PDA

View Full Version : Re: favorite galactagogues

Elana
July 17th 03, 07:21 AM
ted > wrote:

> So my question for the day is: What are the galactagogues you swear
> by?

Lots and lots of water :-).

Some people have had great results from doperidamone (I know that's
spelled wrong...)

A&G&K
July 17th 03, 08:12 AM
"ted" > wrote in message
m...
> Alternating between frustration and motivation, I'm trying my best to
> focus on what's good for the baby. So since we're already four and
> half months along into bfing, I adjusted my goal to 6 months. Now, I
> need help with my supply because I have only 1 day's worth of
> inventory and I can't miss any pumping sessions at all.
>
> I eat oatmeal for breakfast, I mean real quaker rolled oats boiled in
> milk, brownsugar, some kind of fruit, raisins and a pinch of salt. I
> take ground fenugreek a teaspoonful three times a day. I'm not yet
> smelling like maple syrup so I have to remember to increase the dose.
> Next time I go to Sam's I'll pick up a bottle of brewer's yeast.
>
> So my question for the day is: What are the galactagogues you swear
> by?
>
> Thanks.

1. Lots of water
2. Raspberry Leaf Tea ( as tea or capsules).
3. Porridge

.... For me, RLT works better than fenugreek. Another note is that my
naturopath advises against fenugreek for asthmatics.

Cheers
Amanda

kgkast
July 17th 03, 01:44 PM

> I eat oatmeal for breakfast, I mean real quaker rolled oats boiled in
> milk, brownsugar, some kind of fruit, raisins and a pinch of salt. I
> take ground fenugreek a teaspoonful three times a day. I'm not yet
> smelling like maple syrup so I have to remember to increase the dose.
> Next time I go to Sam's I'll pick up a bottle of brewer's yeast.
>
> So my question for the day is: What are the galactagogues you swear
> by?
>
> Thanks.

5 domperidone 3X daily (10 mg tablets)
4 fenugreek 3X daily (305 mg/capsule)
4 blessed thistle 3X daily (310 mg/capsule)
I've tried marshmallow, but didn't see any increase or anything, though I
think it is supposed to help with let-down.

If I run out of any of these, I pump about 1/2 of what I can normally pump.
I am a WOHM, and I pump during the day. I am rigorous about taking these
because I am BFAR (bf after reduction). Now that Booper is sleeping through
the night, I pump at 10 or 11 pm and get an extra 4 oz to give her at
daycare, so I am now up to almost 100% EBM at daycare (yay me!).

HTH

Patty Reali
July 18th 03, 11:24 PM
"ted" > wrote in message
m...
> Alternating between frustration and motivation, I'm trying my best to
> focus on what's good for the baby. So since we're already four and
> half months along into bfing, I adjusted my goal to 6 months. Now, I
> need help with my supply because I have only 1 day's worth of
> inventory and I can't miss any pumping sessions at all.
>
> I eat oatmeal for breakfast, I mean real quaker rolled oats boiled in
> milk, brownsugar, some kind of fruit, raisins and a pinch of salt. I
> take ground fenugreek a teaspoonful three times a day. I'm not yet
> smelling like maple syrup so I have to remember to increase the dose.
> Next time I go to Sam's I'll pick up a bottle of brewer's yeast.
>
> So my question for the day is: What are the galactagogues you swear
> by?

I know it's only supposed to be a "mild" galactagogue if at all, but fennel
seed tea generally makes me get engorged pretty easily, so I think it's more
than mild for me. You could try it . . .

Patty

KC
July 19th 03, 08:56 AM
Jean,

How much do you take?

KC

"Iuil" > wrote in message >...
> "KC" wrote
> > Jean,
> >
> > Do you have some known endocrine disorder like PCOS. I am just
> > wondering if the Agnus Castus fixes something else in your endocrine
> > system that then makes it work properly to produce more milk.
> >
> > KC
>
> Yes, I have PCOS which is why I'm taking the Agnus Castus in the first place
> :-).
>
> It's also listed in one of bfing books as a galactogogue. I'd forgotten
> about that until I started taking it again a month or so ago.
>
> Jean

A&G&K
July 19th 03, 10:29 AM
"Iuil" > wrote in message

> "ted" wrote
> >
> > So my question for the day is: What are the galactagogues you swear
> > by?
>
> Domperidone, domperidone and more domperidone :-).
>
> Agnus castus also works well for me - I'm currently taking it for other
> reasons but noticed my supply shoot up within a couple of days of starting
> it.
>
> Jean
>

> --
> "And he said:
> Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of
> Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and
> though they are with you, yet they belong not to you." Khalil Gibran
>
> Return address is unread. Replies to <firstnamelastname> @eircom.net.

Please excuse my ignorance ... is domperidone an actual drug or a herb? I
can't seem to find anything on it in my herbal books ... or maybe its also
known by another name??
Thanks
Amanda

Iuil
July 19th 03, 11:07 AM
"A&G&K" wrote

> Please excuse my ignorance ... is domperidone an actual drug or a herb? I
> can't seem to find anything on it in my herbal books ... or maybe its also
> known by another name??

The brand name in Ireland/UK is Motilium. It's not a herb, it's a
pharmaceutical drug, indicated for mild intestinal disorders. However, it
has a side effect of increasing prolactin levels (to the extent that nipple
discharge is listed as a side effect for non-lactating people). There are
no restrictions on taking it while bfing, there isn't even a "Do not take
...." disclaimer on the packet or on the insert.

HTH

Jean (aka Ms Big)

--
"And he said:
Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of
Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and
though they are with you, yet they belong not to you." Khalil Gibran

Return address is unread. Replies to <firstnamelastname> @eircom.net.

Iuil
July 19th 03, 11:08 AM
"KC" wrote
> Jean,
>
> How much do you take?

One a day, with my vitamin, if I remember.

Keep in mind though that a) DD is a year old now and isn't totally reliant
on bfing and b) I'm taking it for my PCOS symptoms, not as a galactogue.

Jean

--
"And he said:
Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of
Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and
though they are with you, yet they belong not to you." Khalil Gibran

Return address is unread. Replies to <firstnamelastname> @eircom.net.

A&G&K
July 20th 03, 01:00 AM
"Iuil" > wrote in message

> "A&G&K" wrote
> > >
> > Please excuse my ignorance ... is domperidone an actual drug or a herb?
> > can't seem to find anything on it in my herbal books ... or maybe its
also
> > known by another name??
>
> The brand name in Ireland/UK is Motilium. It's not a herb, it's a
> pharmaceutical drug, indicated for mild intestinal disorders. However, it
> has a side effect of increasing prolactin levels (to the extent that
nipple
> discharge is listed as a side effect for non-lactating people). There are
> no restrictions on taking it while bfing, there isn't even a "Do not take
> ..." disclaimer on the packet or on the insert.
>
> HTH
>
> Jean (aka Ms Big)
>

> --
> "And he said:
> Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of
> Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and
> though they are with you, yet they belong not to you." Khalil Gibran
>
> Return address is unread. Replies to <firstnamelastname> @eircom.net.

Thanks for the explanation.
Amanda