PDA

View Full Version : Re: AAARGH!!!!!!!!!

Nancy P.
July 23rd 03, 12:32 PM
"Laurie" > wrote in message
t...
> I'm not really looking for advice since I've BTDT before, but I just
needed
> to vent. He took a bottle well at first but he's decided that's a bad
plan
> now. We have until next Tuesday to make him change his mind. <sigh>

I can totally sympathize with you. In our case, it took about 2 weeks (of
me working 2/3 days) before DD would take a bottle well and it was horrible,
to try to adjust to being back at work knowing she was miserable. Hang in
there.

nancy

Shelby
July 23rd 03, 12:52 PM
I am going back to work on Aug 5, so while I can't relate yet I can
sympathize in advance.
One thought: my ds' Dad and I are seperated, and he comes and takes ds
normally about twice a week or so. There was a while that ds wouldn't take
a bottle for him and it was pretty nerve racking. DF (?) got around this by
holding ds sitting on his lap and the bottle right in front of him, both
facing away if that makes any sense.
We tried the sippy cup but ds just got excited and poured all that hard
pumped bm all over his chest ... with a big smile at being such a big boy
lol.
Congrats on the new position!

michelle

"Nancy P." > wrote in message

> "Laurie" > wrote in message
> t...
> > I'm not really looking for advice since I've BTDT before, but I just
> needed
> > to vent. He took a bottle well at first but he's decided that's a bad
> plan
> > now. We have until next Tuesday to make him change his mind. <sigh>
> >

> I can totally sympathize with you. In our case, it took about 2 weeks (of
> me working 2/3 days) before DD would take a bottle well and it was
horrible,
> to try to adjust to being back at work knowing she was miserable. Hang in
> there.
>
> nancy

Larry McMahan
July 23rd 03, 06:50 PM
Laurie,

I assume he is starying with DH, and not a daycare provider. If he absolutely
will not take a bottle, Dh can always feed him with a syringe. With proper
techinque he can't refuse it. :-)

We has a similar situation with both Clara and Niel when they were between
3 and 5 months, and Monika was taking a class at night. I used the syringe
at first with both of them. Niel I eventually got to take the bottle.

Here are some of the techinques I used.

1. Let him play with it. If I didn't insist on holding it all the time
and "shoving it in his mouth" he was much more willing to take it.
If I let him hold it in his hands and just held it up for him, he would
eventually put it in his mouth. I didn't try to direct where it went.

2. Drip a drip or two of milk on his cheek or lips.

3. Start before he gets hungry. Use the bottle as a toy for him to hold
and play with. That way he is used to it as a familiar object.

Hope this helps,
Larry

Laurie > writes:
: I went back to work tonight for the first night. :( I was supposed to work
: from 3-11 pm, but had to come home at 7 pm because Christopher had been
: screaming for almost 2 hours. He now won't take a bottle. I'm so
: frustrated and sad for him! It was so heartbreaking to hear him on the
: phone. He's just not much of a cryer, so that makes it especially hard.
: I'm going to work 2 more 4 hour shifts this week, but next week I have no
: choice; I just took a new supervisor position and they are NOT going to
: tolerate me going home early all the time.

: I'm not really looking for advice since I've BTDT before, but I just needed
: to vent. He took a bottle well at first but he's decided that's a bad plan
: now. We have until next Tuesday to make him change his mind. <sigh>

: laurie
: mommy to Jessica, 27 months
: and Christopher, 14 weeks

: *This email address is now valid*

Laurie
July 23rd 03, 08:24 PM
Larry McMahan wrote in message >...
>Laurie,
>
>I assume he is starying with DH, and not a daycare provider.

Daycare from 2p-5pm, then DH picks him up. He was fine at daycare til about
4:30, but was already crying when DH got there.

If he absolutely
>will not take a bottle, Dh can always feed him with a syringe. With proper
>techinque he can't refuse it. :-)

I was thinking about that, but he was literally screaming, so I'd hate for
him to aspirate. DH did drip some in under his tongue and into the corner
of his cheek, so he did get a little BM that way. But he was still
screaming. :( We'll have to try the cup or syringe if all other methods
fail this week.

>We has a similar situation with both Clara and Niel when they were between
>3 and 5 months, and Monika was taking a class at night. I used the syringe
>at first with both of them. Niel I eventually got to take the bottle.
>
>Here are some of the techinques I used.
>
>1. Let him play with it. If I didn't insist on holding it all the time
>and "shoving it in his mouth" he was much more willing to take it.
>If I let him hold it in his hands and just held it up for him, he would
>eventually put it in his mouth. I didn't try to direct where it went.

That's a good idea, I'll start doing that. Now that you mention it, I did
that with Jess too. I'd forgotten.

>2. Drip a drip or two of milk on his cheek or lips.
>
>3. Start before he gets hungry. Use the bottle as a toy for him to hold
>and play with. That way he is used to it as a familiar object.
>
>Hope this helps,
>Larry

Thanks Larry!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 14 weeks

*This email address is now valid*
>Laurie > writes:
>: I went back to work tonight for the first night. :( I was supposed to
work
>: from 3-11 pm, but had to come home at 7 pm because Christopher had been
>: screaming for almost 2 hours. He now won't take a bottle. I'm so
>: frustrated and sad for him! It was so heartbreaking to hear him on the
>: phone. He's just not much of a cryer, so that makes it especially hard.
>: I'm going to work 2 more 4 hour shifts this week, but next week I have no
>: choice; I just took a new supervisor position and they are NOT going to
>: tolerate me going home early all the time.
>
>: I'm not really looking for advice since I've BTDT before, but I just
needed
>: to vent. He took a bottle well at first but he's decided that's a bad
plan
>: now. We have until next Tuesday to make him change his mind. <sigh>
>
>: laurie
>: mommy to Jessica, 27 months
>: and Christopher, 14 weeks
>
>: *This email address is now valid*

Rosie
July 25th 03, 10:45 AM
It's just a thought, but my DD refused bottles/sippy cups at that age, but
would take anything from a 'proper' mug or pint-glass that I used, or daddy
used. It might be worth a try. Lots gets spilled but...

ROSIE