PDA

View Full Version : Intro and a question

Kereru
July 22nd 03, 11:37 AM
Hello, I am new here, I've been posting at misc.kids and
misc.kids.pregnancy. I am expecting number two in October. I breastfed my
first baby for two weeks before we introduced formula. I had no confidence
in my supply (In hindsight I think my supply was fine) and was suffering
from PND and anxiety, it was a difficult time and I felt very disapointed
when I gave up breastfeeding completely at ten weeks.

This time around I am much more confident all around and I know much more
about breastfeeding. I intent to breastfeed for as long as possible. My goal
being for the first year.

So to my question. What are peoples experiences of breastfeeding second time
around? I'm especially keen to hear from people who didn't BF or didn't BF
for long, with their first baby. I have already had heaps of positive

Thanks in advance

Judy

Karen
July 22nd 03, 01:21 PM
>Judy wrote:

>So to my question. What are peoples experiences of breastfeeding second time
>around? I'm especially keen to hear from people who didn't BF or didn't BF
>for long, with their first baby. I have already had heaps of positive
>
>Thanks in advance

I only bf'd DD#1 for about 4 weeks and rather unsuccesfully at that, she was
always hungry and crying. I suffered major PPD and anxiety, I was also young
(22) single and uneducated about bf, really no support from anyone.With #2 DD
I took bf classes, read alot of books, consulted a LC at the hospital and, when
I went home I got myself a local LC. It was rough for about the first two
weeks, I rented a hospital grade pump and it went great until she self weaned
at 17months. #3 DD and we are going strong at 4 months. Just be confident in
yourself and get a great support network and you will be fine. Good Luck...
Karen Ann
Mommy to:
Ashley 11-13-90
Meghan 3-10-97
Hayley "Chunky Monkey" 3-27-03

Kereru
July 22nd 03, 09:53 PM
"Sara" > wrote in message
> Kereru wrote:
>
> > Hello, I am new here, I've been posting at misc.kids and
> > misc.kids.pregnancy. I am expecting number two in October. I breastfed
my
> > first baby for two weeks before we introduced formula. I had no
confidence
> > in my supply (In hindsight I think my supply was fine) and was suffering
> > from PND and anxiety, it was a difficult time and I felt very
disapointed
> > when I gave up breastfeeding completely at ten weeks.
>
> Not that you asked, but can I just point out one thing? I had
> postpartum depression, and I'm sure breastfeeding has helped me
> greatly. It helped with bonding, and it was one thing I knew I was
> doing right. So... one more reason to breastfeed!
>
> --
> Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
>
> << I check this e-mail account infrequently >>

Yeah I have been told that but weirdly enough in my case the PND only
started to lift when I stopped breastfeeding. I think it was a combination
of getting more sleep and my hormones returning to normal.

But yes I am well aware it usually the other way around!

Thanks for your input

Judy

Kereru
July 22nd 03, 09:53 PM
"Karen" > wrote in message
> >Judy wrote:
>
> >So to my question. What are peoples experiences of breastfeeding second
time
> >around? I'm especially keen to hear from people who didn't BF or didn't
BF
> >for long, with their first baby. I have already had heaps of positive
> >
> >Thanks in advance
> >
> I only bf'd DD#1 for about 4 weeks and rather unsuccesfully at that, she
was
> always hungry and crying. I suffered major PPD and anxiety, I was also
young
> (22) single and uneducated about bf, really no support from anyone.With
#2 DD
> I took bf classes, read alot of books, consulted a LC at the hospital and,
when
> I went home I got myself a local LC. It was rough for about the first two
> weeks, I rented a hospital grade pump and it went great until she self
weaned
> at 17months. #3 DD and we are going strong at 4 months. Just be confident
in
> yourself and get a great support network and you will be fine. Good
Luck...
> Karen Ann
> Mommy to:
> Ashley 11-13-90
> Meghan 3-10-97
> Hayley "Chunky Monkey" 3-27-03

Thanks :-)

Kereru
July 22nd 03, 09:55 PM
"Irish Marie" > wrote in message

> "Kereru" > wrote in message
> > Hello, I am new here, I've been posting at misc.kids and
> > misc.kids.pregnancy. I am expecting number two in October. I breastfed
my
> > first baby for two weeks before we introduced formula. I had no
confidence
> > in my supply (In hindsight I think my supply was fine) and was suffering
> > from PND and anxiety, it was a difficult time and I felt very
disapointed
> > when I gave up breastfeeding completely at ten weeks.
> >
> > This time around I am much more confident all around and I know much
more
> > about breastfeeding. I intent to breastfeed for as long as possible. My
> goal
> > being for the first year.
> >
> > So to my question. What are peoples experiences of breastfeeding second
> time
> > around? I'm especially keen to hear from people who didn't BF or didn't
BF
> > for long, with their first baby. I have already had heaps of positive
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Judy
> >

> Judy, as of yet i have no advise for you, I am due my 3rd baby shortly but
> this will be just my 2nd attempt at bf. I gave up after 4 days when my DS
> was born, so I am very determined to be more confident in my ability this
> time.
> I just wanted to say welcome, and i will let you know how I get on.
>
> --
> Marie
> Mum to DD5, DS3 and due #3 July '03

Hello, I'd love to hear how you get on :-)

Judy

Wayne Tarzwell
July 23rd 03, 02:58 AM
I didn't bf'd my first. Too many things that combined ended up with me
bottle feeding my son which made me really frustrated.
This time around I promised myself things would be different. The whole
scenario was different and I had a ton of support.
This time even with cracked and bleeding nipples I was able to heal properly
and continue breastfeeding my DD now 5 months :)
I absolutely love our bf'ing relationship. It feels wonderful and although I
go through phases when I sort of doubt my supply at every WBV she is gaining
weight just fine and following her curve so I have stopped worrying much and
have spent as much time as I can nurturing our bf'ing relationship. The goal
is primarily 6 months exclusively and then 1 year.
With your confidence you are in the right path to success!

FayeC

"Kereru" > wrote in message
> Hello, I am new here, I've been posting at misc.kids and
> misc.kids.pregnancy. I am expecting number two in October. I breastfed my
> first baby for two weeks before we introduced formula. I had no confidence
> in my supply (In hindsight I think my supply was fine) and was suffering
> from PND and anxiety, it was a difficult time and I felt very disapointed
> when I gave up breastfeeding completely at ten weeks.
>
> This time around I am much more confident all around and I know much more
> about breastfeeding. I intent to breastfeed for as long as possible. My
goal
> being for the first year.
>
> So to my question. What are peoples experiences of breastfeeding second
time
> around? I'm especially keen to hear from people who didn't BF or didn't BF
> for long, with their first baby. I have already had heaps of positive
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Judy

RuggyKurtz
July 23rd 03, 04:16 AM

>Hello, I am new here, I've been posting at misc.kids and
>misc.kids.pregnancy. I am expecting number two in October. I breastfed my
>first baby for two weeks before we introduced formula. I had no confidence
>in my supply (In hindsight I think my supply was fine) and was suffering
>from PND and anxiety, it was a difficult time and I felt very disapointed
>when I gave up breastfeeding completely at ten weeks.
>
>This time around I am much more confident all around and I know much more
>about breastfeeding. I intent to breastfeed for as long as possible. My goal
>being for the first year.
>
>So to my question. What are peoples experiences of breastfeeding second time
>around? I'm especially keen to hear from people who didn't BF or didn't BF
>for long, with their first baby. I have already had heaps of positive
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Judy

Hello judy! I didn't bf my first 2 children, they were ff fed. Since you
allready furmula fed a baby you know how frustrating and exhausting all the
washing and mixing is, plus lugging everything around with you! Breastfeeding
is just SO much easier! Just tell yourself (and everyone around you) that you
ARE going to breastfed no matter what! You really don't need any fancy pillows,
or bras. Just keep reading this newsgroup and posting any questions, and you
will be great! The kids took great to it, they just needed to watch really
closly for the first few days, because they just couldn't get over the fact
that mommy made milk! My first daughter had a habit of telling everyone, very
proudly, she met that her baby sister ate breasts!

Brandy

Kereru
July 23rd 03, 07:49 AM
"Cathy" > wrote in message

> Kereru > wrote in message
> > Hello, I am new here, I've been posting at misc.kids and
> > misc.kids.pregnancy. I am expecting number two in October. I breastfed
my
> > first baby for two weeks before we introduced formula. I had no
confidence
> > in my supply (In hindsight I think my supply was fine) and was suffering
> > from PND and anxiety, it was a difficult time and I felt very
disapointed
> > when I gave up breastfeeding completely at ten weeks.
> >
> > This time around I am much more confident all around and I know much
more
> > about breastfeeding. I intent to breastfeed for as long as possible. My
> goal
> > being for the first year.
> >
> > So to my question. What are peoples experiences of breastfeeding second
> time
> > around? I'm especially keen to hear from people who didn't BF or didn't
BF
> > for long, with their first baby. I have already had heaps of positive
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Judy
> >

> Well, I knew by your user name that you are another NZer! I have no
> experience with no.2 as I am on a big learning curve with no. 1. Good
luck
> for your pregnancy, and I'm sure lots of other people will answer your
> questions.
>
> Cathy

Yes I am! I saw a post from you I think mentioning kumara so I knew I wasn't
the only one :-) Hello!

Kereru
July 23rd 03, 11:29 AM
"RuggyKurtz" > wrote in message

> >Hello, I am new here, I've been posting at misc.kids and
> >misc.kids.pregnancy. I am expecting number two in October. I breastfed my
> >first baby for two weeks before we introduced formula. I had no
confidence
> >in my supply (In hindsight I think my supply was fine) and was suffering
> >from PND and anxiety, it was a difficult time and I felt very disapointed
> >when I gave up breastfeeding completely at ten weeks.
> >
> >This time around I am much more confident all around and I know much more
> >about breastfeeding. I intent to breastfeed for as long as possible. My
goal
> >being for the first year.
> >
> >So to my question. What are peoples experiences of breastfeeding second
time
> >around? I'm especially keen to hear from people who didn't BF or didn't
BF
> >for long, with their first baby. I have already had heaps of positive
> >
> >Thanks in advance
> >
> >Judy
> >

> Hello judy! I didn't bf my first 2 children, they were ff fed. Since you
> allready furmula fed a baby you know how frustrating and exhausting all
the
> washing and mixing is, plus lugging everything around with you!
Breastfeeding
> is just SO much easier! Just tell yourself (and everyone around you) that
you
> ARE going to breastfed no matter what! You really don't need any fancy
pillows,
> or bras. Just keep reading this newsgroup and posting any questions, and
you
> will be great! The kids took great to it, they just needed to watch really
> closly for the first few days, because they just couldn't get over the
fact
> that mommy made milk! My first daughter had a habit of telling everyone,
very
> proudly, she met that her baby sister ate breasts!
>
> Brandy

Ahh toddlers, my little one tells everyone that I have a baby in my boobies.
Trying to explain breastfeeding seems to have been slightly misconstrued!