PDA

View Full Version : Help for a friend needed re: nursing strike - ASAP!

Sarajoyo
July 14th 03, 07:02 PM
Hi All,

I haven't been around much lately, as our summer is very busy (but
fun), but I need some help asap! I'm posting this for a friend, who
is requesting help for a friend of hers. Here's a copy of her
message, with personal details omitted:

"Anyway, my friend has a huge problem in that Child (21 months)
suddenly decided to stop nursing on Friday night ... She went from at
least 10 bfs a day to zero, pushing the breast away and saying "yuck".
During the day she seems happy enough, but she can't
fall asleep w/o nursing and cries for 3+ hours every night now, but
totally refuses to nurse. My friend is pretty desperate - on the one
hand
crushed at the sudden end of their nursing relationship (and having
quite
a bit of painful engorgement), on the other hand concerned because
Child
doesn't really seem done with bf'ing. And it's weird that she went
from
avid nursing to zero just like that.

The general tone of people seems to be
that it's completely normal and there's nothing you can do. She saw
the
ped this morning who said the same thing, and there's nothing
physically wrong with Child (no injuries in her
mouth or anything)."

Back to Sara writing now - I am assuming it's a nursing strike, but I
don't know for sure, having not experienced that. I suggested that
mom could pump/hand express to relieve engorgement and keep her supply
going in hopes that the strike will end in a couple of days. I also
suggested offering to nurse when the child is really calm, like
partially asleep or something. But I don't have any other ideas -
anyone here who can offer suggestions? Either post here, and I'll try
to check back later, but since I read through Google, it might be a
while before I see your replies (and I won't see anyone who
no-archives their posts), or you can email me directly at sarajoyo at
earthlink dot net, which I check often.

Thanks! Here's hoping we can help another mama and her nursling get
their relationship back on track soon!

-Sara:)

Tatjana Farkin
July 14th 03, 07:07 PM
Thanks so much, Sara, so we posted around the same time :-) I really
didn't know when I'd leave my friend's home, but I got home earlier than
expected.

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2 years

Tatjana Farkin
July 14th 03, 09:14 PM
"Denise" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Is she pregnant?

Nope :-) And no sudden onset of AF either. Her period returned a few
months ago, but isn't regular at all, and the last one was 2-3 weeks
ago.

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2 years

Sarajoyo
July 14th 03, 11:09 PM
"Tatjana Farkin" > wrote in message >...
> Thanks so much, Sara, so we posted around the same time :-) I really
> didn't know when I'd leave my friend's home, but I got home earlier than
> expected.

You're quite welcome. :) I'm sorry I didn't get to post earlier; I
didn't check my mail until about 8:30 am my time.

I hope all gets better for them soon!

-Sara:)