PDA

View Full Version : Re: regional differences?

Marie
July 13th 03, 01:05 AM
Hi Andrea, where in SC are you? I'm in Anderson (below Greenville).
I have lived here my whole life, and have seen 2-3 NIP mothers. (One was
today actually, at the zoo! I was so excited lol) It's really sad, it is so
rare around here for mothers to breastfeed, or to even try at all for any
length of time. It's just not what you do. I've never really spent time
anywhere else to see how popular breastfeeding is, but I have seen here in
the NG how in some communitites that's the thing most mothers do and you're
the odd one if you do'nt.
Marie

Andrea wrote in message >...
>I recently visited my parents in Northern Virginia and noticed at least 4
women
>NIP while I was there. In sad contrast, I have lived in South Carolina for
12
>years and have seen perhaps 2 women NIP the entire time I've lived here.
It
>must be a regional thing. Has anyone else noticed regional differences in
the
>US as far as BFing is concerned?
>
>Most of the women who live where I live either choose not to BF or only do
so
>for a short time. I received very little support when I was BFing my
twins,
>and it unfortunately had an effect on the length of time I nursed them. My
>goal was to BF for the entire first year, but I only did it for 7 months
and
>I've regretted it ever since.
>
>Andrea
>twin girls-Jordan & Madison
>3 yrs. old

Andrea
July 13th 03, 04:05 AM
>Hi Andrea, where in SC are you?

I'm near Orangeburg. It's good to hear from a fellow South Carolinian. :)

>It's really sad, it is so
>rare around here for mothers to breastfeed, or to even try at all for any
>length of time. It's just not what you do.

You're right, it really is sad. I've noticed that BF is especially looked upon
as being "weird" by my mother and MIL's generation around here. They act like
it's a foreign concept. They were giving their kids cereal around 6 weeks of
age so they think it's not possible for an infant to be satisfied by nursing
alone.

Andrea
twin girls-Madison & Jordan
3 yrs. old

Leslie
July 13th 03, 05:00 AM
>Has anyone else noticed regional differences in the
>US as far as BFing is concerned?

Oh, yes. :-(

I know from reading this group that there are places where nursing is the norm,
and NIP is commonplace.

Here in East Tennessee, however, outside of my AP group, I have probably seen
babies being nursed in public . . . oh, maybe five times? Ever. Even people I
KNOW are nursing bring bottles or hide out in restrooms. I am the ONLY person
in my usual circle who would dream of nursing a toddler in public.

It is very discouraging. And lonely.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91), Jake (1/27/94), Teddy (2/15/95), and William (3/5/01)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/o/onemoremakesfour/

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

DGoree
July 13th 03, 05:16 AM
(Leslie) wrote,

<<Here in East Tennessee, however, outside of my AP group, I have probably seen
babies being nursed in public . . . oh, maybe five times? Ever. Even people I
KNOW are nursing bring bottles or hide out in restrooms. I am the ONLY person
in my usual circle who would dream of nursing a toddler in public.

It is very discouraging. And lonely.>>

I could have written exactly the above, and I am in a city of 1,000,000 people
in Texas.

Mary Ellen
William (8)
Matthew (6)
Margaret (1)

Stephanie and Tim
July 13th 03, 09:19 PM
"Andrea" > wrote in message
> I recently visited my parents in Northern Virginia and noticed at least 4
women
> NIP while I was there. In sad contrast, I have lived in South Carolina
for 12
> years and have seen perhaps 2 women NIP the entire time I've lived here.
It
> must be a regional thing. Has anyone else noticed regional differences in
the
> US as far as BFing is concerned?

YES, and the 'region' does not have to be bordered by great distances. My
town, Burlington VT, is very progressive. You see it a lot. I drive through
northern NH on my way to my family and was stared at HARD in a Friendly's
restaurant. A Friendly's for Pete's sake!!

> Most of the women who live where I live either choose not to BF or only do
so
> for a short time. I received very little support when I was BFing my
twins,
> and it unfortunately had an effect on the length of time I nursed them.
My
> goal was to BF for the entire first year, but I only did it for 7 months
and
> I've regretted it ever since.
>
> Andrea
> twin girls-Jordan & Madison
> 3 yrs. old

The LC at my ped's office made a comment like, wow it is nice to see someone
trying so hard to breastfeed. I did not think I was trying hard. I was just
doing what you all told me to do. ;) I guess a lot of people give up, in any
geography. Imagine how hard it is to not give up when you do not have
support, if so many do it when they do. I guess you do not have to imagine,
you have been there done that.

Karen Askey
July 13th 03, 09:53 PM
I'm in North Alabama in a city where there are lots of transplants from all
over the country due to the main industry in town--space/aeronautics. STill, I
have almost never seen a woman nurse in public. Actually, I can't recall
seeing a woman nip here locally. I saw someone in Bham once. And I saw a lady
in Decatur who appeared to be Hispanic. I think, but I"m not sure, that bf may
be more common among the Hisapnic population, which is growing quickly in these
parts.

I was sure looking forward to nip'ing with #2, but it didn't work out that way.
Now I wish I had not been so shy with #1. With him, I usually went to a
lounge area, a dressing room, or my car. Once I nursed him in the corner of a
department store, but not for long. Now that he's 2 1/2, though, I just don't
think I could nip with him. He's only asked once or twice, but I was able to
put him off with a "when we get home."

koa
Still nursing James, 02/06/01
EP'ing for Joey 04/02/03 (BiCP)

Leslie
July 14th 03, 04:49 AM
Karen said:

>Now that he's 2 1/2, though, I just don't
>think I could nip with him.

Just curious, Karen--is that because you would feel self-conscious, or because
you would be holding Joey, or because you can no longer nurse him discreetly?

He's only asked once or twice, but I was able to
>put him off with a "when we get home."

I wish I could get away with this. William still frequently wants to be nursed
in public, most especially in the front pew at church, when I must comply or
draw way more attention than I want. Other times I can distract him, but
saying "Later" only brings tears.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91), Jake (1/27/94), Teddy (2/15/95), and William (3/5/01)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/o/onemoremakesfour/

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Ruth Shear
July 14th 03, 06:06 AM
G'day

DGoree wrote:

> I could have written exactly the above, and I am in a city of 1,000,000
> people in Texas.

Mary Ellen - where in TX are you again? SpanAnnie and I have vowed to
actually get together some time soon. Come on up and we'll have another
DrRuth patented mkb NIP !

DrRuth

Karen Askey
July 14th 03, 03:59 PM
In article >,
(Leslie) writes:

>Karen said:
>
>>Now that he's 2 1/2, though, I just don't
>>think I could nip with him.
>
>Just curious, Karen--is that because you would feel self-conscious, or
>because
>you would be holding Joey, or because you can no longer nurse him discreetly?

Oh, yeah, 'cause I'm holding Joey is a good excuse! Actually, I just don't
think I would feel comfortable doing it b/c he is so big and b/c I'm sure we'd
get some scornful looks. Especially since he looks more like 3 1/2 and NIP'ing
just isn't done around here, no matter what the age. Normally, I don't care
what folks think or say, but for some reason, when it comes to nursing a 2 1/2
yr old in public, I get a little shy about it.

He bumped his head at the baseball park the other night and was really
hollering. I figured he'd ask to nurse to feel better and I was going to give
in for the sake of my child. However, *I* actually asked, "Do you want to
nurse?" and he said "No." He was up and playing moments later as if nothing
had happened.

> He's only asked once or twice, but I was able to
>>put him off with a "when we get home."
>>
>I wish I could get away with this. William still frequently wants to be
>nursed
>in public, most especially in the front pew at church, when I must comply or
>draw way more attention than I want. Other times I can distract him, but
>saying "Later" only brings tears.

koa
Still nursing James, 02/06/01
EP'ing for Joey 04/02/03 (BCP)

Stephanie and Tim
July 14th 03, 05:30 PM
"Karen Askey" > wrote in message
> I'm in North Alabama in a city where there are lots of transplants from
all
> over the country due to the main industry in town--space/aeronautics.
STill, I
> have almost never seen a woman nurse in public. Actually, I can't recall
> seeing a woman nip here locally. I saw someone in Bham once. And I saw a
lady
> in Decatur who appeared to be Hispanic. I think, but I"m not sure, that
bf may
> be more common among the Hisapnic population, which is growing quickly in
these
> parts.
>
> I was sure looking forward to nip'ing with #2, but it didn't work out that
way.
> Now I wish I had not been so shy with #1. With him, I usually went to a
> lounge area, a dressing room, or my car. Once I nursed him in the corner
of a
> department store, but not for long. Now that he's 2 1/2, though, I just
don't
> think I could nip with him. He's only asked once or twice, but I was able
> put him off with a "when we get home."

I never tried to put DS off, but not out of any lactivist tendencies. I am
too lazy! I would nurse with my butt propped against a planter!

> koa
> Still nursing James, 02/06/01
> EP'ing for Joey 04/02/03 (BiCP)

Stephanie and Tim
July 14th 03, 05:32 PM
"Karen Askey" > wrote in message
> In article >,

> (Leslie) writes:
>
> >Karen said:
> >
> >>Now that he's 2 1/2, though, I just don't
> >>think I could nip with him.
> >
> >Just curious, Karen--is that because you would feel self-conscious, or
> >because
> >you would be holding Joey, or because you can no longer nurse him
discreetly?

> Oh, yeah, 'cause I'm holding Joey is a good excuse! Actually, I just
don't
> think I would feel comfortable doing it b/c he is so big and b/c I'm sure
we'd
> get some scornful looks.

I wish I were with you in these times. I *love* scornful looks. I kept
hoping I would get them. The one and only time I did, DH would not let me
pick a fight. Phooey. I love to fight. :)

> Especially since he looks more like 3 1/2 and NIP'ing
> just isn't done around here, no matter what the age. Normally, I don't
care
> what folks think or say, but for some reason, when it comes to nursing a 2
1/2
> yr old in public, I get a little shy about it.

I can appreciate that. Lots of people who have probreastfeeding attitudes
for small babies get yucked out when it comes to toddlers.

> He bumped his head at the baseball park the other night and was really
> hollering. I figured he'd ask to nurse to feel better and I was going to
give
> in for the sake of my child. However, *I* actually asked, "Do you want to
> nurse?" and he said "No." He was up and playing moments later as if
nothing
> had happened.
> >
> > He's only asked once or twice, but I was able to
> >>put him off with a "when we get home."
> >>
> >I wish I could get away with this. William still frequently wants to be
> >nursed
> >in public, most especially in the front pew at church, when I must comply
or
> >draw way more attention than I want. Other times I can distract him,
but
> >saying "Later" only brings tears.
> >

> koa
> Still nursing James, 02/06/01
> EP'ing for Joey 04/02/03 (BCP)

Larry McMahan
July 14th 03, 08:37 PM
Andrea > writes:
: I recently visited my parents in Northern Virginia and noticed at least 4 women
: NIP while I was there. In sad contrast, I have lived in South Carolina for 12
: years and have seen perhaps 2 women NIP the entire time I've lived here. It
: must be a regional thing. Has anyone else noticed regional differences in the
: US as far as BFing is concerned?

We live in Northern California, and Monika says there are mother's NIPping all
the time, but I never see a damn thing. :-)

Larry

HollyLewis
July 14th 03, 10:12 PM
> Normally, I don't care
>what folks think or say, but for some reason, when it comes to nursing a 2
>1/2
>yr old in public, I get a little shy about it.

I'm not at all shy about it (which is partly personality and partly geography
-- although a NIP toddler is not exactly a *common* sight hereabouts I don't
think it would draw much notice) but I do avoid nursing my 2 1/2 year old in
public as well. My reason is he's too big for me to nurse while carrying on
with whatever I'm doing, so I'd have to find a reasonably comfortable place to
sit down and stay put for a bit, and that is just inconvenient if we're
shopping or running errands.

The last time I actually nursed him in front of anyone was at a party, so not
exactly "in public". He slipped and bumped his mouth on the corner of a coffee
table, putting a minor gash in his gum. It was late at night so he was tired
anyway and I'm sure it was very painful. That was when I learned that I *can*
nurse him without *too* much trouble in a non-nursing bra!

But usually it's not necessary.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2 yrs

KC
July 15th 03, 12:14 AM
I've always lived in Nor Cal too, and I have only ever seen a few.

KC

Larry McMahan > wrote in message >...
> Andrea > writes:
> : I recently visited my parents in Northern Virginia and noticed at least 4 women
> : NIP while I was there. In sad contrast, I have lived in South Carolina for 12
> : years and have seen perhaps 2 women NIP the entire time I've lived here. It
> : must be a regional thing. Has anyone else noticed regional differences in the
> : US as far as BFing is concerned?
>
> We live in Northern California, and Monika says there are mother's NIPping all
> the time, but I never see a damn thing. :-)
>
> Larry

Leslie
July 15th 03, 04:25 AM
>Normally, I don't care
>what folks think or say, but for some reason, when it comes to nursing a 2
>1/2
>yr old in public, I get a little shy about it.

I understand. I feel exactly the same way, and get irritated at myself about
it, because I know I'm not doing anything wrong. It is no virtue of mine that
I nurse William in public; he would throw a fit if I refused.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91), Jake (1/27/94), Teddy (2/15/95), and William (3/5/01)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/o/onemoremakesfour/

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Leslie
July 15th 03, 04:26 AM
>That was when I learned that I *can*
>nurse him without *too* much trouble in a non-nursing bra!

I gave up nursing bras long ago. I have managed to find regular ones that are
somewhat stretchy. Now I just wish I could wear non-nursing-accessible
clothes. :-(