PDA

View Full Version : Re: pms help

Molly Fisher
July 22nd 03, 08:51 PM
In article >, elizabeth
emerald > wrote:

> is there something (herbal, homeopathic, natural etc) that i can start
> taking to make this pms better and get my hormones in check that is
> compatible with breastfeeding? can you also tell me dosage etc.

How do you feel about talking to your doctor or OB/Gyn about Zoloft or
Paxil? I suggest this because when I took 10mg/day of Prozac for PMS
the year before I became pregnant, it worked really well. It helped me
feel more balanced and I was able to control my emotions and behavior.
I'm not an expert on SRI drugs, but I've read here in mkb that Zoloft
and Paxil are OK for BF.

Here's a CNN article from May 2002 about Zoloft and PMS:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?J50226B55

--
Molly
http://www.fisher-studio.com/

K.B.
July 23rd 03, 02:47 AM
Taking calcium and B complex is supposed to help.
Kris
"elizabeth emerald" > wrote in message
> help! i have been getting extreme pms the last few months. right at the
> moment i am at my worst ever. i can't even look at DH without totally
losing
> it about some little trivial thing & i went off at some poor woman in the
> supermarket the other day for no real reason.
>
> is there something (herbal, homeopathic, natural etc) that i can start
> taking to make this pms better and get my hormones in check that is
> compatible with breastfeeding? can you also tell me dosage etc.
>
> it seems to be getting worse each month. let me know if you have any
> suggestions. if not for my sake - for everyone around me LOL!
>
> strangely (or maybe not) breastfeeding makes me really calm down. i guess
it
> equalises those hormones for a bit. i also never get angry at DS when i
have
> pms. (thank goodness!)
> --
> elizabeth (in australia)
> DS - born 20-aug-02

elizabeth emerald
July 23rd 03, 04:17 AM
"Molly Fisher" > wrote in message
> In article >, elizabeth
> emerald > wrote:
>
> > is there something (herbal, homeopathic, natural etc) that i can start
> > taking to make this pms better and get my hormones in check that is
> > compatible with breastfeeding? can you also tell me dosage etc.
>
> How do you feel about talking to your doctor or OB/Gyn about Zoloft or
> Paxil? I suggest this because when I took 10mg/day of Prozac for PMS
> the year before I became pregnant, it worked really well. It helped me
> feel more balanced and I was able to control my emotions and behavior.
> I'm not an expert on SRI drugs, but I've read here in mkb that Zoloft
> and Paxil are OK for BF.
>
> Here's a CNN article from May 2002 about Zoloft and PMS:
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?J50226B55

i'm probably wrong, but i would say they would just mask the symptoms. i
would really like to take something that is an actual hormonal balancer so i
can correct the problem. i remember taking some remedy from the health food
shop many years ago when i came off the pill as the same thing happened
then.
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

elizabeth emerald
July 23rd 03, 04:19 AM
"Chookie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "elizabeth emerald" > wrote:
>
> > strangely (or maybe not) breastfeeding makes me really calm down. i
guess it
> > equalises those hormones for a bit. i also never get angry at DS when i
have
> > pms. (thank goodness!)
>
> It's those relaxing, mothering hormones that you get from bfing.
>
> Except that last month, I had cramps when DS wanted to bf. The cramps
became
> noticeably worse!!

yes, i can really feel those cramps when DS breastfeeds when i have AF.
AF has made an appearance this morning, so the world is safe again from my
pms for another month........
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

Spanannie
July 23rd 03, 04:56 AM
Anti-depressants actually correct the hormone imbalance, not mask them.

But if you do not want to take a Rx drug, I have found in the past that B
Complex works wonders. You have to be careful not to take too much, though,
since too much can cause neuropathy. I think 50 mg is a good dose, but I
can't remember for sure, so you should look in to that. You can play with
your dose and just lower it if you get the tingling in the extremeties.

My psychiatrist also said:
Prior to menses
Decrease caffiene
Increase water