ParentingBanter.com

-   General (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Peeing in snowsuit (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=26244)

Marc January 10th 05 01:41 PM

Peeing in snowsuit

My 10 years old boy peed in his snowsuit 3 times when playing outside
this winter. He said it's by accident, but I don't thing is accident,
because he never have accident when he's out of his snowsuit. I know
he like playing in snow with his friends, sleeding, snowmen, snowfort,
but why peeing in snowsuit. He don't want tell-me, he said only
accident ! Someone have experiance with snowsuit wetting ?

Banty January 10th 05 02:23 PM

In article , Marc says...

My 10 years old boy peed in his snowsuit 3 times when playing outside
this winter. He said it's by accident, but I don't thing is accident,
because he never have accident when he's out of his snowsuit. I know
he like playing in snow with his friends, sleeding, snowmen, snowfort,
but why peeing in snowsuit. He don't want tell-me, he said only
accident ! Someone have experiance with snowsuit wetting ?

I think it's just such a production to get into and out of a snowsuit, and so
much fun with his friends that he doesn't want to miss because it only happens
one season a year.

Possibly, the snowsuit is too complicated - some of them are. Is it a one
piece? I would recommend snow pants and a jacket if it is.

Banty

shinypenny January 10th 05 03:01 PM

Marc wrote:
My 10 years old boy peed in his snowsuit 3 times when playing outside
this winter. He said it's by accident, but I don't thing is accident,
because he never have accident when he's out of his snowsuit. I know
he like playing in snow with his friends, sleeding, snowmen,

snowfort,
but why peeing in snowsuit. He don't want tell-me, he said only
accident ! Someone have experiance with snowsuit wetting ?

Probably having too much fun to want to stop and go in to pee. Too much
work taking off the snowsuit, the boots, the mittens, etc, then putting
it all back on.

A creative suggestion: teach him how to write his name in the snow.
Then when he has to go, he will want to go outside. :-)

jen

enigma January 10th 05 03:06 PM

Banty wrote in
:

In article
, Marc
says...

My 10 years old boy peed in his snowsuit 3 times when
playing outside this winter. He said it's by accident, but
I don't thing is accident, because he never have accident
when he's out of his snowsuit. I know he like playing in
snow with his friends, sleeding, snowmen, snowfort, but why
peeing in snowsuit. He don't want tell-me, he said only
accident ! Someone have experiance with snowsuit wetting ?

I think it's just such a production to get into and out of
a snowsuit, and so much fun with his friends that he
doesn't want to miss because it only happens one season a
year.

also, going from warm inside to cold outside can cause little
boys to pee even if they think they don't have to. so you
could tell him he *has* to use the bathroom before he gets
dressed to go out & play.

Possibly, the snowsuit is too complicated - some of them
are. Is it a one piece? I would recommend snow pants and
a jacket if it is.

i'd think a 10 year old would be much happier in snow pants &
jacket, rather than a one piece snowsuit. my 4 year old has
been in snowpants/coat since his 2nd winter. it's much easier
to thermoregulate if you can choose a lighter or heavier coat
(or even a sweater/jumper) based on current weather. the
snowpants are just to keep his regular pants drier longer &
add a bit of insulation
lee

Banty January 10th 05 03:27 PM

In article , enigma says...

Banty wrote in
:

In article
, Marc
says...

[...]

Another thing - snow bibs instead of snow pants are popular now, and with good
reason. But they do require taking a lot off in order to pee (or a lot of
rearranging). So for this boy, pull down snow pants may be the answer.

Banty

Jeff January 11th 05 02:54 AM

"Marc" wrote in message
m...
My 10 years old boy peed in his snowsuit 3 times when playing outside
this winter. He said it's by accident, but I don't thing is accident,
because he never have accident when he's out of his snowsuit. I know
he like playing in snow with his friends, sleeding, snowmen, snowfort,
but why peeing in snowsuit. He don't want tell-me, he said only
accident ! Someone have experiance with snowsuit wetting ?

I believe in natural consequences. The natural consequence if I pee in my
snow suit is that I have to wash it, my pants, underwear, etc. If you make
your son do this when he has an accident, I bet this will solve the problem.

Just explain to him that he may pee in his snowsuit all he wants, but he is
the one who gets to wash it and his clothes next time it happens.

Jeff

GI Trekker January 11th 05 08:38 AM

I don't see this as an accident. I see it as one of two possible causes:

#1 - He doesn't want to take the time to come inside and remove the snowsuit (I
assume this is fairly bulky) to go properly, and then have to redress to go
back to his friends. He figures they probably won't notice, so he pees.

#2 - He's doing it to warm up. Ask military personnel who go through SEAL
training. One aspect of their training is to sit in freezing cold ocean water.
They say that wetting your pants helps you warm up.

This doesn't EXCUSE the behavior in either case, and I agree with the
consequences listed that he should clean the snowsuit. But I don't see this as
an accident, and I suspect one of these two reasons is the most probable cause.

Stephanie Stowe January 12th 05 05:41 PM

"Marc" wrote in message
m...
My 10 years old boy peed in his snowsuit 3 times when playing outside
this winter. He said it's by accident, but I don't thing is accident,
because he never have accident when he's out of his snowsuit. I know
he like playing in snow with his friends, sleeding, snowmen, snowfort,
but why peeing in snowsuit. He don't want tell-me, he said only
accident ! Someone have experiance with snowsuit wetting ?

My guess would be that he is having fun and does not want to go through the
long adventure of coming into the house, taking off the boots, taking off
the snowsuit, going, then getting all duded up. So he waits until the last
minute, then *does* have an accident.

Stephanie Stowe January 12th 05 05:42 PM

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Marc says...

My 10 years old boy peed in his snowsuit 3 times when playing outside
this winter. He said it's by accident, but I don't thing is accident,
because he never have accident when he's out of his snowsuit. I know
he like playing in snow with his friends, sleeding, snowmen, snowfort,
but why peeing in snowsuit. He don't want tell-me, he said only
accident ! Someone have experiance with snowsuit wetting ?

I think it's just such a production to get into and out of a snowsuit, and

so
much fun with his friends that he doesn't want to miss because it only

happens
one season a year.

Possibly, the snowsuit is too complicated - some of them are. Is it a one
piece? I would recommend snow pants and a jacket if it is.

Banty

One piece ones can be Ok for boy if they have a fly and if the child does
not wear a lot of layers underneath.

Catherine Woodgold January 14th 05 12:29 AM

"Jeff" ) writes:
I believe in natural consequences. The natural consequence if I pee in my
snow suit is that I have to wash it, my pants, underwear, etc. If you make
your son do this when he has an accident, I bet this will solve the problem.

Just explain to him that he may pee in his snowsuit all he wants, but he is
the one who gets to wash it and his clothes next time it happens.

I think that could do a lot more harm than good,
especially since he probably doesn't have complete
control over his peeing. I doubt he wants to
pee in his snowsuit at all.

A better natural consequence is that he's required to pee
just before going outside to play, and has to come in
perhaps every 2 hours to pee.

Whatever the natural consequence is, I think it's best
to present it very gently and tactfully to the child:
gently suggesting that the child pee before going out,
then getting more insistent if the child doesn't want to;
avoiding saying "you have to" or even worse "you can't".

Once you tell the child he has to wash his pants,
you're stuck: if he refuses, you have to either "give in",
or apply some other consequence or
harsh coercive tactic. Neither is a good
choice. He may be likely to refuse because he feels
it wasn't his fault and because he's embarassed.

Not a very positive way to introduce a child to the
everyday task of doing laundry!
--
Cathy
A *much* better world is possible.