PDA

View Full Version : POLL: breastfeeding frequency at 12 months

Clisby Williams
July 22nd 03, 06:09 AM
elizabeth emerald wrote:

>seeing as DS is coming up to this age shortly, i thought i'd ask:
>
>how many times a day was your baby breastfeeding at 12 months?

6-8.

>how many times at night?

1 or 2.

>and how much solids were they eating/how many meals & snacks?

I didn't measure it, but he was eating a good bit of solids by then -
maybe 16 oz. a day? (Most
of it was table food, so it wasn't measured like with the jarred food.)

>anything else you want to say about reaching 12 months?

It's a great age.

Clisby

elizabeth emerald
July 22nd 03, 04:40 PM

--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

Spanannie
July 22nd 03, 05:02 PM
We're at 13 mos, but are still on the same routine as last month:

4

> how many times at night?

0; quit night feeds at 4 1/2 mos

> and how much solids were they eating/how many meals & snacks?

3 square meals, though he eats the most for breakfast and the least for
dinner; he has a snack after his afternoon nap/late afternoon nurse and
usually has a bite of anything that I am having during the day; he also
drinks about 2 sippy cups of water per day (I think because it's very hot
here and he sweats a lot)

Breakfast: Waffles & Berries
Lunch: Some meat, possibly cheese, fruit
Dinner: Some meat, possibly noodles, fruit & maybe a veggie if he's so
inclined

> anything else you want to say about reaching 12 months?

12 mos is a very fun age!

Annie
mom to napping like a little angel Zach, born 6.19.02

iphigenia
July 22nd 03, 05:26 PM
elizabeth emerald wrote:
>> how many times a day was your baby breastfeeding at 12 months?

Hm, probably 8-10

>> how many times at night?

He slept a 5-6 hour stretch then nursed every two hours for about 4-5 hours
before waking up for the day

>> and how much solids were they eating/how many meals & snacks?

Pretty well no solids at all.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Elana
July 22nd 03, 06:43 PM
elizabeth emerald > wrote:

> seeing as DS is coming up to this age shortly, i thought i'd ask:
>
> how many times a day was your baby breastfeeding at 12 months?

8-10

> how many times at night?

2

> and how much solids were they eating/how many meals & snacks?

Zippo.

> anything else you want to say about reaching 12 months?

NICE JOB!!! :-) I'm really happy I got that far, and happier still that
I'm at 19 months now :-).

Larry McMahan
July 22nd 03, 09:13 PM
elizabeth emerald > writes:
: seeing as DS is coming up to this age shortly, i thought i'd ask:

: how many times a day was your baby breastfeeding at 12 months?

Clara: 6 to 8
Niel: 5 to 6

: how many times at night?

Clara: 3 to 5
Niel: 2 to 3

: and how much solids were they eating/how many meals & snacks?

This was all over the map for both of them. From three solid
meals a day to days when they would eat only a little.

: anything else you want to say about reaching 12 months?

It was a hecitc time witht the babies just learning to walk.

: --
: elizabeth (in australia)
: DS - born 20-aug-02

Michelle Podnar
July 22nd 03, 09:24 PM
This sound exactly like DD. She is now just a year (last week), and she
nurses at least 8 x a day, and at night, she will go for a 5-6 hour stretch
(put her down at 9:30, she will wake around 2:30, then sometimes at 4:30,
and again at 6:30 and up for the day around 8:30 or so. She isn't really
interested in solid foods right now (about 90% BF). I keep thinking that
she should be eating more food during the day, and then she would sleep
better at night. but I can't force her to eat.

How old is your child now? Has the schedule changed at all? Are they
eating more solids, are they sleeping better at night?

Michelle P
"iphigenia" > wrote in message
> elizabeth emerald wrote:
> >> how many times a day was your baby breastfeeding at 12 months?
>
> Hm, probably 8-10
>

> >> how many times at night?
>
> He slept a 5-6 hour stretch then nursed every two hours for about 4-5
hours
> before waking up for the day
>

> >> and how much solids were they eating/how many meals & snacks?
>
> Pretty well no solids at all.
>
> --
> iphigenia
> www.tristyn.net

iphigenia
July 22nd 03, 09:49 PM
Michelle Podnar wrote:
>> This sound exactly like DD. She is now just a year (last week), and
>> she nurses at least 8 x a day, and at night, she will go for a 5-6
>> hour stretch (put her down at 9:30, she will wake around 2:30, then
>> sometimes at 4:30, and again at 6:30 and up for the day around 8:30
>> or so.

That sounds a lot like what Gabe's nighttime schedule was at that time. I
figured that if *I* were subsisting entirely on milk, I'd require a lot of
feeding too, so I didn't push the night-waking issue : )

>> How old is your child now? Has the schedule changed at all? Are
>> they eating more solids, are they sleeping better at night?

He turned 2 on the 9th of this month. We've just moved into an apartment and
he has his own room now. He usually goes to bed between nine and ten, then
wakes up around 5:00 and comes into my room and gets in bed with me. He
nurses in the evening, but not to sleep anymore. He eats solid food much
better now - that started at around 15 months and has been improving
steadily since. He's still quite picky though - has only just begun eating
fruits and still won't eat dairy products much (occasionally likes pudding
and will eat melted cheese on other foods). No meat, no veggies. He does
still nurse quite a bit, especially when bored or grumpy.

FWIW, I have oral allergy syndrome. I have to wonder if his reluctance to
eat solid food may have been an instinctive resistance to potential
allergens, since he may have inherited my allergic tendencies. Fortunately,
he does not appear to have any allergies so far except a touch of hay fever
this spring.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Naomi Pardue
July 22nd 03, 11:49 PM
Gosh.. it's been a while, and the baby book doesn't say, but as near as I can
recall...

>how many times a day was your baby breastfeeding at 12 months?

Probably about 4-5 x/day.

>how many times at night?

Sleeping through the night.

>and how much solids were they eating/how many meals & snacks?

3 full meals (table foods) plus a few snacks.

>anything else you want to say about reaching 12 months?
>
>--
>elizabeth (in australia)
>DS - born 20-aug-02

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

RuggyKurtz
July 23rd 03, 03:32 AM

>how many times a day was your baby breastfeeding at 12 months?

6-7

>how many times at night?

sortof aaaaaaall night!

>and how much solids were they eating/how many meals & snacks?

Well it depends on what she sees her siblings eating or dh and I. She usually
eats breakfast(cereal/oatmeal/yogurt/cottage cheese), and supper-dinner
(whatever we are eating, bits and pieces). She usually sleeps through lunch and
doesn't complain about it. Somedays no snacks, somedays 2 snacks, it REALLY
depends on the day she's having...:)

>anything else you want to say about reaching 12 months?

You hear...When are you going to wean that baby allready, she's
sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo spoiled, She has you wrapped around her finger,
and my favorite...Oh course she can eat that..she's one!!

>--
>elizabeth (in australia)
>DS - born 20-aug-02

Brandy and Abby

Laurie
July 23rd 03, 05:05 AM
elizabeth emerald wrote in message ...
>seeing as DS is coming up to this age shortly, i thought i'd ask:
>
>how many times a day was your baby breastfeeding at 12 months?
>
>how many times at night?
>
>and how much solids were they eating/how many meals & snacks?
>
>anything else you want to say about reaching 12 months?
>
>--
>elizabeth (in australia)
>DS - born 20-aug-02

At 12 months Jessica was nursing about 5-6 times a day, but pretty quickly
thereafter dropped to about 4 times. If she did nurse at night at that
point, it was only once.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 14 weeks

*This email address is now valid*

A&G&K
July 23rd 03, 10:32 AM
"elizabeth emerald" > wrote in message
> seeing as DS is coming up to this age shortly, i thought i'd ask:

Since our little angels are roughly the same age, I'll chime in with DD's
usual feeds ...

> how many times a day was your baby breastfeeding at 12 months?
> how many times at night?

Hmmm 4-5am, 7am, 9am, 11 am, 1pm, 4pm, 6 pm, 8:30 pm .... usually but
sometimes she swaps the 4am feed for a 9:30 pm one.... so I guess that's
about 7 during the "day" amd once at "night". Last week at our clinic visit
the LC asked me how often I nursed her and I answered "whenever she wants
it", to which she answered "correct!" :)

> and how much solids were they eating/how many meals & snacks?

She also gets cereal and fruit for brekkie, veges and fruit for lunch and
also some yoghurt, and meat and veges and fruit and yoghurt (2nd half of a
tub) for dinner. Snacks are Mummy's Milk.

> anything else you want to say about reaching 12 months?

Happy Happy Birthday :) ... and congratulatory pat-on-back to you for
nursing him to this milestone :)

Amanda