PDA

View Full Version : Re: Too Soon to Pump??

July 10th 03, 10:08 PM
"JoAnna" > wrote in message
. net...
> Hi all...
>
> My new little one is 11 days old. BFing is going well. She had lost 8oz
from
> her birthweight (10lbs5oz) by the time we were home from the hospital and
> put that back on within 4 days -Yippee :o)
>
> My question is: Is it too early to start pumping? I have the pump parts
> sterelizing now. I feel 'letdown' when we nurse or before hand (if she
> cries, if i think about her crying, if i think about nursing, etc...) Is
> that a good enough sign to indicate pumping will work?
>
> I want to do some baby-free things this time around and figure i better
get
> used to pumping if that's the case. With #1 DS I never pumped (well, once
> when he was 3months so i could go to a wedding) and so could really never
> leave him. Also he nursed to sleep every night which ended up being a
> problem when he was 15months old and couldn't put himself to sleep and
awoke
> to nurse 5 times a night!! I figure if new DD is given a bottle of EBM at
> bedtime by daddy maybe that will help her develope some better sleeping
> skills. i dunno- i'm winging it!! My 1st child never had a bottle (except
> that time for the wedding) and didn't take a pacifier. This time I have
> offered the pacifier and sometimes it helps her calm down.
>
> Is it selfish not to want to be "The Human Pacifier" again? I think it may
> help this baby be a little more independent.
>
> Any input is welcome...:o) JoAnna
> #1 DS BF'd 18.5 months
> #2 DD 11 days old nursing great

I don't think it's ever too early to pump. but, judging by some of the
posts, I don't think I would give a bottle too soon. if you plan to use it
right away, maybe look into a different feeding method...
good luck!
Edith

July 10th 03, 10:17 PM
"Dawn Lawson" > wrote in message

> andrea topposted:
>
> > But not as my experience. I am not a dr or midwife, and I don't come
with a
> > disclaimer!
>
> You don't have to be a dr or a midwife to realise that it isn't good to
advice
> people to do things that have a likelihood of causing them problems. As
> Brigitte points out, you are now aware of the problem of nipple confusion
from
> intro-ing bottles earlier than about 4 weeks. Luckily for you that hasn't
been
> your heartbreaking reality, but there are a few people here who have
> experienced it and are finding it difficult to keep seeing you ignoring
the
> suggestions that you at least MENTION that early bottles can cause
problems.

> > --
> > Andrea mom of -
> > Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 3
> > weeks!
> > Married to David since 2000.

> > > This is not true. Many people here have been explaining it frequently
> > > to you. You know about it now.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Brigitte aa #2145
> > >
> > > "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities.
> > > The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly
submit
> > > to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
> > > intelligence."
> > > ~ Albert Einstein

except, as she points out, she isn't giving advice here, she is relating her
experiences (as requested). I've had 3 kids, given bottles at early ages,
and only with #3 had a problem. luckily, we were able to get past it after
about 3 nights of screaming and persistence.
Edith

JoAnna
July 10th 03, 10:41 PM
well...thanks for all the input folks. I am looking forward to going to a
concert next month and want to get the pumping thing working. I didn't do it
with #1 and so could never leave him for something like that.