PDA

View Full Version : Problem

Mogget
July 15th 03, 10:56 PM
Nasty gastric bug, scuse brevity, can barely sit up. Pain bad. Safe to
bf? Pump and dump?
--
Mogget

JoFromOz
July 15th 03, 11:18 PM
Keep BF - that way your baby will be less likely to get the bug, and if
he/she does get it, it won't be as bad. You need to keep up fluids and
feeding so your supply doesn't drop from being dehydrated ...

Poor thing :(

Jo

"Mogget" > wrote in message
> Nasty gastric bug, scuse brevity, can barely sit up. Pain bad. Safe to
> bf? Pump and dump?
> --
> Mogget

A&G&K
July 17th 03, 08:28 AM
"Mogget" > wrote in message
> Nasty gastric bug, scuse brevity, can barely sit up. Pain bad. Safe to
> bf? Pump and dump?
> --
> Mogget

I've attached a reply I sent to a similar post a while ago....

Commiserations -I know just how you feel ... unfortunately.

Breastfeed her as much as you are able as your antibodies will help her ....
my DD never got the bug that brought down 6 other people in the house at the
time. Use any "stash" that you have in the fridge / freezer (you've
probably already done that though eh?).

Have you stopped er.. umm... "driving the porcelain bus" yet? A Dr once
told me to have absolutely nil my mouth for at least an hour afterwards to
stop the process and that works for me. After that try sipping ice water
and try to reintroduce some solids after that (I find watermelon or apple
slices tolerable). You need to look after yourself so that your milk comes
back to full volume quickly. It isn't "gone" but you may have a supply dip
due to the fact that you can't keep much fluid down yourself. I remember
being able to express a couple of ounces (about half my normal amount) and
it was all green and watery with no cream at all ....
I spoke to an ABA counsellor when I had it and she advised my to give my DD
(5mo at the time) *formula* if she was still hungry after I had tried to
feed her ... which she only needed one bottle of as I had a couple of
bottles of EBM in the fridge.
When I was feeling less like the wreck of the Hesperus, somebody at this
group advised me to eat some porridge (oatmeal) which helped my supply to
bounce back really quickly. I also find Raspberry Leaf Tea to help supply
..... it works better that fenugreek or blessed thistle for me although those
may also be worth a try. NB - don't take RLT is you are in the first or
second trimester of a pg.

Feel better soon
Amanda

Mogget
July 22nd 03, 10:13 PM
In message >, A&G&K
> writes

>I've attached a reply I sent to a similar post a while ago....
>
>Commiserations -I know just how you feel ... unfortunately.
>
>Breastfeed her as much as you are able as your antibodies will help her ....
>my DD never got the bug that brought down 6 other people in the house at the
>time. Use any "stash" that you have in the fridge / freezer (you've
>probably already done that though eh?).

Thanks for all help received - feeling much better now, thanks. DD
didn't get the bug, and we managed to get through it without resorting
to formula, and I'm pleased about that.

Note to self: Do not in future get any kind of illness with a baby to
look after. It's not big and it's not clever.
--
Mogget