PDA

View Full Version : IUD and supply

Cary Hayes
July 18th 03, 04:49 PM
I am considering getting a Copper IUD and was wondering what other's
experiences with this have been. Is it painful to get implanted? Did it
affect your supply? Are your cycles heavier and more frequent?

I have been reading some about it on the internet and just wanted to hear
from some people who actually use this method.

TIA!
Melanie

Olivia Madison 2/28/03

Belphoebe
July 18th 03, 06:56 PM
"Cary Hayes" > wrote in message
.. .
> I am considering getting a Copper IUD and was wondering what other's
> experiences with this have been. Is it painful to get implanted? Did it
> affect your supply? Are your cycles heavier and more frequent?

I found insertion somewhat painful, but I've had no problems since. No
change in supply. My cycles haven't returned, so I couldn't tell you about
that. :)

Belphoebe

H Schinske
July 18th 03, 07:28 PM
Melanie ) wrote:

>I am considering getting a Copper IUD and was wondering what other's
>experiences with this have been. Is it painful to get implanted? Did it
>affect your supply? Are your cycles heavier and more frequent?

I had no pain at all on insertion. I could just feel it going in, like brushing
a pencil across your lips. My doctor did say that it was unusually easy.

I had cramps similar to the first day of a period for me (not terrible,
ibuprofen did the trick) for a day or two after insertion. The first couple of
periods were very long. My husband quipped, "Ten *days*? That's not a period,
that's a line!" They weren't especially painful though. Since then, all I've
had that's different is a day or so of spotting before the period starts, which
is actually handy as it gives me fair warning before I get it in full force.

No effect on supply, and I can't imagine how it possibly could given that the
copper-T has no hormones. (I think even the hormonal IUDs have quite low doses
compared to any other method, maybe because they're right "on the spot" instead
of needing to be systemic? not sure on this though.)

--Helen

Jolene
July 18th 03, 09:04 PM
"Cary Hayes" > wrote in message
.. .
> I am considering getting a Copper IUD and was wondering what other's
> experiences with this have been. Is it painful to get implanted? Did it
> affect your supply? Are your cycles heavier and more frequent?
>
> I have been reading some about it on the internet and just wanted to hear
> from some people who actually use this method.
>
> TIA!
> Melanie
>
> Olivia Madison 2/28/03

A slight twinge during insertion; no change in supply; no real change in
cycle frequency; but, I never had cramps *until* I got the IUD.

Circe
July 18th 03, 09:08 PM
Cary Hayes wrote:
> I am considering getting a Copper IUD and was wondering what other's
> experiences with this have been. Is it painful to get implanted?
> Did it affect your supply? Are your cycles heavier and more frequent?

I have had my copper-T for a little more than a year. Implantation was not
particularly painful for me--the "sounding" of the uterus to ensure it went
in at the proper angle was a bit crampy and I had just a tiny pinch on
insertion. I remember being amazed when my midwife told me she'd done it, as
I'd expected much worse. No effect whatever on milk supply. And I got my
first cycle back about 3 months ago. I have not noticed any difference in
the frequency, length, or heaviness of my periods (but I have always had
long cycles, and longish/heavyish periods).

All in all, I am very happy with my IUD.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [7/22/97], Aurora [7/19/99], and Vernon's [3/2/02] mom)

"How a seller can improve their home's value" -- newspaper headline

What does it all mean? I have *no* idea. But it's my life and I like it.

iphigenia
July 19th 03, 12:15 AM
Cary Hayes wrote:
>> I am considering getting a Copper IUD and was wondering what other's
>> experiences with this have been. Is it painful to get implanted?
>> Did it affect your supply? Are your cycles heavier and more
>> frequent?

I couldn't be happier with mine. Insertion (it's inserted, not implanted)
was a very short sharp pain, not bad at all. I did not have any cramping or
spotting afterward. Neither the copper-T nor the Mirena IUDs will affect
supply. My menstrual periods have not been heavier nor more painful, though
the IUD can in some cases cause more cramping (which is why the Mirena was
developed, as the progestin in it helps alleviate cramping, and also
minimizes bleeding).

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Jenrose
July 19th 03, 01:19 AM
"Cary Hayes" > wrote in message
.. .
> I am considering getting a Copper IUD and was wondering what other's
> experiences with this have been. Is it painful to get implanted? Did it
> affect your supply? Are your cycles heavier and more frequent?
>
> I have been reading some about it on the internet and just wanted to hear
> from some people who actually use this method.
>
> TIA!
> Melanie
>
> Olivia Madison 2/28/03

I have the Mirena, and having it is MUCH better than not having it.

1. My periods don't hurt
2. I don't have to think about birth control, period.
3. Cramping is non-existant
4. My periods are never heavy enough to require even a pad.
5. Did I mention they don't hurt anymore?

The only downside is that my periods are longer than they used to be, such
as they are. On my heaviest days I *might* get a spot of blood on my
underwear (easily dealt with at night with a bit of peroxide). Maybe. But
they're not heavy enough to interfere with *anything*. I notice light pink
on the TP for about 4-5 days, then darker for a couple days, then light
again for up to a week more. If I didn't look at the TP, I probably wouldn't
even notice I was having a period. My cycles are also longer than they used
to be, 33-35 days vs. 22-27 days. Mostly I stop having any spotting right
around the time I have ovulationy types of signs, but I'm not convinced that
I'm actually ovulating, as it feels different than it used to. Then nothing
for 3 weeks.

I used to need 4 advil every 6 hours for up to 4 days during my period, and
would sometimes flood the ultra pads in a few hours.

Implantation was unusually painful for me, but I have an extraordinarily
sensitive cervix and uterus, and everything that happens around that is more
painful. HOWEVER... it was TOTALLY worth having that few minutes of
excruciating pain followed by a couple days of really painful cramping in
exchange for NOT having to deal with cramps ever again after those initial
days. Oh, I think I thought about taking an advil on my first post-insertion
cycle, but by the time I got home, I'd forgotten.

I'm hoping like crazy that when I get it out next year, we get pregnant
right away. Because I REALLY don't want to ever have another "normal"
period.

Jenrose

Cary Hayes
July 19th 03, 03:48 PM
Thank you all so very much for the input it has been very helpful! I really
appreciate your kindness!

Melanie

Olivia Madison 02/28/03

s.com...