Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Beth Kevles
Forum: General June 18th 09, 11:15 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 5
Posted By Beth Kevles
Swimming classes ineffective

Hi --

Swimming lessons, just like any other subject, can be well-taught or
poorly-taught. Where we live, we've had poor teachers at our local
public pool, excellent teachers at our local public...
Forum: General May 12th 09, 06:36 PM Posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.headlines,misc.kids
Replies: 12
Posted By Beth Kevles
Vaccination Truth

For excellent vaccine information, go to

http://www.cdc.gov
You can also look up research on vaccines on PubMed at

http://www.nih.gov

Unless you prefer to believe in government or...
Forum: General April 23rd 09, 02:05 AM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 6
Posted By Beth Kevles
Safe internet access for kids

Hi --

Put the computer with internet access in a public area.

Only permit access to specific web sites. At her age, you don't need to
let her have free-ranging access to the internet. pbskids.org...
Forum: General February 8th 09, 03:41 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 8
Posted By Beth Kevles
How many uniforms for a kindergartener?

Hi --

Unless your child is unusually tidy, I'd think one complete uniform per
day. If you get three uniforms, that means you need to do laundry every
three school days. If your child is unusually...
Forum: General February 6th 09, 09:56 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 3
Posted By Beth Kevles
Grommets

If the temperature is very high, call back the GP!!!

--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE
Disclaimer: ...
Forum: General January 7th 09, 12:45 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 6
Posted By Beth Kevles
cars - sliding door v. regular door

Hi --

We have a minivan with two sliding doors and are happy with it. The big
disadvantage is that the windows don't open on the sliding doors. Now,
our van is 10 years old, so that might not be...
Forum: General January 4th 09, 07:34 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 18
Posted By Beth Kevles
Ped appointment

Lead testing requirements vary by state. Where our kids go to school,
lead testing is required on the school health form at age 4, I think.

I wish all states had required lead testing of young...
Forum: General November 3rd 08, 06:59 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 25
Posted By Beth Kevles
what to do when your kid hurts another

There are good suggestions at http://angriesout.com

They have very effective suggestions to help people (adults as well as
kids) control their anger. We used some of the ideas there to help...
Forum: General October 2nd 08, 10:03 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 39
Posted By Beth Kevles
How to deal with 7 year old?

Hi --

The suggestions given on this thread have been excellent. However,
there's one thing that seems to be missing ... Have you spent one-on-one
time with your 7-year old just talking? Talk about...
Forum: General September 26th 08, 03:14 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 10
Posted By Beth Kevles
OPC... Other People's Children

Hi --

I'm not sure why the school (where the lessons are taking place) doesn't
have a behavior policy. In most places like this, children who are
disruptive are simply removed from the class, no...
Forum: General September 26th 08, 03:09 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 26
Posted By Beth Kevles
After school activities for 6yr old

Hi --

Is it too much? It depends.

1. Is he happy taking the lessons?
2. Are YOU finding yourself stressed by his afterschool activities?
(Ie, too much driving him, or not enough time to get...
Forum: General September 14th 08, 06:41 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 8
Posted By Beth Kevles
neighbor DID call CPS on us - long rant

Hi --

Keep a written record of what you've told them, what CPS has told them
AND you, and pediatrician notes. Also, keep a written record of every
time they threaten you with calling CPS. This...
Forum: General September 1st 08, 12:35 AM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 10
Posted By Beth Kevles
Trouble makers?

Hi --

A child who behave consistently in this kind of aggressive manner is a
child with problems. He may have innate psychological issues, he may
have clueless parents, but it's also possible that...
Forum: General July 31st 08, 03:38 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 30
Posted By Beth Kevles
School Breakfasts (and lunches)

Hi --

Where I live, full-day kindy has been advocated (and implemented) on
strictly educational grounds. Kids who attend full-day kindy apparently
(statistically speaking) do better in school over...
Forum: General July 24th 08, 06:44 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 24
Posted By Beth Kevles
son is often tired

Hi --

Think about just what he's eating, especially in the evening. It
needn't be caffeine or sugar, just something that keeps *him* awake.
One of my kids had trouble digesting milk. We took milk...
Forum: General June 29th 08, 03:32 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 9
Posted By Beth Kevles
Is my son developing too early???

The American Dental Association has a web site with lots of information
about teeth, tooth problems, dentists, etc. The link below tells you
when teeth typically "erupt" (ie, poke their way out of...
Forum: General June 29th 08, 03:11 AM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 9
Posted By Beth Kevles
Is my son developing too early???

Hello --

This doesn't seem unusual to me, but if you're concerned you should take
your son to a dentist. In the meantime, a pain reliever at night should
help with the sleeping trouble.

Good...
Forum: General June 13th 08, 02:40 AM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 13
Posted By Beth Kevles
lap belt question

Hi --

I didn't realize you could get cars with only lap belts anymore (in any
seats). Lap belts are inherently less safe than shoulder + lap belts.
They don't restrain the upper body. This means...
Forum: General May 15th 08, 09:00 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 3
Posted By Beth Kevles
my 6 year old poops his pants

Hi --

I know that some people think the method I outlined (not my own method,
by the way, but one that's recommended by many pediatricians) is
micro-managing, but really, it's about emptying a...
Forum: General May 14th 08, 01:31 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 10
Posted By Beth Kevles
my 6 year old poops his pants

Encoporesis (pooping in the pants) is not *that* unusual in school-aged
children. If it appears *after* the completion of toilet training
(typically when a child starts formal schooling) then it...
Forum: General May 9th 08, 10:36 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 2
Posted By Beth Kevles
friend moving, DS acting out

Hi --

Summer is a time when a LOT of families move. So, in tandem with all
the great suggestions about dealing with his best friend leaving, you
might also talk to him about how hard it can be to...
Forum: General May 7th 08, 11:57 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 10
Posted By Beth Kevles
my 6 year old poops his pants

Definitely speak with your physician. This is not *that* uncommon a
problem. You may also wish to google for "encoporesis" to learn a bit
more, but the physician should be the first stop.

--Beth...
Forum: General April 28th 08, 02:26 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
Replies: 187
Posted By Beth Kevles
Preparing sibling for birth process?

Fascinating ....

http://www.somethingyoushouldknow.net/transcript12_5_03.htm

Well, this doesn't strike me as "evidence" of anything except an ability
to get people to listen to sound bites. But...
Forum: Pregnancy April 28th 08, 02:26 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
Replies: 192