PDA

View Full Version : Hales lookup please - bfing and epilepsy

Lucretia
July 22nd 03, 11:28 AM
A friend has just had to go on some anti convulsant drugs. She is bfing
and wants to know the saftey of the drugs. She says the drug is called
Dilantin and the actual substance is phenytoin. We are in Australia so
I hope these names match the USA ones.
Thanks :)

Lucretia

Bruce and Jeanne
July 22nd 03, 03:00 PM
Lucretia wrote:

> A friend has just had to go on some anti convulsant drugs. She is bfing
> and wants to know the saftey of the drugs. She says the drug is called
> Dilantin and the actual substance is phenytoin. We are in Australia so
> I hope these names match the USA ones.
> Thanks :)
>

> Lucretia

I'm taking Dilantin and was told by my neurologist (and confirmed by my
midwife) that it's okay to breastfeed.

Jeanne

iphigenia
July 22nd 03, 03:56 PM
Lucretia wrote:
>> A friend has just had to go on some anti convulsant drugs. She is
>> bfing and wants to know the saftey of the drugs. She says the drug
>> is called Dilantin and the actual substance is phenytoin. We are in
>> Australia so I hope these names match the USA ones.

Oh yes, it's an L2, approved by the AAP for use in breastfeeding mothers.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

K.B.
July 23rd 03, 03:16 AM
What kind of seizures do you have?
I have complex partial. How are your seizures while nursing? I was doing
good until last week. I had 2 seizures in 2 days.
Kris
"Bruce and Jeanne" > wrote in message
> Lucretia wrote:
>
> > A friend has just had to go on some anti convulsant drugs. She is bfing
> > and wants to know the saftey of the drugs. She says the drug is called
> > Dilantin and the actual substance is phenytoin. We are in Australia so
> > I hope these names match the USA ones.
> > Thanks :)
> >

> > Lucretia
> >

> I'm taking Dilantin and was told by my neurologist (and confirmed by my
> midwife) that it's okay to breastfeed.
>
> Jeanne

Bruce and Jeanne
July 23rd 03, 01:42 PM
Okay, you're going to find this appalling, but I don't know what kind of
seizures. My last seizure was in 1980. Theoretically, I can be taken
off Dilantin, but I was told that there would be a 30% chance I would
have another seizure. And every time I try to decrease my dosage to
zero,at some point I feel unsteady, so I always go back to a full
dosage.

So with both children I was taking my full dose of Dilantin before,
during and after the pregnancy. Not the best situation, but they are
both healthy.

Jeanne