PDA

View Full Version : Questions for you who tandem nurses/nurse during pregnancy.

andrea
July 20th 03, 08:16 AM
Hi,

I had never heard of this until this newsgroup. I live in the UK, and have
never met 1 single person that either tandem nurses or nurses during
pregnancy.
I waned to ask a few thing, as I always waited till breastfeeding had
finished before getting pregnant again, because I always thought it would be
bad for me to be pregnant and nurse.

1. How old was your last baby/child, when you first got pregnant?

2. Did nursing another baby while pregnant not tire you out?

3. When having another baby while already nursing, what happens where the
milk would have come in? Does the milk flow stay the same?

4. I found breastfeeding aided weightloss. Did it for you? and did it slow
your weight gain during pregnancy?

Thanks for your help, I really am new to this subject, even though I have
breastfed 4 kids, now nursing my 5th.
--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 5

DGoree
July 20th 03, 03:58 PM
<<1. How old was your last baby/child, when you first got pregnant?>>

17 months

<<2. Did nursing another baby while pregnant not tire you out?>>

Being pregnant tired me out. The nursing didn't really affect it. Some women
have problems with sore nipples in early pregnancy but fortunately I was spared
that in my second pregnancy.

<<3. When having another baby while already nursing, what happens where the
milk would have come in? Does the milk flow stay the same?>>

My milk pretty much dried up around five months of pregnancy but my oldest
continued to nurse--he was very attached and needed the comfort, I guess.

<<4. I found breastfeeding aided weightloss. Did it for you? and did it slow
your weight gain during pregnancy?>>

Yes to the first, no to the second. I gained 45 pounds in my first and third
pregnancies and 40 in my second (nursing) pregnancy--but that child was born 8
days early while my first was 13 days late and my third was 4 days late. Son
#2 was eight pounds; I don't think he suffered from the nursing.

Mary Ellen
William (8)
Matthew (6)
Margaret (1)

Circe
July 20th 03, 04:31 PM

#1 was 15 months when I became pregnant with #2. He nursed throughout that
pregnancy and then I tandemmed for another 14 months.

#2 was 22 months when I conceived #3. I weaned her when I was about 5 months
along because her latch had gotten lazy and it was driving me mad to nurse
her.

> 2. Did nursing another baby while pregnant not tire you out?

Not particularly. The thing most moms complaining about when NWP (nursing
while pregnant--why not add a new abbreviation to our lexicon?) is nipple
discomfort, but that wasn't much of a problem for me as my nipples never got
significantly more sensitive during pregnancy.

> 3. When having another baby while already nursing, what happens where
> the milk would have come in? Does the milk flow stay the same?

Well, during pregnancy, the milk slowly dries up and goes back to being
colostrum. This is a function of the placenta that can't be overridden. When
the body realizes the placenta is gone after the new baby is born, you go
back from producing colostrum to producing mature milk in exactly the same
way you would have done were you not tandemming. And tandemming usually
results in a fantastic milk supply (and I was never engorged when I
tandemmed--I could always get the toddler to come and nurse when I felt
overly full).

> 4. I found breastfeeding aided weightloss. Did it for you? and did it
> slow your weight gain during pregnancy?

No difference in weight gain during pregnancy for me, but I certainly
dropped the baby weight plus a little extra most easily during the time I
tandemmed.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [7/22/97], Aurora [7/19/99], and Vernon's [3/2/02] mom)

"How a seller can improve their home's value" -- newspaper headline

What does it all mean? I have *no* idea. But it's my life and I like it.

Larry McMahan
July 21st 03, 02:59 AM
andrea > writes:
: Hi,

: I waned to ask a few thing, as I always waited till breastfeeding had
: finished before getting pregnant again, because I always thought it would be
: bad for me to be pregnant and nurse.

Answering for Monika.

: 1. How old was your last baby/child, when you first got pregnant?

13 mos.

: 2. Did nursing another baby while pregnant not tire you out?

? Everything was tiring, but this not more than anything else.

: 3. When having another baby while already nursing, what happens where the
: milk would have come in? Does the milk flow stay the same?

No. Milk mostly dried up and turned to colostrum by 7 months, first baby
got mostly colostrum for a couple months, then milk cam in on 3rd or 4th
day after birth.

: 4. I found breastfeeding aided weightloss. Did it for you? and did it slow
: your weight gain during pregnancy?

Don't really know.

: Thanks for your help, I really am new to this subject, even though I have
: breastfed 4 kids, now nursing my 5th.
: --
: Andrea mom of -
: Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 5
: weeks!
: Married to David since 2000.

Larry

K.B.
July 21st 03, 02:16 PM
I always heard it was dangerous for the fetus if you nurse while pregnant. I
heard you could miscarry.
Kris
"andrea" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I had never heard of this until this newsgroup. I live in the UK, and have
> never met 1 single person that either tandem nurses or nurses during
> pregnancy.
> I waned to ask a few thing, as I always waited till breastfeeding had
> finished before getting pregnant again, because I always thought it would
be
> bad for me to be pregnant and nurse.
>
> 1. How old was your last baby/child, when you first got pregnant?
>
> 2. Did nursing another baby while pregnant not tire you out?
>
> 3. When having another baby while already nursing, what happens where the
> milk would have come in? Does the milk flow stay the same?
>
> 4. I found breastfeeding aided weightloss. Did it for you? and did it slow
> your weight gain during pregnancy?
>
> Thanks for your help, I really am new to this subject, even though I have
> breastfed 4 kids, now nursing my 5th.
> --
> Andrea mom of -
> Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 5
> weeks!
> Married to David since 2000.

Dawn Lawson
July 21st 03, 03:27 PM
K.B. wrote:

> I always heard it was dangerous for the fetus if you nurse while pregnant. I
> heard you could miscarry.
> Kris

Well, barring any conditions that would suggest a risk for early labor, now you
know better!

There's SO many myths around.

Dawn

Naomi Pardue
July 21st 03, 05:02 PM
>I always heard it was dangerous for the fetus if you nurse while pregnant. I
>heard you could miscarry.
>Kris

Very old myth, and one that many doctors still pull out.
They used to beleive (and some still do ...)
that:
1. Mothers can't possibly eat enough to nourish themselves, the fetus and the
nursing baby (of course they can, if they eat well.)
2. Since nursing releases hormones that cause uterine contractions, this can
cause miscarriage. (Nursing DOES release hormones that cause contractions, but
they do not cause miscarriage/premature labor. [If the woman is at term and
ready to go into labor, nipple stimulation may encourage labor to begin, but
that's another issue.]

In most cases, it is entirely safe to nurse while pregnant. (If the woman has a
history of miscarriage or is at risk, she will want to talk with a
doctor/midwife who is knowlegable about her particular situation AND nursing
during pregnancy [NOT one who spouts the 'must wean while pregant' company
line] to help her make the best decision for her case.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

Suellen
July 21st 03, 07:08 PM

#1 was 13 months when I was pregnant with #2
#2 was 17 months when I was pregnant with #3

> 2. Did nursing another baby while pregnant not tire you out?

No, but I do have a great husband who really kicks in to help with
everything when I'm pregnant.

> 3. When having another baby while already nursing, what happens where the
> milk would have come in? Does the milk flow stay the same?

Same as what the others said, around 4-5 months, the supply diminishes then
switches over to colostrum. I had plenty of colostrum.

> 4. I found breastfeeding aided weightloss. Did it for you? and did it slow
> your weight gain during pregnancy?

Well, maybe after #2, but I've been pretty sloppy with my eating habits, and
haven't gone to the gym. I gotta get going on that, as I can't imagine what
it will be like trying to lose weight when I don't have any nurslings, using
up some of my calories.

Suellen, mom to
Gabby 4 1/2
Bobby 2 1/2
Marcus 4 months

Suellen
July 22nd 03, 11:06 PM
"andrea" > wrote in message
> Thanks to all of you who helped me out with my questions. I didn't know
that
> the milk went back to colostrum even though you are feeding another baby
at
> the time.
>
> --
> Andrea mom of -
> Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 6
> weeks weighing 13 lbs!
> Married to David since 2000.

Heck, even the nurses at the 2 different hospitals I delivered at didn't
know this..

Suellen

esthela
July 25th 03, 11:00 PM
andrea wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had never heard of this until this newsgroup. I live in the UK, and have
> never met 1 single person that either tandem nurses or nurses during
> pregnancy.
> I waned to ask a few thing, as I always waited till breastfeeding had
> finished before getting pregnant again, because I always thought it would be
> bad for me to be pregnant and nurse.
>
> 1. How old was your last baby/child, when you first got pregnant?

27 months

> 2. Did nursing another baby while pregnant not tire you out?

I was only as tired as I was during my first pregnancy, so no, nursing
did not make any difference

> 3. When having another baby while already nursing, what happens where the
> milk would have come in? Does the milk flow stay the same?

Your milk production decreses, as it goes back to colostrum. My daughter
nursed less often, but for longer during my second pregnancy.

> 4. I found breastfeeding aided weightloss. Did it for you? and did it slow
> your weight gain during pregnancy?

I think weight loss for me has been just about the same; however, my
appetite is bigger now. In other words, I eat more now while the weight
loss remains at the same pace.

> Thanks for your help, I really am new to this subject, even though I have
> breastfed 4 kids, now nursing my 5th.

Happy breastfeeding days!