PDA

View Full Version : 5 months bf'ing strike??

Wayne Tarzwell
July 18th 03, 02:15 AM
DD is turning 5 months tomorrow and for the last 2-3 days she has been
nursing very little during the day....she used to nurse every 2 hours and
now it's going for more than 3-4 and she sort of snacks....her wet diapers
have decreased a little (from 3 poopy/wet + 4-5 wet) to (1-2 poopy/wet + 3
wet diapers).
She has also only gained 8 ounces in the last month.
If she keeps on this pace she won't have doubled her birthweight by6
months...is it a strike??
How can I boost my supply? I also noticed that I used to pump an average of
4-5 ounces from each breast and now I could barely pump 2 from both
combined....

Thanks,

FayeC

Rob and Laura
July 18th 03, 02:40 AM
Faye Izabella is doing the same thing. She may have a poppy diaper every
other day if we are lucky, and she may feed 3 times a day and every other
time she just snacks and snacks, which is good. I have tried to pump some
in the last week or so, and I am lucky if I get 1oz, enough I g uess to put
in her cereal.
Izabellas pedi told me that their weight around 5-6 months slows down,
Izabella did not even gain a pound in the last month, only a few ounces or
so, but he said not to worry about that.
I would not say its a strike. I was told to just keep nursing and nursing,
even if she just wants to snack.
Good Luck

--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella Gertrude **Feb 10th, 2003**

"Wayne Tarzwell" > wrote in message
.. .
> DD is turning 5 months tomorrow and for the last 2-3 days she has been
> nursing very little during the day....she used to nurse every 2 hours and
> now it's going for more than 3-4 and she sort of snacks....her wet diapers
> have decreased a little (from 3 poopy/wet + 4-5 wet) to (1-2 poopy/wet + 3
> wet diapers).
> She has also only gained 8 ounces in the last month.
> If she keeps on this pace she won't have doubled her birthweight by6
> months...is it a strike??
> How can I boost my supply? I also noticed that I used to pump an average
of
> 4-5 ounces from each breast and now I could barely pump 2 from both
> combined....
>
> Thanks,
>
> FayeC

Wayne Tarzwell
July 18th 03, 03:07 AM
Jeez...what's up with these girls??
Dee has been extremely active this week....she sat without help for the
first time on Monday and then today she was on her hands and knees and
pushing herself backwards on the mat.....
I thought that would make her more hungry but instead it has caused her to
go longer without nursing......
She is 15 pounds 8 ounces as of yesterday and still has 10 ounces to go to
double her birthweight.....
Funny....she had gained so well from 2 to 4 months.....she actually went
from the 50% to the 75% but now she is going back down to the 50% it
seems.....
I am just afraid my milk will dry up if she keeps on going longer without
nursing and only snacking when she does take the breast....
I started taking fenugreek again and will pump if necessary....my goal is 1
year nursing......I already miss nursing as much as we used to just a month
ago........:((((((((

FayeC

"Rob and Laura" > wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
> Faye Izabella is doing the same thing. She may have a poppy diaper every
> other day if we are lucky, and she may feed 3 times a day and every other
> time she just snacks and snacks, which is good. I have tried to pump some
> in the last week or so, and I am lucky if I get 1oz, enough I g uess to
put
> in her cereal.
> Izabellas pedi told me that their weight around 5-6 months slows down,
> Izabella did not even gain a pound in the last month, only a few ounces or
> so, but he said not to worry about that.
> I would not say its a strike. I was told to just keep nursing and nursing,
> even if she just wants to snack.
> Good Luck
>
> --
> Laura
> Mommy to Izabella Gertrude **Feb 10th, 2003**
> And 2 felines *Ashes(2) & George (4)*
> http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/izabellawelburn/
>
> "Wayne Tarzwell" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > DD is turning 5 months tomorrow and for the last 2-3 days she has been
> > nursing very little during the day....she used to nurse every 2 hours
and
> > now it's going for more than 3-4 and she sort of snacks....her wet
diapers
> > have decreased a little (from 3 poopy/wet + 4-5 wet) to (1-2 poopy/wet +
3
> > wet diapers).
> > She has also only gained 8 ounces in the last month.
> > If she keeps on this pace she won't have doubled her birthweight by6
> > months...is it a strike??
> > How can I boost my supply? I also noticed that I used to pump an average
> of
> > 4-5 ounces from each breast and now I could barely pump 2 from both
> > combined....
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > FayeC

Rob and Laura
July 18th 03, 03:52 AM
Faye I know what you mean. I had thought about taking Fenugreek again and
pumping. But I have already started Izabella on Cereal and I know shes
nursing alot more. I cannot force her to eat. I dont think your milk will
dry up I mean shes nursing as much as she wants to, and if she later wants
to nurse more your body will just produce the milk for her.
Like I said Izabella has slowed down in weight, shes now 21 weeks old and is
just double her birth weight at 14lbs 4 ozs. it does seem around this age
their weight slows down a bit.
Izabella is also sitting byself already and boy shes on the move, I have to
watch her all the time now. Its crazy. Where has the time gone eh Faye?
I really dont have a goal for nursing, I will just nurse her until she wants
to stop, teeth and all. She already has 2 teeth now that has broken through
the gum.
I wish you the best, and hope you can get to pumping some more if you are
taking fenugreek.

--
> [...]

> > .. .
> > > DD is turning 5 months tomorrow and for the last 2-3 days she has been
> > > nursing very little during the day....she used to nurse every 2 hours
> and
> > > now it's going for more than 3-4 and she sort of snacks....her wet
> diapers
> > > have decreased a little (from 3 poopy/wet + 4-5 wet) to (1-2 poopy/wet
+
> 3
> > > wet diapers).
> > > She has also only gained 8 ounces in the last month.
> > > If she keeps on this pace she won't have doubled her birthweight by6
> > > months...is it a strike??
> > > How can I boost my supply? I also noticed that I used to pump an
average
> > of
> > > 4-5 ounces from each breast and now I could barely pump 2 from both

Patty Reali
July 18th 03, 02:55 PM
"Wayne Tarzwell" > wrote in message
.. .
> Jeez...what's up with these girls??
> Dee has been extremely active this week....she sat without help for the
> first time on Monday and then today she was on her hands and knees and
> pushing herself backwards on the mat.....
> I thought that would make her more hungry but instead it has caused her to
> go longer without nursing......
> She is 15 pounds 8 ounces as of yesterday and still has 10 ounces to go to
> double her birthweight.....
> Funny....she had gained so well from 2 to 4 months.....she actually went
> from the 50% to the 75% but now she is going back down to the 50% it
> seems.....
> I am just afraid my milk will dry up if she keeps on going longer without
> nursing and only snacking when she does take the breast....
> I started taking fenugreek again and will pump if necessary....my goal is
1
> year nursing......I already miss nursing as much as we used to just a
month
> ago........:((((((((
>
> FayeC

It's possible that she has temporarily lost a bit of interest in bf simply
due to the fact that she is making some physical developmental gains - some
babies are so excited by this that everything else (including bf) takes a
back seat for a while. As long as you continue to nurse on demand, I don't
think your supply will dry up, and if she wants to nurse more again later,
your supply will go up to meet her demand again.

Good luck!

Patty

CountryJay
July 18th 03, 09:41 PM
Hi there.....HOpfedully someone got back to you, but alot of mothers take
fenugreek, and they also take mothers milk tea. Personally I have used just
oatmeal. Eat anyting oatmeal, cookies, as cereal, or however you like it,
is has helped me before. Also, do you own a pump? I have a hand pump and I
pump regularily thru the day bto keep in the freezer for cereal for my 6 1/2
month old. It could be a nursing strike. These are somne optiomns to boost
your supply or at least keep it up. Keep us posted.

Jay :) Mother of mathieu 6 1/2 months and Davis 4 yrs.