Old July 25th 04, 02:59 AM
newfy.1

Default Losing weight by breastfeeding

"Wendy" wrote in message
In many different places I have read and heard about breastfeeding
helping you to regain your shape and lose weight after having a baby. Is
this really true? Has it worked for anyone? I wasn't able to bf Nolan
for long enough to really tell. (only 2 months) I know I did lose quite
a bit of weight during that time but it could have been from all of the
swelling going down and simply from giving birth. I know bf-ing burns a
lot of calories but you have to eat more calories than usual to preserve
the quality of the milk supply. If you are on a "diet" and restricting
your caloric intake isn't that bad for the milk? So are you better off
bf-ing or stopping bf-ing and going on a diet, in terms of losing
weight?

I wasn't one of those who lost a bunch of weight while breastfeeding
unfortunately. However, there is no reason that you can't diet while
breastfeeding. Weight Watchers has an excellent program that myself and many
others here have had good success with. Just don't start too early, make
sure bf is well established and keep hydrated. Chances are, your supply will
be just fine.

JennP.