PDA

View Full Version : breast/bottle/ear infection

ted
July 22nd 03, 05:46 PM
When I visited the ped for my dd's 4th month shots, I asked him if
there's a way at all to prevent ear infections. I know for a fact
bfing reduces the chances for 'any' infection but I wanted to know if
I can do anything else. He said I should plan to stop all bottle
feeding by 9th month and shift to sippy cups. Bottle feeding increases
chances for ear infection it seems. Given the answer, I was wondering
if ebm in a bottle increases the chances for ear infection versus
nursing. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Kereru
July 22nd 03, 10:01 PM
"ted" > wrote in message
om...
> When I visited the ped for my dd's 4th month shots, I asked him if
> there's a way at all to prevent ear infections. I know for a fact
> bfing reduces the chances for 'any' infection but I wanted to know if
> I can do anything else. He said I should plan to stop all bottle
> feeding by 9th month and shift to sippy cups. Bottle feeding increases
> chances for ear infection it seems. Given the answer, I was wondering
> if ebm in a bottle increases the chances for ear infection versus
> nursing. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

I have been told that the problem with bottles is that the baby can be
horizontal while feeding so milk is more likely to flow back into the ear
and cause an infection. So this would apply ot both breast milk and formula.
However I was also told it is easy to avoid by only letting baby use a
bottle when at least slightly upright.

Arghhh look at tht time.. got to go :-)

Chookie
July 23rd 03, 04:19 AM
In article >,
(ted) wrote:

> When I visited the ped for my dd's 4th month shots, I asked him if
> there's a way at all to prevent ear infections.

Just heard on the radio today that a recent study shows that putting children
to sleep on their backs lowers the rate of ear infection (as well as SIDS).

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

Michelle J. Haines
July 23rd 03, 06:26 PM
In article >,
says...
> When I visited the ped for my dd's 4th month shots, I asked him if
> there's a way at all to prevent ear infections. I know for a fact
> bfing reduces the chances for 'any' infection but I wanted to know if
> I can do anything else. He said I should plan to stop all bottle
> feeding by 9th month and shift to sippy cups. Bottle feeding increases
> chances for ear infection it seems. Given the answer, I was wondering
> if ebm in a bottle increases the chances for ear infection versus
> nursing. Any ideas?

Breastmilk has antibiotic properties (as well as antibodies
specifically for pneumococcus, which causes about 30% of ear
infections), so that will help avoid ear infections. The Prevnar
vaccine (for pneumococcus) will reduce the likelihood of ear
infections from those specific strains of the bacteria.

Michelle
Flutist

--
In my heart. By my side.