PDA

View Full Version : Question about cows milk (long)

Clisby Williams
July 16th 03, 11:10 AM
Michelle Podnar wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I have a question regarding Cow's Milk and BF. What is the best way to
>combine the two (not together, but in DD's diet). DD was a year on
>Monday,and we were at the dr yesterday (20 lbs 13 oz, 30" length), and he
>was saying that we need to get her on milk. Homo milk is preferred, but 2%
>will do. He said that she needs the extra fat and protein found in cow's
>milk. He assumed that I was going to wean to milk, but then said if I
>wanted to continue to BF, that was also good, but it wouldn't be for
>nutrition anymore, mainly comfort. I think he was trying to be somewhat
>supportive of BF, but he fell somewhat short. He has a little girl 2 weeks
>younger that DD, and she was BF (a lot was pumped though) for the first
>year, but was introduced to solids a 4 months, and probably has a much more
>varied diet than DD.
>
>Currently DD is about 80% exclusively BF (at least I think that). She will
>eat a variety of cereals, variety of crackers, cheese, yogurt (normally
>strawberry or peach), bread/toast, and will also drink water. She isn't
>interested in fruits and vegetables (doesn't like anything that is
>sticky/slimy, which most veg are after being cooked). The dr said that I
>should get her a multivitamin (Poly-Vi-Sol) to make sure she is getting
>enough nutrition while not eating much fruits and veg.
>
>Is it true that DD now needs cow's milk for fat & protein? He said that I
>should aim for 24 oz/day, but I know that that will be very difficult to get
>anywhere near that. If so, how do I direct her to drink cow's milk instead
>of BM. I don't want to wean her, but if she needs such a large amount of
>cow's milk, there won't be much room left in her tummy for BM?
>
>What should I do?
>
>Michelle P

That's different from the advice my pediatrician gave. When my son was
1, she said as long as
I continued to BF him (at 1, he was still nursing 8-10 times a day) he
didn't need any other
liquid besides water, which he really likes She did say that as his
nursing lessened (at 17 months,
he's down to 3-4 nursings a day) I should be sure he's getting food with
calcium. That's no
problem, since he's always liked yogurt and cheese, and is getting to
like broccoli.

Clisby

Michelle Podnar
July 16th 03, 09:03 PM
[...]

Spanannie
July 16th 03, 09:36 PM
My pediatrician gave very different recommendations. He said the need for
cow's milk was only to get them used to the taste and said that if I wanted
to give it to him, he recommended giving a small amount after his meals
(dinner for instance). He said not to give it with dinner, since it would
ruin his appetite for his other food. (All of this was said with the
assumption that I did not care to wean anytime soon)

He says a 1 year old only needs 10-20 oz total of breastmilk/cow's milk per
day (whatever the combination) and thinks that's probably how much he's
getting bf anyway (at least).

My doctor said nothing about a vitamin, but did mention that Zach's skin
color looks like he's getting lots of veggies.

I wouldn't worry about getting a certain amount of milk into her. I'd just
give it for adjusting to the taste, if you would like her to take cow's milk
eventually.

Annie
Zach 6.19.02

"Michelle Podnar" > wrote in message
.. .
> Hello all,
>
> I have a question regarding Cow's Milk and BF. What is the best way to
> combine the two (not together, but in DD's diet). DD was a year on
> Monday,and we were at the dr yesterday (20 lbs 13 oz, 30" length), and he
> was saying that we need to get her on milk. Homo milk is preferred, but
2%
> will do. He said that she needs the extra fat and protein found in cow's
> milk. He assumed that I was going to wean to milk, but then said if I
> wanted to continue to BF, that was also good, but it wouldn't be for
> nutrition anymore, mainly comfort. I think he was trying to be somewhat
> supportive of BF, but he fell somewhat short. He has a little girl 2
weeks
> younger that DD, and she was BF (a lot was pumped though) for the first
> year, but was introduced to solids a 4 months, and probably has a much
more
> varied diet than DD.
>
> Currently DD is about 80% exclusively BF (at least I think that). She
will
> eat a variety of cereals, variety of crackers, cheese, yogurt (normally
> strawberry or peach), bread/toast, and will also drink water. She isn't
> interested in fruits and vegetables (doesn't like anything that is
> sticky/slimy, which most veg are after being cooked). The dr said that I
> should get her a multivitamin (Poly-Vi-Sol) to make sure she is getting
> enough nutrition while not eating much fruits and veg.
>
> Is it true that DD now needs cow's milk for fat & protein? He said that I
> should aim for 24 oz/day, but I know that that will be very difficult to
get
> anywhere near that. If so, how do I direct her to drink cow's milk
instead
> of BM. I don't want to wean her, but if she needs such a large amount of
> cow's milk, there won't be much room left in her tummy for BM?
>
> What should I do?
>
> Michelle P

H Schinske
July 16th 03, 10:06 PM
Mary ) wrote:

>24 oz. of milk a day seems like a whole lot to me! Especially if she's still
>nursing so much.

The public health recommendations I was sent by our state said an average of a
pint of whole cows' milk (16 oz.) per day between one and two years. Presumably
somewhat more at first and somewhat less later. 24 oz. seems like *much* more
than 16, though, to me.

*And* that was the recommendation if you weren't nursing. I specifically
remember they mentioned the possibility one was still breastfeeding! What I
don't remember, alas, is how that changed the cow's milk intake
recommendations. Not that it matters, it's just that it sounded to me a more
sensible protocol than the one Michelle's doctor is going by.

Anyway, toddlers' protein requirements actually go DOWN in the second year, not
up, because they're not growing as fast. Vitamin requirements do go up, though.

I'd focus on figuring out an appropriate amount of protein for a toddler and
shoot for that, in whatever form, not necessarily dairy.

--Helen

Michelle Podnar
July 16th 03, 10:40 PM
Thanks for your reply. I think my dr was saying 24 oz because in his mind,
there is no nutritional reason to bf, it is just for comfort (which I
disagree). I just smiled and nodded, because I didn't know better, and knew
to ask this group.

Michelle p
"Mary W." > wrote in message

> Michelle Podnar wrote:
>
> > Is it true that DD now needs cow's milk for fat & protein? He said that
> > should aim for 24 oz/day, but I know that that will be very difficult to
get
> > anywhere near that. If so, how do I direct her to drink cow's milk
instead
> > of BM. I don't want to wean her, but if she needs such a large amount
of
> > cow's milk, there won't be much room left in her tummy for BM?
>
> FWIW, my DD was only nursing 3 or 4 times a day at 1 year (of her own
> choice). We introduced cow's milke since she was taking minimal EBM while
> I was at work and I wanted to stop pumping. We introduced cow's milk and
> she took to it very slowly. She now likes it (at 25 months) but probably
only
> drinks 8 ounces a day. Our ped thought that was fine. Our ped also never
> suggested an amount of cows milk at 1 year, just suggested she get some,
> and made sure she was getting other dairy for the calcium. She frequently
> eats yogurt and sometimes cheese.
>
> 24 oz. of milk a day seems like a whole lot to me! Especially if she's
still
> nursing so much.
>
> Mary

Michelle Podnar
July 16th 03, 10:57 PM
Thanks for your reply, see below...
"HollyLewis" > wrote in message
> > He said that she needs the extra fat and protein found in cow's
> >milk. He assumed that I was going to wean to milk, but then said if I
> >wanted to continue to BF, that was also good, but it wouldn't be for
> >nutrition anymore, mainly comfort.
>
> Utter nonsense, especially if she is still getting a majority of her
calories
> from bf and she is growing and gaining weight normally. There is
absolutely no
> point in replacing the breastmilk in her diet with cows' milk, because
> breastmilk is a superior source of the nutrition she needs.

Thanks, I thought that, but I always doubt myself a little when a dr tells
me something. I have to have more faith in my knowledge.

> As you surmised, your doctor's advice was predicated on the idea that you
would
> not be breastfeeding her any more -- but that her largest source of
calories
> and nutrition would still be liquid, rather than from a varied diet of
solid
> foods. Because those assumptions are wrong, his advice was poor.
>
> My doctor, incidentally, suggested that we use 2% milk if and when we gave
DS
> cows' milk, in light of the fact that he was (is) still nursing and that
he
> liked and ate quite a bit of cheese. IOW, he was (is) obviously getting
plenty
> of fat (as well as protein and calcium) from sources other than cows'
milk, so
> a lower fat milk was a better choice.

DD does also eat cheese, and yogurt, so she is already getting some fat,
calcium etc. from cows.
My DD just turned 1 on Monday, and weighs 20 lbs 13 oz, and is 30" tall.
She looks very healthy and doesn't seems skinny at all. Should I still try
to go to Homo, or try 2%. My dr said that because she is BF, she may not
like Homo because it is thick, and I might only be able to give her 2%.

> Your ped is probably right about the multivitamin, though, since your
daughter
> isn't really eating fruit or vegetables. Have you tried offering your
daughter
> raw veggies? Or frozen ones? (Does she have molars yet?) My DS loves to
> munch on raw cucumber and (thinly cut) carrots, crisp apples and pears,
berries
> of all kinds, frozen peas, and even frozen broccoli. None of those things
are
> slimy, although I guess some of it would qualify as sticky. ;-) What
about
> mixing mashed, pureed or finely chopped fruit or veggies into her cereal
and/or
> yogurt? Also try to choose iron- and vitamin-fortified cereals.

My DD only has 3 teeth (front two bottom, and one front top tooth), so I am
not sure if she can handle raw or frozen. We have been offering cooked.

We offer her yougurt (with fruit in it, LaCreme) everyday, and also cheese.

She won't take baby cereals, but she eats a large quantity of Cheerios &
Crispix.

> Holly
> Mom to Camden, 2 yrs

Michelle P

Beth Kevles
July 16th 03, 11:06 PM
Hi -

In the first place, you do not wean from breastmilk to cow's milk.
Instead, you wean from breastmilk to a healthy, varied diet of which
cow's milk may be a substantial part, a trival part, or no part.

Your breastmilk contains plenty of calcium and protein. Cow's milk is
not at all necessary for a breastfed baby. However, if you wish for
your child to start drinking cow's milk later you may wish to start
introducing it as one of her non-breastmilk drinks. If you don't, she
may reject the flavor and never go for it. This isn't necessarily a bad
thing, but once she finishes weaning, cow's milk is probably the second
best fluid for kids to drink. (Water is the very best, I think.) And
that, of course, is because it is so rich in calcium and protein. (The
fat stops being important once your child is about two years of age.)

DO be sure that, as your daughter gradually weans from the breast, she
does get a properly varied diet. Whether cow's milk is a substantial
part is up to you. Just be sure that, if it is NOT, once she's weaned
you'll need to weave other sources of calcium and protein in. (The
protein is easy; just eat meat, fish or fowl. The calcium can be more
challenging, but there are plenty of sources if you stay alert. Soy is
one of the major ones.)

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

H Schinske
July 17th 03, 01:23 AM
I just realized that at least one thing is odd in those numbers I posted -- the
cow's milk shows up as *higher* in iron than the breastmilk (0.122 mg per cup
for cow's, 0.074 mg for people's). Weird. I have always heard that cow's milk
has essentially no iron, and that breastmilk has more but not a whole pile of
iron.

I need to look into this, but haven't time right now.

--Helen

Chookie
July 17th 03, 05:11 AM
In article >,
"Michelle Podnar" > wrote:

> He said that I
> should aim for 24 oz/day, but I know that that will be very difficult to get
> anywhere near that.

I agree with what the other posters have said about your ped, but just wanted
to add that this amount need not necessarily all be milk, but could be other
dairy products. A slice of cheese, for example, equates to a particular value
in oz of milk.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

Michelle Podnar
July 17th 03, 01:29 PM
Thanks for your reply. It was very helpful.

Michelle P
"Beth Kevles" > wrote in message

> Hi -
>
> In the first place, you do not wean from breastmilk to cow's milk.
> Instead, you wean from breastmilk to a healthy, varied diet of which
> cow's milk may be a substantial part, a trival part, or no part.
>
> Your breastmilk contains plenty of calcium and protein. Cow's milk is
> not at all necessary for a breastfed baby. However, if you wish for
> your child to start drinking cow's milk later you may wish to start
> introducing it as one of her non-breastmilk drinks. If you don't, she
> may reject the flavor and never go for it. This isn't necessarily a bad
> thing, but once she finishes weaning, cow's milk is probably the second
> best fluid for kids to drink. (Water is the very best, I think.) And
> that, of course, is because it is so rich in calcium and protein. (The
> fat stops being important once your child is about two years of age.)
>
> DO be sure that, as your daughter gradually weans from the breast, she
> does get a properly varied diet. Whether cow's milk is a substantial
> part is up to you. Just be sure that, if it is NOT, once she's weaned
> you'll need to weave other sources of calcium and protein in. (The
> protein is easy; just eat meat, fish or fowl. The calcium can be more
> challenging, but there are plenty of sources if you stay alert. Soy is
> one of the major ones.)
>
> I hope this helps,
> --Beth Kevles
>
> http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html -- a page for the
milk-allergic
> Disclaimer: Nothing in this message should be construed as medical
> advice. Please consult with your own medical practicioner.

Michelle Podnar
July 17th 03, 01:33 PM
Thanks for your reply. It was very straightforward LOL!! I do trust the
people on this NG (about BF), more than my family doctor (he never had any
specific training in Lactation etc), so I will continue to BF, try to get DD
to eat a varied diet, and slowly introduce cow's milk (for taste only now)
as Beth recommended.

Thanks again,

Michelle P
"Larry McMahan" > wrote in message
> Michelle Podnar > writes:
> : Hello all,
>
> : He said that she needs the extra fat and protein found in cow's milk.
>
> This is bull****. The kind of fats found if breastmilk is far superior
> to the fats found in cow's milk. And humans do not have as high a
> protein need as cows.
>
> : He assumed that I was going to wean to milk, but then said if I
> : wanted to continue to BF, that was also good, but it wouldn't be for
> : nutrition anymore, mainly comfort.
>
> This is bull****, too. Extended breastfeeding in the second year has
> shown to be beneficial for several reasons...
> Children who were bf between the first and second year has higher
average
> IQs than those weaned by 12 mos.
> The concentration of immune substances in second year milk is higher
than
> in first year milk, thus continuing to provide illness protection.
>
> : supportive of BF, but he fell somewhat short. He has a little girl 2
weeks
> : younger that DD, and she was BF (a lot was pumped though) for the first
> : year, but was introduced to solids a 4 months, and probably has a much
more
> : varied diet than DD.
>
> Pity for her. He should read the research litgerature rather than relying
> on "common knowledge" in the medical community.
>
> : Is it true that DD now needs cow's milk for fat & protein?
>
> Absolutely not! Breastmilk is superior.
>
> : What should I do?
>
> Find a more knowledgable ped.
>
> : Michelle P
>
> Larry

Michelle Podnar
July 17th 03, 01:34 PM
Thanks for your reply. DD does eat cheeses, and yogurt, so she is already
getting some.

Michelle P
"Chookie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Michelle Podnar" > wrote:
>
> > He said that I
> > should aim for 24 oz/day, but I know that that will be very difficult to
get
> > anywhere near that.
>
> I agree with what the other posters have said about your ped, but just
wanted
> to add that this amount need not necessarily all be milk, but could be
other
> dairy products. A slice of cheese, for example, equates to a particular
value
> in oz of milk.
>
> --
> Chookie -- Sydney, Australia
> (Replace "foulspambegone" with "optushome" to reply)
>
> "...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
> or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

Michelle Podnar
July 17th 03, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the reply.

This is one area that I agree my doctor doesn't have enough knowledge on. I
am sure he didn't receive much specialized training on lactation when he
became a GP. Outside of this topic, I really do like him, and respect his
opinions.

Michelle P
"Marvin L. Zinn" > wrote in message
> Michelle,
>
> I'd say your doctor is ignorant, untrained, or
> dumb. If he's been in the profession more than 10
> years, he needs to go back to school.
>
> marvinlzinn
>
> Marvin L. Zinn
> Reply to:
> Using Virtual Access
> Windows 2000 build 2600

Naomi Pardue
July 17th 03, 02:25 PM
>What should I do?

Get a new pediatriican?

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

Naomi Pardue
July 17th 03, 02:30 PM
>This is one area that I agree my doctor doesn't have enough knowledge on. I
>am sure he didn't receive much specialized training on lactation when he
>became a GP. Outside of this topic, I really do like him, and respect his
>opinions.

If you really do like him and respect him, you might want to let him know that
you are fully aware that he has had little or no training in lactation and
breastfeeding, and you will, therefore, not be taking his advice on
weaning/nutrition for your bf toddler. You might even point him to some good
information sources on lactation so he will be able to give better advice to
other patients. (Think of all the patients who are weaning at one year because
he tells them that bfing is 'just for comfort' by then and so no longer really
important.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

Michelle Podnar
July 17th 03, 04:17 PM
Very good point. I will do so.

Michelle P
"Naomi Pardue" > wrote in message
> >This is one area that I agree my doctor doesn't have enough knowledge n
t++++++

on. I
> >am sure he didn't receive much specialized training on lactation when he
> >became a GP. Outside of this topic, I really do like him, and respect
his
> >opinions.
>
> If you really do like him and respect him, you might want to let him know
that
> you are fully aware that he has had little or no training in lactation and
> breastfeeding, and you will, therefore, not be taking his advice on
> weaning/nutrition for your bf toddler. You might even point him to some
good
> information sources on lactation so he will be able to give better advice
> other patients. (Think of all the patients who are weaning at one year
because
> he tells them that bfing is 'just for comfort' by then and so no longer
really
> important.)
>

> Naomi
> CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator
>
> (either remove spamblock or change address to to
e-mail
> reply.)

Laurie
July 18th 03, 04:36 AM
H Schinske wrote in message
>Michelle ) wrote:
>
>>DD was a year on
>>Monday,and we were at the dr yesterday (20 lbs 13 oz, 30" length), and he
>>was saying that we need to get her on milk. Homo milk is preferred, but
2%
>>will do. He said that she needs the extra fat and protein found in cow's
>>milk.
>
>He's certainly completely wrong about the fat. Breastmilk is HIGHER in fat
(and
>of a much better kind for your child!) than whole cow's milk. Here's the
>complete USDA info on human milk:

From what I understand, and I can't give sources, the fat content of
breastmilk drops off quite a bit after the first year, and cow's milk
(whole) DOES then have a higher fat content. I realize what you quoted says
"mature' human milk, but milk can be mature at a couple of months.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 13 weeks

*This email address is now valid*

> [...]
>Proximates
>Water g 214.696
>Energy kcal 149.916
>Energy kj 627.080
>Protein g 8.028
>Total lipid (fat) g 8.150
>Carbohydrate, by difference g 11.370
>Fiber, total dietary g 0.000
>Ash g 1.757
>Minerals
>Calcium, Ca mg 291.336
>Iron, Fe mg 0.122
>Magnesium, Mg mg 32.794
>Phosphorus, P mg 227.896
>Potassium, K mg 369.660
>Sodium, Na mg 119.560
>Zinc, Zn mg 0.927
>Copper, Cu mg 0.024
>Manganese, Mn mg 0.010
>Selenium, Se mcg 4.880
>Vitamins
>Vitamin C, ascorbic acid mg 2.294
>Thiamin mg 0.093
>Riboflavin mg 0.395
>Niacin mg 0.205
>Pantothenic acid mg 0.766
>Vitamin B-6 mg 0.102
>Folate mcg 12.200
>Vitamin B-12 mcg 0.871
>Vitamin A, IU IU 307.440
>Vitamin A, RE mcg_RE 75.640
>Vitamin D IU 97.600
>Vitamin E mg_ATE 0.244
>Lipids
>Fatty acids, saturated g 5.073
>4:0 g 0.264
>6:0 g 0.156
>8:0 g 0.090
>10:0 g 0.205
>12:0 g 0.229
>14:0 g 0.820
>16:0 g 2.145
>18:0 g 0.988
>Fatty acids, monounsaturated g 2.355
>16:1 g 0.183
>18:1 g 2.050
>20:1 g 0.000
>22:1 g 0.000
>Fatty acids, polyunsaturated g 0.303
>18:2 g 0.183
>18:3 g 0.120
>18:4 g 0.000
>20:4 g 0.000
>20:5 g 0.000
>22:5 g 0.000
>22:6 g 0.000
>Cholesterol mg 33.184
>Phytosterols mg 0.000
>Amino acids
>Tryptophan g 0.112
>Threonine g 0.364
>Isoleucine g 0.486
>Leucine g 0.786
>Lysine g 0.637
>Methionine g 0.203
>Cystine g 0.073
>Phenylalanine g 0.388
>Tyrosine g 0.388
>Valine g 0.537
>Arginine g 0.290
>Histidine g 0.217
>Alanine g 0.276
>Aspartic acid g 0.610
>Glutamic acid g 1.681
>Glycine g 0.171
>Proline g 0.778
>Serine g 0.437
>
>USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 13 (November 1999)

July 18th 03, 04:44 AM
In article >,
(H Schinske) wrote:

> I just realized that at least one thing is odd in those numbers I posted
-- the
> cow's milk shows up as *higher* in iron than the breastmilk (0.122 mg per cup
> for cow's, 0.074 mg for people's). Weird. I have always heard that cow's milk
> has essentially no iron, and that breastmilk has more but not a whole pile of
> iron.
>
> I need to look into this, but haven't time right now.
>
> --Helen

The iron in cows milk is not absorbed very well by humans, whereas the
iron in human milk is (obviously, since it's *made* for humans) all
absorbed.
I'm sure you can look it up somewhere on the net, I haven't the time!

H Schinske
July 18th 03, 07:26 AM
Laurie ) wrote:

>From what I understand, and I can't give sources, the fat content of
>breastmilk drops off quite a bit after the first year, and cow's milk
>(whole) DOES then have a higher fat content.

Interesting. I had forgotten this if I knew it, but Dr. Sears says it starts in
the second half of the first year. I just found another page that says the
baby's metabolism digests fats better after four or five months, and if you put
those two things together, it suggests to me that the baby might actually be
*metabolizing* about the same amount of fat per ounce of breastmilk over the
course of growing up. The extra fat early on would be there for the same reason
that formula has way more iron -- because less is absorbed. But that connection
is my personal theory, not what Dr. Sears says.

--Helen