PDA

View Full Version : question about starting solids

DavesFatChick
July 13th 03, 05:03 PM
My tiny baby is a big boy now - and way too soon for my taste. He got to have
some cereal the other day and took to it right away and with no complaints.
He's had cereal and squash so far and seems to look forward to it so no turning
back now.

So here's the question, how often should I be feeding him big boy foods? He's
5 1/2 months. I know 6 months is the optimal but he's eating solids now. If
it's just once a day, when do I increase his intake?

BTW, I have pictures:
http://members.aol.com/davesfatchick/images/bigboy1.jpg

http://members.aol.com/davesfatchick/images/bigboy2.jpg

http://members.aol.com/davesfatchick/images/bigboy3.jpg

http://members.aol.com/davesfatchick/images/7103.jpg

TIA,

Emma

**********************************

Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.

Semper Gumby! - Always Flexible!

Rob and Laura
July 13th 03, 05:41 PM
What do you mean by big boy foods? Like baby food veggies and fruit? If so I
am not too sure, I would love to know. I have started Izabella who is 5
months old, on cereal, and she seems to love it. So far we have only done
rice, and she gets 2 tablespoons of that a day, morning and than supper
hour. How does your little one like squash? I wanted to start her on foods
like that but her pedi told me to wait till her 6 month apt, and we would
discuss foods.
BTW Love the pictures.

--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella Gertrude **Feb 10th, 2003**

"DavesFatChick" > wrote in message
> My tiny baby is a big boy now - and way too soon for my taste. He got to
have
> some cereal the other day and took to it right away and with no
complaints.
> He's had cereal and squash so far and seems to look forward to it so no
turning
> back now.
>
> So here's the question, how often should I be feeding him big boy foods?
He's
> 5 1/2 months. I know 6 months is the optimal but he's eating solids now.
If
> it's just once a day, when do I increase his intake?
>
> BTW, I have pictures:
> http://members.aol.com/davesfatchick/images/bigboy1.jpg
>
> http://members.aol.com/davesfatchick/images/bigboy2.jpg
>
> http://members.aol.com/davesfatchick/images/bigboy3.jpg
>
> http://members.aol.com/davesfatchick/images/7103.jpg
>
> TIA,
>
> Emma
>
> **********************************
>
> Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.
>
> Semper Gumby! - Always Flexible!

Plissken
July 13th 03, 06:05 PM
"DavesFatChick" > wrote in message
> My tiny baby is a big boy now - and way too soon for my taste. He got to
have
> some cereal the other day and took to it right away and with no
complaints.
> He's had cereal and squash so far and seems to look forward to it so no
turning
> back now.
>
> So here's the question, how often should I be feeding him big boy foods?
He's
> 5 1/2 months. I know 6 months is the optimal but he's eating solids now.
If
> it's just once a day, when do I increase his intake?

I don't have any personal experience with solid as my DD is too young for
them. I do however refer to this site a lot and thought it might be of help
to you:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032000.asp

BTW your son is gorgeous!

Nadene

K.B.
July 13th 03, 06:21 PM
What a gorgeous baby. I started feeding all 3 of my boys around 2 to 3
months . I know it's early but I never had any problems. I just gave a
little of rice cereal at dinner. I just make it real smooth and gave a few
bites. They do take it. My son now who is going on 3 months takes a little
cereal for dinner. and he seems to enjoy it. When they are old enough for
fruits and veggies I would start morning, after his milk, and dinner with
the rest of the family. Or you can start lunch and dinner.Then I would
include another meal when they are used to that. Sometimes I would give the
cereal with fruit for dinner to hopefully help them sleep. I've talked to
other Moms who do the same thing. I've talked to the nurse at the Dr.'s
office and she said she fed her boys early too. Sometimes they just aren't
satisfied with just milk.
Kris
"DavesFatChick" > wrote in message
> My tiny baby is a big boy now - and way too soon for my taste. He got to
have
> some cereal the other day and took to it right away and with no
complaints.
> He's had cereal and squash so far and seems to look forward to it so no
turning
> back now.
>
> So here's the question, how often should I be feeding him big boy foods?
He's
> 5 1/2 months. I know 6 months is the optimal but he's eating solids now.
If
> it's just once a day, when do I increase his intake?
>
> BTW, I have pictures:
> http://members.aol.com/davesfatchick/images/bigboy1.jpg
>
> http://members.aol.com/davesfatchick/images/bigboy2.jpg
>
> http://members.aol.com/davesfatchick/images/bigboy3.jpg
>
> http://members.aol.com/davesfatchick/images/7103.jpg
>
> TIA,
>
> Emma
>
> **********************************
>
> Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.
>
> Semper Gumby! - Always Flexible!

Chookie
July 14th 03, 02:15 PM
In article >,
(DavesFatChick) wrote:

> So here's the question, how often should I be feeding him big boy foods?
> He's 5 1/2 months. I know 6 months is the optimal but he's eating solids
> now. If it's just once a day, when do I increase his intake?

First rule: make sure the amount of bfing remains constant -- the solids
should be in addition to, not a replacement of, breast milk. For this reason
many people suggest offering solids after the baby has had a breastfeed. I
didn't do this -- I found it more convenient to offer solids just after our
dinner. So your first guideline, however much you end up feeding him, is to
make sure not to displace the breast milk.

Secondly, the ultimate aim is to have your child eating a wide variety of
foods, able to use utensils properly, and able to comport himself nicely at
the table. This means a couple of things:

- don't focus on "how many jars" he is eating. Focus on whether he is *moving
forward* towards finger foods, then using a spoon, cup, fork, serviette, etc.
- make sure he sees you eating with adults, so he absorbs how meals are
conducted (table manners, different foods, social behaviour)
- don't hold him back if he wants to try picking food up, using a spoon, etc.
Of course you will probably have to show him how to do it, but if he wants to
try something, encourage him.

Thirdly, how much mess is it generating? I have seen people lay plastic down
around high chairs to keep the mess level down. If a child is that messy, it
might be better to limit the amount of mush they have access to!

Fourthly, don't expect your child to be like anyone else's. My son was eating
finger food at 7 1/2 months. Other people here have found that their children
can't cope with anything beyond purees until 12mo.

Lastly -- don't be put off by a bit of gagging; all babies do that when they
meet firmer foods. On the other hand, NEVER let a baby eat alone.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

Al Bell
July 18th 03, 02:50 AM
(DavesFatChick) writes:

>So here's the question, how often should I be feeding him big boy foods?

If you're breastfeeding a lot and your son is growing normally, I don't
think you have to worry at all about how much big boy food you feed him.
You're really just feeding him solids to teach him how to have fun eating
solids.

So:

At this stage - you feed him roughly once a day, or more often if you and
he have fun with with solids.

Feed him more solids - when your tells you too, or your son seems to be
hungry and really enjoy eating the solids.