ParentingBanter.com

-   General (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Question for religious parents (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=38593)

[email protected] February 20th 06 07:01 AM

Question for religious parents

Would you have a problem with your child being friends with an atheist,
or being friends with a child who's parents are atheists?

The reason I ask is that I am an atheist and I have a daughter who is
almost two and I live in a very religious area. Now that my daughter is
not really a baby anymore I am starting to think about these issues and
wondering if she is going to have trouble having friends.

Barbara February 20th 06 11:21 AM

wrote:
Would you have a problem with your child being friends with an atheist,
or being friends with a child who's parents are atheists?

The reason I ask is that I am an atheist and I have a daughter who is
almost two and I live in a very religious area. Now that my daughter is
not really a baby anymore I am starting to think about these issues and
wondering if she is going to have trouble having friends.

I wouldn't have any problem with it whatsoever, so long as you were
respectful of our beliefs. (And we, of course, would do the same for
your beliefs.)

I think you have to recognize that as your daughter grows, there will
be questions by both your daughter and her playmates (*how come ...*),
there will be discussions, and there will be times when she feels
excluded (eg, when the other kids are discussing religious school or
services). That's all part of growing up, and part of teaching your
child to adhere to a belief system.

Barbara

Marie February 20th 06 12:35 PM

Question for religious parents

wrote in message
oups.com...
Would you have a problem with your child being friends with an atheist,
or being friends with a child who's parents are atheists?

The reason I ask is that I am an atheist and I have a daughter who is
almost two and I live in a very religious area. Now that my daughter is
not really a baby anymore I am starting to think about these issues and
wondering if she is going to have trouble having friends.

When I was growing up, my parents did not allow me to be friends with other
kids who were not Christians or were not "good enough". I frequently lied
about who I talked to at school, because even though someone might have gone
to church, if he/she wasn't perfect (or didn't give off that perfect
righteous image my parents fell for) I would get in trouble for hanging
around with them. So yes there are people who will not let their children be
friends with atheists.
I doubt your daughter will have trouble having friends, though, as long as
you don't live in a hokey little town in the Deep South like I did. I am not
religious now, and in fact we are in a group of secular homeschoolers and
all of my closest friends(including my best friend from middle school) are
pagan, agnostic, or atheist. I tend to stay away from the bible thumpers,
because I'd rather not be told that I'm going to hell, or my kids need to be
in church.
In which area of the US do you live?
Marie

Barbara February 20th 06 02:34 PM

Question for religious parents

Marie wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Would you have a problem with your child being friends with an atheist,
or being friends with a child who's parents are atheists?

SNIP
I tend to stay away from the bible thumpers,
because I'd rather not be told that I'm going to hell, or my kids need to be
in church.

SNIP

And this would differ from religious people who would prefer that their
children not play with non-religious people ... exactly how?

Barbara

bizby40 February 20th 06 02:45 PM

Question for religious parents

"Barbara" wrote in message
oups.com...

Marie wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Would you have a problem with your child being friends with an atheist,
or being friends with a child who's parents are atheists?

SNIP
I tend to stay away from the bible thumpers,
because I'd rather not be told that I'm going to hell, or my kids need to
be
in church.

SNIP

And this would differ from religious people who would prefer that their
children not play with non-religious people ... exactly how?

In that the non-religious people aren't going to tell the
religious people that they are going to Hell. Besides,
she said, "Bible thumpers" which I take to mean
people who are very vocal about their religion, people
who are likely to judge others about their lack, or difference
of religion. There are atheists like this too. People who
consider anyone who believes in a higher power to be
a gullible idiot, and don't mind saying so at any
opportunity. I wouldn't hold it against a religious family
to keep their child away from someone like that.

Bizby

Sidheag McCormack February 20th 06 02:56 PM

Question for religious parents

Barbara writes:

Marie wrote:
SNIP I tend to stay away from the bible thumpers,
because I'd rather not be told that I'm going to hell, or my kids need
to be in church.
SNIP

And this would differ from religious people who would prefer that their
children not play with non-religious people ... exactly how?

In whether the person concerned is attempting to impose their beliefs on
someone else, or not. A "Bible thumper" is by definition a person who does
this wrt Christianity, or at least that's my understanding.

I do think there's a difficult angle where children are concerned, though.
As an adult, I don't need to avoid religious people as a group: if someone
does push their religion on me, I can recognise what's happening and choose
whether to avoid that individual in future. I'm slightly concerned, though,
that preschoolers may not have adult sensitivities on this. If it ever
happened that someone else's preschooler told mine he was going to hell, or
that Jesus saved us, for that matter, I'd be a lot more concerned about
whom he talked unsupervised to in future, and yes, if that happened, I
could imagine wanting myself or a trusted adult to be present any time he
talked to a child from a fundamentalist household.

I'm not sure whether this is a reasonable concern, or whether actually even
very young children have enough tact that it isn't likely to happen in
practice. I *do* remember this kind of talk directed at me by other
children when I was a child, but age 8-10, at which point I could more or
less cope.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Banty February 20th 06 03:13 PM

Question for religious parents

In article , Sidheag McCormack says...

Barbara writes:

Marie wrote:
[...]

I think it depends on what it means by 'religious'. And how the particular
religious family handles it. Atheists by and large don't proseltyse; and most
religions by and large do not. I don't view occassional comments and
discussions between kids of different faiths (or no faith) as a problem - it's
fodder for family discussion about differences between people and how to handle
it.

Concerted prosyltization, on the other hand, can be a problem.

Banty

Ericka Kammerer February 20th 06 03:56 PM

wrote:
Would you have a problem with your child being friends with an atheist,
or being friends with a child who's parents are atheists?

No, but that doesn't mean there aren't people who (sadly)
would have a problem. Depends on the person.

The reason I ask is that I am an atheist and I have a daughter who is
almost two and I live in a very religious area. Now that my daughter is
not really a baby anymore I am starting to think about these issues and
wondering if she is going to have trouble having friends.

Neither your child nor you should be discussing religion
with other folks. There's a reason Miss Manners declares religion
out of bounds for polite social conversation. You will likely
run into some situations where the subject comes up (even in
school, where it's not uncommon for teachers to poll the kids
on who belongs to what religious/cultural background when
discussing all the various winter holidays), but by and large
it's best avoided. Teach your child (as she gets older) not
to ask others personal questions about their religion and help
her develop some responses when others ask her about hers
("I prefer to keep my religious beliefs private" or something
neutral like that).

Best wishes,
Ericka

toto February 20th 06 04:12 PM

Question for religious parents

On 20 Feb 2006 06:34:45 -0800, "Barbara"
wrote:

Marie wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Would you have a problem with your child being friends with an atheist,
or being friends with a child who's parents are atheists?

SNIP
I tend to stay away from the bible thumpers,
because I'd rather not be told that I'm going to hell, or my kids need to be
in church.

SNIP

And this would differ from religious people who would prefer that their
children not play with non-religious people ... exactly how?

Bible thumpers are a specific *brand* of religious people.

Most religious folks I know don't generally bring up religion
with others who are not of their own faith. Most children who are
religious don't tell other kids they are going to hell either.

Barbara

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits