PDA

View Full Version : Calcium needed?

iphigenia
July 11th 03, 11:18 PM
Gabe had his 2-year WBV today. The ped said that I could switch him to
low-fat milk now. I told him, well, Gabe doesn't like cow's milk. I was a
bit surprised that he didn't ask about breastmilk or formula then, but he
voiced a concern about calcium. In a way I can understand this since Gabe
doesn't like meat or cheese (though he'll sometimes eat melted cheese mixed
in with other food) or vegetables (though I do puree them and sneak them
into sauces).

Anyone have info on breastmilk and calcium? What solid foods are high in
calcium? The ped's suggestions (fortified OJ and Tums) will not be tolerable
to DS.

BTW, he is one skinny guy - 35" tall but only 26lbs 2 oz! He doesn't look
underfed, though, just tall and lean.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Clisby Williams
July 12th 03, 01:15 AM
iphigenia wrote:

>Anyone have info on breastmilk and calcium? What solid foods are high in
>calcium? The ped's suggestions (fortified OJ and Tums) will not be tolerable
>to DS.

I'm hoping for good effects from the sidewalk chalk. (It's not just a
toy! It's a food!)

Clisby

Corinne
July 12th 03, 01:35 AM
"iphigenia" > wrote in message
> Gabe had his 2-year WBV today. The ped said that I could switch him to
> low-fat milk now. I told him, well, Gabe doesn't like cow's milk. I was a
> bit surprised that he didn't ask about breastmilk or formula then, but he
> voiced a concern about calcium. In a way I can understand this since Gabe
> doesn't like meat or cheese (though he'll sometimes eat melted cheese
mixed
> in with other food) or vegetables (though I do puree them and sneak them
> into sauces).
>
> Anyone have info on breastmilk and calcium? What solid foods are high in
> calcium? The ped's suggestions (fortified OJ and Tums) will not be
tolerable
> to DS.
>
> BTW, he is one skinny guy - 35" tall but only 26lbs 2 oz! He doesn't look
> underfed, though, just tall and lean.
>
> --
> iphigenia
> www.tristyn.net

Iphigenia, I don't have info on BM & calcium, but I do have some links that
might help you with non-dairy sources of calcium:

http://www.interlog.com/~john13/recipes/calcium.htm

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/columnha/ha0206.html

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/calcium.html

http://www.myhealth24.com/pacificare/atoz/osteo/osmilk.html

http://www.healthplanning.gov.bc.ca/hlthfile/hfile70.html

HTH,
Corinne

Beth Kevles
July 12th 03, 01:42 AM
Hi -

Actually, unless Gabe is still breastfeeding a great deal, then your
doctor is correct to be concerned about calcium intake. THe effects of
insufficient calcium aren't always immediate; they can show up in such
was as weak teeth (which you won't see until the teeth that are growing
now pop through) or weak bones.

I don't recall the amount of calcium that a 2-year old should have, but
you can get that information from your doctor directly.

There are lots of ways to get calcium into a diet, even one that's
completely free of dairy. Soy is popular, as are enriched juices (not
just OJ comes enriched these days), canned sardines or canned salmon
**with the bones mixed in**, or a calcium supplement. (There are
several on the market, both dairy-free and otherwise, that are basically
soft candies with calcium thrown in.)

If you want some other ideas, visit my web site. There's a brief
section on calcium that includes a link to a site with plenty of calcium
information.

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

Brandy Kurtz
July 12th 03, 04:21 AM
"iphigenia" > wrote in message >...
> Gabe had his 2-year WBV today. The ped said that I could switch him to
> low-fat milk now. I told him, well, Gabe doesn't like cow's milk. I was a
> bit surprised that he didn't ask about breastmilk or formula then, but he
> voiced a concern about calcium. In a way I can understand this since Gabe
> doesn't like meat or cheese (though he'll sometimes eat melted cheese mixed
> in with other food) or vegetables (though I do puree them and sneak them
> into sauces).
>
> Anyone have info on breastmilk and calcium? What solid foods are high in
> calcium? The ped's suggestions (fortified OJ and Tums) will not be tolerable
> to DS.
>
> BTW, he is one skinny guy - 35" tall but only 26lbs 2 oz! He doesn't look
> underfed, though, just tall and lean.

I know that there are calcium supplements that taste like chocolate.
You try and see if he would eat those!

Brandy

iphigenia
July 12th 03, 04:36 AM
Corinne wrote:

>> Iphigenia, I don't have info on BM & calcium, but I do have some
>> links that might help you with non-dairy sources of calcium:

Thanks! I'll look around and see if there's anything he might eat on those.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

iphigenia
July 12th 03, 04:43 AM
Brandy Kurtz wrote:
>> I know that there are calcium supplements that taste like chocolate.
>> You try and see if he would eat those!

Beth mentioned those, too. Only problem is that he doesn't like sweet things
generally. I've seen him eat around the chocolate chips in cookies!

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

iphigenia
July 12th 03, 03:34 PM
Clisby Williams wrote:

>> I'm hoping for good effects from the sidewalk chalk. (It's not just
>> a toy! It's a food!)

Huh, there's a thought. After all, he does seem to be perfectly willing to
put any writing implement in his mouth... : )

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

iphigenia
July 12th 03, 03:34 PM
E wrote:

>> no ideas to answer your question, but another way to sneak it in - I
>> add powdered milk to all sorts of stuff -

Good idea - I bet it would mix really well with sauces. Thanks!

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Brandy Kurtz
July 12th 03, 04:09 PM
"iphigenia" > wrote in message >...
> Brandy Kurtz wrote:
> >> I know that there are calcium supplements that taste like chocolate.
> >> You try and see if he would eat those!
> >>

> Beth mentioned those, too. Only problem is that he doesn't like sweet things
> generally. I've seen him eat around the chocolate chips in cookies!

HaHa! I guess that does make it more of a challenge...:)

Brandy

Tracey
July 12th 03, 06:51 PM
iphigenia wrote:

> The tinned fish sounds, well, really gross. : ) But if he'll eat it, it's
> worth a shot. However, he will not eat meat; since I don't eat fish he
> hasn't had much exposure to it, but I don't have high hopes.

The tunafish in the bag tastes way better than the tuna that comes in a can.

Laurie
July 14th 03, 05:55 AM
One other idea I forgot to mention is yogurt raisins.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 12 weeks

*This email address is now valid*

iphigenia wrote in message ...
>Beth Kevles wrote:
>>> Actually, unless Gabe is still breastfeeding a great deal, then your
>>> doctor is correct to be concerned about calcium intake.
>
>That might be why he didn't ask about it; it's not that likely that a 2 yo
>would be nursing enough for that, is it? He does nurse 4-5 times a day.
>(Remember, this is the kid who wouldn't eat anything solid until 14
months!)

>>> There are lots of ways to get calcium into a diet, even one that's
>>> completely free of dairy. Soy is popular, as are enriched juices
>>> (not just OJ comes enriched these days), canned sardines or canned
>>> salmon **with the bones mixed in**, or a calcium supplement. (There
>>> are several on the market, both dairy-free and otherwise, that are
>>> basically soft candies with calcium thrown in.)
>
>The problem with juices of any sort is that he just doesn't like anything
>sweet. He's starting to be more interested in sweet things, though, so
maybe
>I'll hit on one that he likes the taste of. Same issue with fortified
candy.

>Isn't soy pretty allergenic? I have oral allergy syndrome, and have been
>really careful with allergenic foods with him. I will always wonder if his
>reluctance to accept solid food might be an instinctive aversion - I've
>heard that allergy-prone kids often shy away from foods that are likely to
>be triggers.
>
>The tinned fish sounds, well, really gross. : ) But if he'll eat it, it's
>worth a shot. However, he will not eat meat; since I don't eat fish he
>hasn't had much exposure to it, but I don't have high hopes.
>

>>> If you want some other ideas, visit my web site. There's a brief
>>> section on calcium that includes a link to a site with plenty of
>>> calcium information.
>>>

>Thanks, I'll have a look!
>
>--
>iphigenia
>www.tristyn.net

H Schinske
July 14th 03, 06:30 AM
Laurie ) wrote:

>One other idea I forgot to mention is yogurt raisins.

They have almost no actual yogurt, unfortunately, so the calcium and protein
content is minimal. Just a fatty, sugary confectioner's coating :-( And even
plain raisins themselves are not terrifically nutritious. Looking at the
nutritional info, the only thing they seem to be a good source for is
potassium. They do have a bit of calcium and a bit of iron, but not very much
compared to all the sugar, and only a very small amount of fiber, which is hard
for me to believe (I guess grape skins must not be that fibrous).

--Helen

iphigenia
July 14th 03, 05:01 PM
Laurie wrote:

>> I do think getting enough calcium is a concern. Will he eat yogurt
>> or pudding?

Holy hannah. I made him some tapioca this morning. When it was cool, I gave
him a spoonful. He hesitantly tasted it, then licked off the whole spoon and
climbed into his booster seat, indicating that he was ready to eat. I gave
him about a cup and he downed it messily. So, looks like we have a winner!

>> Have you tried giving him Carnation instant breakfast,
>> or some equivalent if you're boycotting nestle? ;)

I gave him some chocolate milk on Sunday (Hershey's - I know they have some
afffiliation with Nestle, a marketing agreement or some such - but there
just aren't that many chocolate powder manufacturers out there!). He quite
liked it!

>> Green leafy veggies also contain calcium, but
>> that's probably a worse idea than milk!

LOL. Yes, if it's green, it's summarily tossed from the plate. Sigh.

>> And phooey on your doc to suggest tums. Calcium supplements, while
>> a little helpful, are not absorbed well AT ALL; only something like
>> 30% of the calcium is actually absorbed. It's MUCH more effective to
>> take calcium in the form of food.

That's what I thought.

>> Gabe doesn't like orange juice? What about grapefruit juice? Do
>> they make that fortified? You could give him a small amount a day
>> just to help.

Problem is that he's so-so on sweet things. Clearly he's getting better at
that - pudding and chocolate milk - but fruit is still not of interest.
Wouldn't hurt to try some OJ, though - maybe I'll take him outside for a bit
so he gets hot and thirsty (it's been over 100 for about a week...) then try
plying him with juice. Isn't ascorbic acid really helpful in promoting
calcium absorption? That would make citrus juice particularly appealing, to
me if not to him.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

toypup
July 16th 03, 07:08 PM
"AnnaS" > wrote in message
> I have a recipe for salmon loaf using canned salmon that was one of my
> favorites as a kid. Whoever got a piece of the bone in their slice was
> considered lucky. (The bones are extremely soft and can be eaten.) I can
post
> the recipe if you are interested. My mom always made it with these yummy
baked
> potato halves.

Sounds good. Can I have the recipe?

Chookie
July 17th 03, 04:25 AM
In article >,
AnnaS > wrote:

> I have a recipe for salmon loaf using canned salmon that was one of my
> favorites as a kid. Whoever got a piece of the bone in their slice was
> considered lucky. (The bones are extremely soft and can be eaten.) I can
> post the recipe if you are interested. My mom always made it with these
> yummy baked potato halves.

Please do!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

July 17th 03, 09:55 PM
ah yes, I remember now :/
just that there are so many different flavors of both, it took my parents
quite a while to find some I liked.
Edith
nak