PDA

View Full Version : OT sewing genius

Karen Askey
July 14th 03, 11:35 PM
I have just completed the most gorgeous sling for a friend to give as a baby
shower present and I have to brag! I used beige linen for the outside and
lined it with toile. The toile is mostly beige and brown with some blue and
green and dark peach in it. man, is it gorgeous. I had some vintage ribbon my
mom gave me and I trimmed out the sling up around the rings. My needle kept
breaking on my sewing machine trying to sew through all the layers and I needed
to cover up the stitches It is GORGEOUS! Oh, and I had some material left
over to make what i call a "paci pocket" where you can put a pacifier, maybe an
I.D. or credit card, and a few bucks or a small change purse. I noticed Maya
slings have a little pocket on them and so I took a cue from that.

I am also making a changing pad to match using a hand towel and more toile. It
has a couple pockets for diapers and wipes so that you can carry it all
together and will always ahve a clean place to change baby! I'm so proud of
this project! I've been making the changing pads for a few months now and like
to do them, but this particular fabric combo is really classic looking (If you
like that sort of thing).

koa
Still nursing James, 02/06/01
EP'ing for Joey 04/02/03 (BCP)

Sarajoyo
July 15th 03, 02:27 AM
(Karen Askey) wrote in message >...
> I have just completed the most gorgeous sling for a friend to give as a baby
> shower present and I have to brag! I used beige linen for the outside and
> lined it with toile. The toile is mostly beige and brown with some blue and
> green and dark peach in it. man, is it gorgeous. I had some vintage ribbon my
> mom gave me and I trimmed out the sling up around the rings. My needle kept
> breaking on my sewing machine trying to sew through all the layers and I needed
> to cover up the stitches It is GORGEOUS! Oh, and I had some material left
> over to make what i call a "paci pocket" where you can put a pacifier, maybe an
> I.D. or credit card, and a few bucks or a small change purse. I noticed Maya
> slings have a little pocket on them and so I took a cue from that.
>
> I am also making a changing pad to match using a hand towel and more toile. It
> has a couple pockets for diapers and wipes so that you can carry it all
> together and will always ahve a clean place to change baby! I'm so proud of
> this project! I've been making the changing pads for a few months now and like
> to do them, but this particular fabric combo is really classic looking (If you
> like that sort of thing).

That sounds beautiful! I'd love to see pictures if you can.
(Sarajoyo at earthlink dot net).

-Sara:)

Cathy
July 15th 03, 05:03 AM
Karen Askey > wrote in message
> I have just completed the most gorgeous sling for a friend to give as a
baby
> shower present and I have to brag! I used beige linen for the outside and
> lined it with toile. The toile is mostly beige and brown with some blue
and
> green and dark peach in it. man, is it gorgeous. I had some vintage
ribbon my
> mom gave me and I trimmed out the sling up around the rings. My needle
kept
> breaking on my sewing machine trying to sew through all the layers and I
needed
> to cover up the stitches It is GORGEOUS! Oh, and I had some material
left
> over to make what i call a "paci pocket" where you can put a pacifier,
maybe an
> I.D. or credit card, and a few bucks or a small change purse. I noticed
Maya
> slings have a little pocket on them and so I took a cue from that.
>
> I am also making a changing pad to match using a hand towel and more
toile. It
> has a couple pockets for diapers and wipes so that you can carry it all
> together and will always ahve a clean place to change baby! I'm so proud
of
> this project! I've been making the changing pads for a few months now and
like
> to do them, but this particular fabric combo is really classic looking (If
you
> like that sort of thing).
>

> koa
> Still nursing James, 02/06/01
> EP'ing for Joey 04/02/03 (BCP)

Wow, that sounds fantastic! I am just about to attempt my first sling - very
basic compared to yours, as it will be in a plain chambray. Amybe if it
works I can attempt something more adventurous next time!

Cathy