PDA

View Full Version : Re: BF & Spit Up

Larry McMahan
July 18th 03, 03:46 AM
Sri > writes:
: I'm BFing my daughter who is 6 weeks old and she's also bottle fed EBM. When
: I breastfeed her she usually spits up in smaller amounts and it has curd
: like consistency. but when she's bottle fed there is no spit up most of the
: time. occasionally there is a milk like spit up. has anyone else experienced
: like this before? I couldn't find out why it's happening frequently only
: when BFing and not in bottlefeeding.

Well, I have not heard of this, and it doesn't sound particularly serious to
me, but I wanted to reply so we don't get accused of ignoring posts. :-)

(or is that only on mkp?)
Larry

KC
July 18th 03, 08:21 AM
Perhaps she likes the breast more, so drinks more hence more likely to
spit up with a fuller tummy. Just a guess.

KC

"Sri" > wrote in message >...
> I'm BFing my daughter who is 6 weeks old and she's also bottle fed EBM. When
> I breastfeed her she usually spits up in smaller amounts and it has curd
> like consistency. but when she's bottle fed there is no spit up most of the
> time. occasionally there is a milk like spit up. has anyone else experienced
> like this before? I couldn't find out why it's happening frequently only
> when BFing and not in bottlefeeding.

Astromum
July 18th 03, 03:11 PM
Larry McMahan wrote:
> Sri > writes:
> : I'm BFing my daughter who is 6 weeks old and she's also bottle fed EBM. When
> : I breastfeed her she usually spits up in smaller amounts and it has curd
> : like consistency. but when she's bottle fed there is no spit up most of the
> : time. occasionally there is a milk like spit up. has anyone else experienced
> : like this before? I couldn't find out why it's happening frequently only
> : when BFing and not in bottlefeeding.
>
> Well, I have not heard of this, and it doesn't sound particularly serious to
> me, but I wanted to reply so we don't get accused of ignoring posts. :-)
>
> (or is that only on mkp?)

Oh Larry, you're being a bad boy! ;)

I experienced something similar, and I think it has to do with how
the milk flows. When nursing, DS would really gulp down the milk at
each letdown, which was quite a lot of milk for such a small person
to deal with. He would always spit up a little bit after nursing.
However, a bottle flows much more constantly, allowing him to swallow
better, and he never spitted up after being fed EBM.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

July 18th 03, 03:15 PM
we're having a similar discussion in another group I subscribe to. my dd is
8w3d and has been spitting up for the past 4 days after not spitting up
before. she is 98% nursed, with an occasional bottle of EBM.
others' kids get more bottles and were noticing a difference (possibly) of
using #1 vs. #2 nipples. I'm beginning to wonder if it is just a timing
thing, or just that they are eating/drinking more than they really need. I
think my dd has been "comfort nursing" but has not changed to getting
nothing while she nurses and then gets rid of what she doesn't really need.
I don't mind as much as they do (though it does get annoying being attached
to so much) but some of them are pumping so they can work and are barely
keeping up, so to see all that work end up on the burp cloth...
my dd has both kinds of spitup also, but I haven't noticed any pattern to it
(yet)
Edith
nak
wondering if she is just sucking or eating?

"Sri" > wrote in message
> I'm BFing my daughter who is 6 weeks old and she's also bottle fed EBM.
When
> I breastfeed her she usually spits up in smaller amounts and it has curd
> like consistency. but when she's bottle fed there is no spit up most of
the
> time. occasionally there is a milk like spit up. has anyone else
experienced
> like this before? I couldn't find out why it's happening frequently only
> when BFing and not in bottlefeeding.

Naomi Pardue
July 19th 03, 03:40 PM
>When
>I breastfeed her she usually spits up in smaller amounts and it has curd
>like consistency. but when she's bottle fed there is no spit up most of the
>time. occasionally there is a milk

I'd say that some of the other replies probably have the right idea.
You may be holding her differently for breast and bottle, causing the milk to
settle differently in her stomach.
And the less regular milk flow at the breast is probably causing her to swallow
more air
when she nurses, resulting in more spitting up. Also, if she has a bit of
nipple confusion from the bottle, she could be not latching on well, resulting
in more air swallowing.

Just so you know, this is NOT a problem. Spitting up is very common; almost
all babies do it. You might try burping her more carefully after nursing.
(Maybe burp her between sides, if you switch sides?)

But, as long as she's healthy and happy and gaining weight, spitting up is
nothing to worry about.

Can I ask, BTW, why you are bottle feeding EBM? (Not usually a problem at 6
weeks, but usually not necessary either, unless you need to be away from her.
Are you giving the bottles, or is someone else?)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)