PDA

View Full Version : baby refusing bottle

betty laurent
July 23rd 03, 01:51 PM
hi

My DS has 5 month old and i am planning to go back to work in about a month.
My plan is to continue BF in the morning and when i come back from work.
During the day i want that my husband give him my BM.( i will pump at work).
However i would like to have a alternative to BM. My DS refuse to take the
bottle if it is not breastmilk in it. Did it happend to any of you? and
what did you do?

thanks

DGoree
July 23rd 03, 04:01 PM
"betty laurent" wrote,

<<However i would like to have a alternative to BM. >>

If you mean formula, why? Do you have trouble pumping enough, or do you just
feel as if it's necessary to have a backup?

If pumping enough isn't a problem, then you don't need to have an alternative
to EBM.

Your baby will be six months when you go back to work--that's old enough that
he can have a little bit of cereal, banana, or maybe some applesauce. Maybe
that will be enough along with your EBM. Solids aren't necessary at six
months, but if a little bit of banana along with pumped milk will get him
through the day, then I would rather do that than have him going hungry because
there wasn't enough EBM on hand.

(I think you have a very smart baby to refuse bottles with something other than
breastmilk in them!)

Mary Ellen
William (8)
Matthew (6)
Margaret (1)

Larry McMahan
July 23rd 03, 06:52 PM
betty laurent > writes:
: hi

: My DS has 5 month old and i am planning to go back to work in about a month.
: My plan is to continue BF in the morning and when i come back from work.
: During the day i want that my husband give him my BM.( i will pump at work).
: However i would like to have a alternative to BM. My DS refuse to take the
: bottle if it is not breastmilk in it. Did it happend to any of you? and
: what did you do?

: thanks

If you plan to pump, why do you want to feed anything other than breastmilk?
If you son is 5 months now, he will also probably be starting solids about
the same time you return to work. I don't see any reason for planning on
formula use.

Larry

Phoebe & Allyson
July 24th 03, 03:17 AM
betty wrote:

> I just wanted to have a backup.

Then I'd cross that bridge when I came to it (wait until
you're in a situation where the baby needs feeding, and it's
impossible to get breastmilk for him), rather than trying to
get him to take formula a full month before you go back to
work. I'd spend that time building up a freezer stash,
instead. It may be that if you ever do need him to take
something other than bm, he'll be old enough to have a
solids meal instead of a bottle.

Phoebe :)

Larry McMahan
July 24th 03, 07:31 PM
My point exactly. Besides there are scientific studies that show
that even for breastfed babies, adding formula to their diets increases
their risk for a variety of diseases, both in the short and long term.

It is best to breastfeed exclusively for the first 6 months, then to
avoid cow's milk products as you add solids for the first year.

Larry