ParentingBanter.com

-   Pregnancy (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Postive thoughts for Nan, please! (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=7263)

DeliciousTruffles April 9th 04 07:31 PM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

Her DH just posted over at alt.mothers that there has been a
complication with Nan. She had her staples removed Wednesday (she had a
c-section on March 31) and her incision *completely* opened up while in
the pharmacy getting her medication. She was taken back to hospital by
ambulance and is still there. They don't know when she will be released.

I think she needs as many positive thoughts as we can muster right now.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/isabellazora/

~ Harriet Martineau

Carla April 9th 04 07:34 PM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 11:31:47 -0700, DeliciousTruffles
wrote:

Her DH just posted over at alt.mothers that there has been a
complication with Nan. She had her staples removed Wednesday (she had a
c-section on March 31) and her incision *completely* opened up while in
the pharmacy getting her medication. She was taken back to hospital by
ambulance and is still there. They don't know when she will be released.

I think she needs as many positive thoughts as we can muster right now.

Good lord how awful! Please let her know she & her family are in my
thoughts.

JennP April 9th 04 07:42 PM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...
Her DH just posted over at alt.mothers that there has been a
complication with Nan. She had her staples removed Wednesday (she had a
c-section on March 31) and her incision *completely* opened up while in
the pharmacy getting her medication. She was taken back to hospital by
ambulance and is still there. They don't know when she will be released.

I think she needs as many positive thoughts as we can muster right now.

Oh my God. That's just awful! I'm sending my thoughts to her and her family.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Sophie April 9th 04 07:51 PM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...
Her DH just posted over at alt.mothers that there has been a
complication with Nan. She had her staples removed Wednesday (she had a
c-section on March 31) and her incision *completely* opened up while in
the pharmacy getting her medication. She was taken back to hospital by
ambulance and is still there. They don't know when she will be released.

I think she needs as many positive thoughts as we can muster right now.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/isabellazora/

~ Harriet Martineau

OMGoodness, thinking good thoughts for sure.

Christine April 9th 04 08:34 PM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

WoW, poor gal.....that must have been a nightmare for her AND her
DH.....
she will be in my thoughts and prayers.........

Christine

Jill April 9th 04 08:35 PM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...
Her DH just posted over at alt.mothers that there has been a
complication with Nan. She had her staples removed Wednesday (she had a
c-section on March 31) and her incision *completely* opened up while in
the pharmacy getting her medication. She was taken back to hospital by
ambulance and is still there.

Yikes!!!!!!!

She is certainly in my thoughts and well-wishes.

Jill

Kat April 9th 04 10:10 PM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...
Her DH just posted over at alt.mothers that there has been a
complication with Nan. She had her staples removed Wednesday (she had a
c-section on March 31) and her incision *completely* opened up while in
the pharmacy getting her medication. She was taken back to hospital by
ambulance and is still there. They don't know when she will be released.

I think she needs as many positive thoughts as we can muster right now.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/isabellazora/

~ Harriet Martineau

How horrible and traumitizing!! I wish her a speedy recovery! Hope her and
the baby are doing well!
Kat
Mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and Will 02/10/04

Vicky Bilaniuk April 9th 04 11:07 PM

DeliciousTruffles wrote:

Her DH just posted over at alt.mothers that there has been a
complication with Nan. She had her staples removed Wednesday (she had a
c-section on March 31) and her incision *completely* opened up while in
the pharmacy getting her medication. She was taken back to hospital by
ambulance and is still there. They don't know when she will be released.

I think she needs as many positive thoughts as we can muster right now.

Oh my gosh, positive thoughts definitely!!! Oh Nan! I can't wait for
her to be better!

Holy smokes, if ever there was something that needed to be investigated,
*that's* a perfect example.

A&G&K April 9th 04 11:59 PM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...
Her DH just posted over at alt.mothers that there has been a
complication with Nan. She had her staples removed Wednesday (she had a
c-section on March 31) and her incision *completely* opened up while in
the pharmacy getting her medication. She was taken back to hospital by
ambulance and is still there. They don't know when she will be released.

I think she needs as many positive thoughts as we can muster right now.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/isabellazora/

~ Harriet Martineau

Yikes - how frightening. I do hope she is OK. Can you please keep us
updated (or ask her DH to drop us a line so that we know she's OK) .... I
can't get alt.mothers
+++++++++ve vibes
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Angela Schepers April 10th 04 01:18 AM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

She's in my thoughts and prayers.

Angela
EDD #1 5-13-04

Mary Gordon April 10th 04 02:20 AM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

Makes me SO glad that when I had my section, they sutured me all the
way with the dissolving stitches. I can still remember the nurse
coming to take out my staples, and being amazed I had none. I dunno,
maybe they had a med student practicing sutures. Healed to a close to
invisible hairline as well - and I do know several people who had
staples who had the wound come open again, although nothing like poor
Nan. That must have been terrifying.

Mary G.

Alpha April 10th 04 02:48 AM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

She had her staples removed Wednesday (she had a
c-section on March 31) and her incision *completely* opened up while in
the pharmacy getting her medication.

Oh my gosh, what a horror! I'll keep her in my thoughts.

-- Alpha
mom to Eamon and Quinn

DeliciousTruffles April 10th 04 03:37 AM

Mary Gordon wrote:

Makes me SO glad that when I had my section, they sutured me all the
way with the dissolving stitches. I can still remember the nurse
coming to take out my staples, and being amazed I had none. I dunno,
maybe they had a med student practicing sutures. Healed to a close to
invisible hairline as well - and I do know several people who had
staples who had the wound come open again, although nothing like poor
Nan. That must have been terrifying.

I had those as well. Actually, I requested the dissolving stitches
because I cringed at the thought of being "stapled." They also did a
few rows internally before the outside was stitched.

I teared up reading her dh's post. Terrifying would be a most proper
description.

Daye April 10th 04 04:26 AM

wrote:

I think she needs as many positive thoughts as we can muster right now.

With all that I have been going through, I just told my husband when
you think you life is total ****, it can be a hell of a lot worst. I
can't imagine what she is going through. My incision opening was
always a fear of mine.

I will not only be thinking of her, I will also say a prayer or two.
I hope she recovers fully and quickly.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan and Leopold

Daye April 10th 04 04:33 AM

On 9 Apr 2004 18:20:18 -0700, (Mary Gordon) wrote:

Makes me SO glad that when I had my section, they sutured me all the
way with the dissolving stitches.

I had dissolving stitches with both c-sections. I know that I told
the doctor that I didn't want staples unless absolutely necessary when
I was having the second one. That hospital doesn't normally use
staples.

Vicky Bilaniuk April 10th 04 05:22 AM

DeliciousTruffles wrote:

Mary Gordon wrote:

Makes me SO glad that when I had my section, they sutured me all the
way with the dissolving stitches. I can still remember the nurse
coming to take out my staples, and being amazed I had none. I dunno,
maybe they had a med student practicing sutures. Healed to a close to
invisible hairline as well - and I do know several people who had
staples who had the wound come open again, although nothing like poor
Nan. That must have been terrifying.

I had those as well. Actually, I requested the dissolving stitches
because I cringed at the thought of being "stapled." They also did a
few rows internally before the outside was stitched.

I teared up reading her dh's post. Terrifying would be a most proper
description.

Hate to post a me too post, but can't help it - the tears happened here,
too. Still happens, actually. I can only imagine myself in her shoes,
and terrifying would definitely be the word, for sure. I'm just so glad
that the pharmacist had called an ambulance for her.

This scares me, though, since there's a possibility that I might have to
have a c-section. Makes me think that if I have to have one, I'll
demand the dissolving sutures. I'm sure I would be able to specify in
advance.

Vicky Bilaniuk April 10th 04 05:24 AM

DeliciousTruffles wrote:

Mary Gordon wrote:

Makes me SO glad that when I had my section, they sutured me all the
way with the dissolving stitches. I can still remember the nurse
coming to take out my staples, and being amazed I had none. I dunno,
maybe they had a med student practicing sutures. Healed to a close to
invisible hairline as well - and I do know several people who had
staples who had the wound come open again, although nothing like poor
Nan. That must have been terrifying.

I had those as well. Actually, I requested the dissolving stitches
because I cringed at the thought of being "stapled." They also did a
few rows internally before the outside was stitched.

I teared up reading her dh's post. Terrifying would be a most proper
description.

One more thing is that it must have been absolutely horrifying for her
husband to see her running out like that. (I went looking at
alt.mothers and IIRC he was in the car and saw her come out, clutching
her abdomen) That poor guy. He's in my thoughts, too.

Jill April 10th 04 05:45 AM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

"Daye" wrote
My incision opening was
always a fear of mine.

\

However slim they say the chances are, this is why I have a terrible phobia
of abdominal surgery...and am terrified of needing a c-section. It's not the
pain that scares me, it's this. Well really, any kind of surgery that this
could happen with, worries me.

Amy April 10th 04 06:16 AM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

OMG! What a horrifying thing for her and her family to deal with. I hope
she's healed and able to come home soon.

ModernMiko April 10th 04 07:09 AM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

"Alpha" wrote in message
ink.net...
She had her staples removed Wednesday (she had a
c-section on March 31) and her incision *completely* opened up while in
the pharmacy getting her medication.

Oh my gosh, what a horror! I'll keep her in my thoughts.

-- Alpha
mom to Eamon and Quinn

I am sending many prayers her way! I cannot even imagine how horrifying that
was...

--
JennL
DS 06/26/98

Nikki April 10th 04 07:14 AM

DeliciousTruffles wrote:
Her DH just posted over at alt.mothers that there has been a
complication with Nan.

OMG how scary for her...and utterly miserable I'd think. My thoughts are
with her and I'm definitely wishing her a quick and speedy recovery.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Sophie April 10th 04 01:36 PM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

"Mary Gordon" wrote in message
om...
Makes me SO glad that when I had my section, they sutured me all the
way with the dissolving stitches. I can still remember the nurse
coming to take out my staples, and being amazed I had none. I dunno,
maybe they had a med student practicing sutures. Healed to a close to
invisible hairline as well - and I do know several people who had
staples who had the wound come open again, although nothing like poor
Nan. That must have been terrifying.

Mary G.

Well from the update, I got the impression Nan was discharged after having
the baby then went back to have the staples removed. I don't understand
that at all. I've always had mine removed before discharge and never had a
problem. The only time I hear of infection/problem is when the woman goes
home with the staples in.

Jacqui April 10th 04 01:40 PM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

Sophie wibbled

Well from the update, I got the impression Nan was discharged
after having the baby then went back to have the staples removed.
I don't understand that at all. I've always had mine removed
before discharge and never had a problem. The only time I hear of
infection/problem is when the woman goes home with the staples in.

Mine was infected before discharge (day 7) but because no one would
make a decision about the stitches (there was weeping but they couldn't
see where from; the stitches were too tight but they disagreed about
whether removing them would make the wound reopen...) I went home with
them in anyway. 2 days of that (in a heatwave) and it was clear things
were not good, so the MW removed them on day 9. Cue six lots of
antibiotics and eight weeks of wound treatment. :-(

Jac

Donna April 10th 04 07:31 PM

Mary Gordon wrote:

Actually, I requested the dissolving stitches
because I cringed at the thought of being "stapled." They also did a
few rows internally before the outside was stitched.

Same here. A few layers stitched inside, then stitching of the external
incision.

Poor, poor Nan. How absolutely terrifying.

Is there any more news as of today?

Donna

DeliciousTruffles April 10th 04 09:19 PM

Donna wrote:

Is there any more news as of today?

No. Nothing more has been posted. :-(

Iuil April 10th 04 09:33 PM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote

I had those as well. Actually, I requested the dissolving stitches
because I cringed at the thought of being "stapled." They also did a
few rows internally before the outside was stitched.

Externally I had a single "running stitch" with a bead at each end. It was
removed on the fourth day (? - I think it was the day before I was
discharged) and there was no problem.

I've only heard of staples being used on large wounds in posts here - afaik,
they're not used at all over here.

Jean

JennP April 11th 04 02:36 AM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...

I teared up reading her dh's post. Terrifying would be a most proper
description.

I read that post too and had the same reaction. Terrifying and horrifying.
The poor thing. I hope that she heals ok. Have there been any more updates,
Brigitte?
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Alpha April 11th 04 02:47 AM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

Vicky says:

This scares me, though, since there's a possibility that I might have to
have a c-section. Makes me think that if I have to have one, I'll
demand the dissolving sutures.

FWIW, I had staples the first time around and healed exactly as I should
have. I had dissolving stitches the second time around, and there was a 1-
inch segment of my incision that refused to heal. I had it cauterized at 6
weeks postpartum (which was traumatic for me), but that didn't work. It
didn't stop bleeding until 3 months postpartum. Awful.

If you can avoid a c/s, do. :-)

-- Alpha
mom to Eamon and Quinn

DeliciousTruffles April 11th 04 03:26 AM

JennP wrote:

Have there been any more updates, Brigitte?

No. Nothing yet. :-(

Irrational Number April 11th 04 07:09 AM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

"Mary Gordon" wrote in message
om...

Makes me SO glad that when I had my section, they sutured me all the
way with the dissolving stitches.

My OB said that I needed staples because they're
stronger and I had the large vertical incision.
Got half of them removed at 1 week, the rest at
2 weeks. I did not have any problems.

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Irene April 11th 04 07:13 PM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

DeliciousTruffles wrote in message ...
Her DH just posted over at alt.mothers that there has been a
complication with Nan. She had her staples removed Wednesday (she had a
c-section on March 31) and her incision *completely* opened up while in
the pharmacy getting her medication. She was taken back to hospital by
ambulance and is still there. They don't know when she will be released.

I think she needs as many positive thoughts as we can muster right now.

Yikes! That just sounds terrifying! I'm definitely sending positive
thought in her direction!

Irene

Unadulterated Me April 12th 04 01:24 AM

Mary Gordon wrote:

Makes me SO glad that when I had my section, they sutured me all the
way with the dissolving stitches. I can still remember the nurse
coming to take out my staples, and being amazed I had none. I dunno,
maybe they had a med student practicing sutures. Healed to a close to
invisible hairline as well - and I do know several people who had
staples who had the wound come open again, although nothing like poor
Nan. That must have been terrifying.

Mary G.

Was that dissolvable on the outside as in you could see the stitches
like on head wounds, or disolvable on the inside? I didn't have any
stitches on the outside just the inside one. I had a double layer
uterine closure with an extra figure 8 closure on the uterine tear I
sustained during the operation. Regular closure of the rectus sheath,
then a subcuticular closure to the skin, so nothing was visible from the
outside. All I have now is a small fine line above my pubic hair line. I
didn't get one of the shelves or bulges that c/section mums talk about
either it's all flat so I don't know if my surgery technique had
anything to do with that or whether it was just one of those things. I
did have haematoma ridges on either side of the wound for a few weeks
though that were pretty painful.
Here's a cute little flash on the type of closure I had.
http://www.constantinestudios.com/animation2.html

Andrea

Unadulterated Me April 12th 04 01:35 AM

Sophie wrote:

[...]

Looking at the dates her hubby posted in a.m she had Abi ont he 31/3
came home on the 4/4 and had her staples out and wound rupture on the
7th. Is 4 day's in hospital about the average stay in the US? I self
discharged on day 4 but I didn't have to have anything removed I'm not
sure what the deal would be if their was stitches or staples to come
out, is that usually done so early or is it at 1 week?

Andrea

DeliciousTruffles April 12th 04 03:39 AM

Unadulterated Me wrote:

Looking at the dates her hubby posted in a.m she had Abi ont he 31/3
came home on the 4/4 and had her staples out and wound rupture on the
7th. Is 4 day's in hospital about the average stay in the US? I self
discharged on day 4 but I didn't have to have anything removed I'm not
sure what the deal would be if their was stitches or staples to come
out, is that usually done so early or is it at 1 week?

I believe the average stay for a c-section in the States is 4 days. In
Canada it is 3-4 days. Although, I was discharged 40 hours after my
c-section. I'm in Canada and I requested dissolvable stitches.

DeliciousTruffles April 12th 04 03:40 AM

Unadulterated Me wrote:

Was that dissolvable on the outside as in you could see the stitches
like on head wounds, or disolvable on the inside? I didn't have any
stitches on the outside just the inside one. I had a double layer
uterine closure with an extra figure 8 closure on the uterine tear I
sustained during the operation. Regular closure of the rectus sheath,
then a subcuticular closure to the skin, so nothing was visible from the
outside. All I have now is a small fine line above my pubic hair line. I
didn't get one of the shelves or bulges that c/section mums talk about
either it's all flat so I don't know if my surgery technique had
anything to do with that or whether it was just one of those things. I
did have haematoma ridges on either side of the wound for a few weeks
though that were pretty painful.

I had the same as you WRT to the stitching.

Daye April 12th 04 07:00 AM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:39:22 -0700, DeliciousTruffles
wrote:

I believe the average stay for a c-section in the States is 4 days. In
Canada it is 3-4 days.

In Australia, the average is 5 days.

Anne Rogers April 12th 04 10:39 AM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

I believe the average stay for a c-section in the States is 4 days. In
Canada it is 3-4 days.

In Australia, the average is 5 days.

I might be wrong, but it seems to be 3 nights at our local hospital,
provided a blood test on the third morning comes back fine.

Ilse Witch April 12th 04 04:04 PM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 11:31:47 -0700, DeliciousTruffles wrote:

I think she needs as many positive thoughts as we can muster right now.

You just had me speechless there..
*~*~*~*~*~positive thoughts for Nan~*~*~*~*~*

--
-- I
mommy to DS (20m)

Mary W. April 12th 04 04:35 PM

Unadulterated Me wrote:

Sophie wrote:

[...]

My stay was 3 nights (baby born Sunday at 2 pm, I checked out Wed
~ 7pm (to avoid rush hour traffic!)). My staples were removed on Wed
before discharge. I didn't go back to the OB until my 6 week followup.
They did leave tape over the scar after the staples were removed.

FWIW, I had no problems with my scar, no infection or bruising.
It was a bit tender if pressed for awhile but other than that, it was fine.

Mary

Sophie April 12th 04 06:47 PM

Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

My stay was 3 nights (baby born Sunday at 2 pm, I checked out Wed
~ 7pm (to avoid rush hour traffic!)). My staples were removed on Wed
before discharge. I didn't go back to the OB until my 6 week followup.
They did leave tape over the scar after the staples were removed.

FWIW, I had no problems with my scar, no infection or bruising.
It was a bit tender if pressed for awhile but other than that, it was

fine.

Mary

Same here. I stay 3 nights, get my staples removed the day I get
discharged, they put tape on the scar that just comes off on its own. No
more check-ups till the 6 week one. Never had any problems.