ParentingBanter.com

-   General (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   an example of the mental health care breakdown (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=1101)

chiam margalit November 20th 03 05:42 AM

an example of the mental health care breakdown

We've been talking about one particular child, and in that thread I've
tried to point out that the mental health care system is atrocious for
adolescents, and that telling a person to get her child some 'help' is
often a fairly useless exercise in futility.

A case in point that hit us WAY too close to home, as DS had a very
similar reaction to Adderall, and has had the same problem with mixed
diagnosis and poor mental health care.

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/11/16/Fl...2000__A_.shtml

Marjorie

Hillary Israeli November 20th 03 01:08 PM

an example of the mental health care breakdown

In ,
chiam margalit wrote:

*http://www.sptimes.com/2003/11/16/Fl...2000__A_.shtml

I just read the article. I'm sick. I'm shaking. I'm horrified.

not-so-newly minted veterinarian-at-large :)

Elizabeth Reid November 20th 03 10:14 PM

(chiam margalit) wrote in message . com...
We've been talking about one particular child, and in that thread I've
tried to point out that the mental health care system is atrocious for
adolescents, and that telling a person to get her child some 'help' is
often a fairly useless exercise in futility.

A case in point that hit us WAY too close to home, as DS had a very
similar reaction to Adderall, and has had the same problem with mixed
diagnosis and poor mental health care.

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/11/16/Fl...2000__A_.shtml

Oh, how terrible. I can't begin to imagine the depth of pain
these parents must have suffered and are still suffering.

However... it doesn't sound like they're saying it's an exercise
in futility to get your child help. It sounds like they're saying
you should be ferocious in your determination to get your
child help. No holds barred, read everything you can, stay alert
to whether the current form of "help" is helping and work to
change it if it's not, keep abreast of research and educate
the professionals if necessary and don't be intimidated by
them if you think they're not doing the best thing for your
child.

They're also saying that getting help is no guarantee,
that tragedy can still strike and leave you bereft even if
you're doing the best you can for your kids. That is
unfortunately always true, although it's not something most
of us like to dwell on. It doesn't mean that all attempts
to help are futile.

Beth

Tina November 21st 03 02:54 AM

an example of the mental health care breakdown

(chiam margalit) wrote in message . com...
We've been talking about one particular child, and in that thread I've
tried to point out that the mental health care system is atrocious for
adolescents, and that telling a person to get her child some 'help' is
often a fairly useless exercise in futility.

A case in point that hit us WAY too close to home, as DS had a very
similar reaction to Adderall, and has had the same problem with mixed
diagnosis and poor mental health care.

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/11/16/Fl...2000__A_.shtml

Marjorie

Thank you for posting this link. I need to make sure to keep an eye
on things like this, as we may have some issues in my family. I think
the books mentioned in the article will be helpful, too.

Tina.