ParentingBanter.com

-   General (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   infant and new carpet? (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=1090)

Jay November 19th 03 04:43 PM

infant and new carpet?

I am getting a new carpet in my new apartment sometime early next week. Lets
say, I will have 3 days between the new carpet installation and baby
crawling on it.

Q. I have heard concerns about new carpet fumes being harmful to infants,
etc.. I am wondering if it is really "harmful" or just offensive odor. Is
this something I should be concerned about? Any tips will be helpful too.

Thanks,
Jay

Banty November 19th 03 04:52 PM

infant and new carpet?

In article , Jay says...

I am getting a new carpet in my new apartment sometime early next week. Lets
say, I will have 3 days between the new carpet installation and baby
crawling on it.

Q. I have heard concerns about new carpet fumes being harmful to infants,
etc.. I am wondering if it is really "harmful" or just offensive odor. Is
this something I should be concerned about? Any tips will be helpful too.

Thanks,
Jay

New carpets outgas a lot of plasticizers from the carpet materials (acrylics,
whatever - anything but wool). I haven't bothered to look for specific
information as to whether or not these are proven harmful, but to *me* it's more
than offensive smell, it's a chemical outgas that makes me very uncomfortable.
I wouldn't consider it for a crawling baby. And when I've gotten new carpets or
new carpets have been installed at my workkplace, I notice the outgas odor on
the order of weeks, not days.

How about waiting on the carpet installation until the baby is no longer walking
at least, and until the spring when you can open windows a lot if it makes a
difference in your climate. Is this a rental? See what you can arrange with
your landlord, or consider living with the old carpet. Or consider finishing
hardwood floors if you have them underneath.

Banty

Cathy Weeks November 19th 03 08:53 PM

infant and new carpet?

"Jay" wrote in message .com...
I am getting a new carpet in my new apartment sometime early next week. Lets
say, I will have 3 days between the new carpet installation and baby
crawling on it.

Q. I have heard concerns about new carpet fumes being harmful to infants,
etc.. I am wondering if it is really "harmful" or just offensive odor. Is
this something I should be concerned about? Any tips will be helpful too.

I have heard this too. I would suggest the following: thoroughly
vacuuming it several times (even though it's new) and leaving as many
windows open and fans on as you can stand during that 3 days between
installation and baby crawling on it.

It can't hurt.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01

0tterbot November 19th 03 11:13 PM

infant and new carpet?

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Jay says...

[...]

afaik most carpets release chemicals (formaldehyde & so forth) for months or
years, rather than weeks. so i'd say it really doesn't matter if the baby's
crawling on it or just breathing the air, if it's going to have an effect on
anyone it will happen anyway.

new carpet, painting, & those sorts of activities are really for warmer
weather, because they *do* create a chemical pong which will be problematic
for some people, & require considerable airing.
kylie

Banty November 20th 03 12:46 AM

infant and new carpet?

In article , 0tterbot says...

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Jay says...

[...]

It's worse in the beginning, though. And worse very close to the carpet. And
being in it for some time can have cumulative effect, or sensitize one
allergically.

Banty

Chookie November 21st 03 01:03 PM

infant and new carpet?

In article ,
"Jay" wrote:

I am getting a new carpet in my new apartment sometime early next week. Lets
say, I will have 3 days between the new carpet installation and baby
crawling on it.

Plenty of people have talked about outgassing, but I must say that I would not
be putting new carpet down for practical reasons. Vomit, playdough, paint and
plain old dirt -- unless the carpet is worn to the backing, you might as well
save the money for another 8 years or so.

Half seriously,

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc

Jay November 21st 03 07:58 PM

infant and new carpet?

Thank you everyone for the response. I spoke to my pediatrician and also the
carpet company and this is what I got: Generally, if they use glue to put
the carpet, it may be harmful especially to people with respiratory
problems. Anyway, my guy is not using glue at all - so it should be safe.

Jay

. com...

Jenn November 24th 03 05:53 PM

infant and new carpet?

In article ,
"Jay" wrote:

Thank you everyone for the response. I spoke to my pediatrician and also the
carpet company and this is what I got: Generally, if they use glue to put
the carpet, it may be harmful especially to people with respiratory
problems. Anyway, my guy is not using glue at all - so it should be safe.

Jay

the formaldehyde outgassing occurs, glue or not -- I'd sure do a lot of
ventilating with windows open and certainly not put a baby down on it
for a few weeks ---

. com...