PDA

View Full Version : Re: Ow

Spanannie
July 15th 03, 03:34 PM
With the appropriate latch, your DD should not be biting you...except, I
find that around times when my DS is cutting a tooth, he'll be more prone to
bite when starting or ending a nursing session; it's always temporary,
though.

DS has 10 teeth now, and I have survived a nip here and there. It has all
been worth it to me.

Annie
Zach 6.19.02

"Mogget" > wrote in message
> This must keep coming up here, but DD has cut her first tooth, and OW!
>
> I am very sore. I am also very saddened to think this might be the end
> of our nursing relationship.
>
> I would really like to be able to keep nursing her. Can anybody please
> give me any advice? TIA.
> --
> Mogget

Mogget
July 15th 03, 05:46 PM
In message >, Spanannie
> writes
>With the appropriate latch, your DD should not be biting you...except, I
>find that around times when my DS is cutting a tooth, he'll be more prone to
>bite when starting or ending a nursing session; it's always temporary,
>though.

Ok - so, basically, if I'm sore, then the problem isn't the teeth, it's
the latch?

I was watching what she did this morning. I could *not* get her on
right. While she was nursing, I could actually see her tongue. Next
feed I did much better at getting her on, but I'm still very sore.

Ooooh she has a bad habit though. When she's done, she doesn't just
open her mouth and release the nipple, oh no, she twists her head away
while grabbing the breast with her paw and pushing, to give the nipple
the maximum amount of TWAAANG. Ouch. And then she decides she'll lunge
back on for another suck, clamps on, twists and twangs. For as long as
I'll let her. Ouch.

>DS has 10 teeth now, and I have survived a nip here and there. It has all
>been worth it to me.

That's very encouraging.
--
Mogget

JoelnCaryn
July 15th 03, 06:27 PM
>Ooooh she has a bad habit though. When she's done, she doesn't just
>open her mouth and release the nipple, oh no, she twists her head away
>while grabbing the breast with her paw and pushing, to give the nipple
>the maximum amount of TWAAANG. Ouch. And then she decides she'll lunge
>back on for another suck, clamps on, twists and twangs. For as long as
>I'll let her. Ouch.

Hee hee; mine did that too. If I let him. I'm onto him though, and get ready
to latch him off when he's finishing up. DH said, "Oooh, look. He's figured
out how to strip the hindmilk."

--
Caryn
mama to Oscar, 10/20/02

Larry McMahan
July 15th 03, 07:21 PM
Mogget > writes:

: This must keep coming up here, but DD has cut her first tooth, and OW!

: I am very sore. I am also very saddened to think this might be the end
: of our nursing relationship.

Why. What is happening? Many women successfully nurse babies with teeth
without getting bitten. Explain to us what is happening.

: I would really like to be able to keep nursing her. Can anybody please
: give me any advice? TIA.

Well, I think we need to know what the problem is first. As I said, teething
does not have to signal the end of a nursing relationship, and it is quite
easy to avoid getting bitten if you know what to do. To understand why
you are getting bitten, we need to know when in the nursing session it is
happening. Some additional informaiton, like the age of your baby would also
be helpful.

: --
: Mogget

Post again, hope we can help. I bet we can.

Larry

Jenrose
July 16th 03, 06:44 AM
"Mogget" > wrote in message
> This must keep coming up here, but DD has cut her first tooth, and OW!
>
> I am very sore. I am also very saddened to think this might be the end
> of our nursing relationship.
>
> I would really like to be able to keep nursing her. Can anybody please
> give me any advice? TIA.

When mine bit me, I screamed, dropped her on the bed, and "landed" in
another room, downstairs. Waited a few minutes to go back to her, too. She
only bit me twice. I reacted the same way both times. She never did it
again. She was about 6 months old at the time.

I also waited to nurse her until my boob stopped hurting.

She nursed until she was six *years* old.

Jenrose

Jenrose
July 16th 03, 06:46 AM
"Mogget" > wrote in message
<snip>
> I was watching what she did this morning. I could *not* get her on
> right. While she was nursing, I could actually see her tongue. Next
> feed I did much better at getting her on, but I'm still very sore.
>
> Ooooh she has a bad habit though. When she's done, she doesn't just
> open her mouth and release the nipple, oh no, she twists her head away
> while grabbing the breast with her paw and pushing, to give the nipple
> the maximum amount of TWAAANG. Ouch. And then she decides she'll lunge
> back on for another suck, clamps on, twists and twangs. For as long as
> I'll let her. Ouch.

Do Not Let Her. Once, and she's done. I find that parents who insist on
being treated gently (by simply refusing to continue nursing during that
session once a child has gotten rough) tend to end up nursing much longer
than parents who let bad behavior continue to the point of excessive pain.

The instant she starts "playing", just say, "All done!" and *you* unlatch
her the old fashioned way (finger in corner of mouth, break suction before
pulling away.)

Jenrose