH MUCH more convenient that I didn't need to miss nearly
as much work as did some of my FF acquaintances, because while their babies
were getting ear infection after ear infection, RSV, etc., my daughter didn't
get her first ear infection until fifteen months and has never had another one.
This in spite of being in daycare plus having two older brothers bringing all
sorts of germs home from school.

I would encourage any WOH mother who is serious about her career to plan to
breastfeed, to pump EBM for the caregiver if at all possible, and to combi-feed
as a last resort if pumping enough isn't possible--but absolutely not to
exclusively FF because of the amount of work she may end up missing due to a
sick baby. (To say nothing of how painful it is to watch your baby suffering.)
Any mother making the decision of how to feed her baby based on convenience
needs to remember that sick babies are very inconvenient.

(It is also inconvenient to be an adult with chronic health problems, but that
belongs under the thread about people who say, "well, I was FF'ed and I'm OK.")

Mary Ellen
William (8)
Matthew (6)
Margaret (1)

Stephanie and Tim
July 13th 03, 10:01 PM
"Dawn Lawson" > wrote in message

> Elizabeth Reid wrote:
>
> > I don't know, it's not that hard for me to believe, but then
> > I'm one of those women in a sense. Not incapable of pumping by
> > any means, but incapable of pumping enough to be able to come
> > close to equaling the amount the baby would eat during the same
> > period, so that pumping is always a losing battle.
>
> Beth
>
> I can never believe that pumping is a losing battle.....every bit of
breastmilk you can
> offer your baby is valuable, and provides benefits.
>
> Dawn

I think the idea is that if supply < demand and supply decreases with
pumping, then time will cause supply to approach zero. Poof, nursing done.
The thing is, in order to increase supply, you have to take advantage of all
the possible demand you can while not working. You have to nurse and nurse
and nurse, to the sometimes irritation of Mom and baby. Doable. Laudable.
Good if breastfeeding is your highest priority. By no means easy IMO. Easy
being what we are talking about.

Stephanie

Elizabeth Reid
July 13th 03, 11:35 PM
"Shannon and Joe" > wrote in message news:<cVeQa.47500$GL4.12402@rwcrnsc53>...
> "DGoree" > wrote in message
> > (Elizabeth Reid) wrote,
> >
> > <<So your feeling is that breastfeeding is more effort initially,
> > but less effort as time goes on? Again, I think that might
> > be true for a SAH mom, but it wasn't true for me after I went
> > back to work and it might not be true for other WOH moms. >>
> >
> > I've always been a WOH mom and I have always (except for the first six
> weeks
> > with my first child) found breastfeeding to be easy and convenient.
> Pumping
> > "worked" for me, and I would just get up a little bit earlier in the
> morning to
> > pump for the day--I am also fortunate in that being a musician is not
> office
> > hours although it is a fulltime job.
>
> I am also a WOH mom, went back to work when DS was 12 weeks old. He never
> had a drop of forumla, and thanks to my accepting workplace, pumping was
> never an issue.

Pumping was actually never an issue at my office either. Everyone
was extremely casual about it, except when they could be helpful. :-)
Half the people there had nursed babies or had been fathers to
nursing babies, so it was no problem.

I just happen not to be able to pump much milk. I was very diligent
about it, but I don't respond well to pumps (or at least any of the
ones I tried, including a hospital-grade one). If there was a
pump that was as efficient as an actual baby, my son never would
have had any formula either.

> Just seeing the things involved with FF, (preparation, purchasing,
> sterilization, more Dr visits) I would heartily say it was a LOT easier to
> nurse. Esp. on weekends, when I could just relax and not worry about
> bottles.

Alas for me (and I know I sound like Drama Queen for a day, but
all of this is the truth) I appear to have a supply which is
very demand-dependent. Fairly quickly, my son started getting
super cranky on weekends during the day, and it seemed to be
that since I was only pumping out about 1/3 of the milk my son
had been drinking, my body decided that I only needed that much
milk, so that's all there was during the day, and we started
giving him the same amount of formula at weekends that he got
at day care in addition to daytime nursing.

Beth
Sam 8/16/2002