Old June 11th 04, 06:28 AM
R. Steve Walz

Default How Children REALLY React To Control

Nathan A. Barclay wrote:

"R. Steve Walz" wrote in message

No. Think a minute, what is the one way someone could be exposed to
abuse and yet not themselves be abused, so that they learned about
abuse but had little or none of the neurotic reaction against it,
but who was scandalized by it and horrified by it unlike others more
accustomed to it?? Answer: By living as the exceptional family among
a real bunch of abusive insane fundy rural hillbillies and being
totally disgusted by the effects of abuse on their little playmates
who ARE being abyssmally abused for a decade or more by these abusive
cretins!!

If the statistics even come halfway close to holding, most of your "little
playmates" presumably grew up to believe in spanking.

------------------
That *IS* the classic effect of cognitive dissonance.
They agree with their abuser because of their desperate need to feel
they are loved, even if perversely so by their abusers.

Would you take the
kind of verbally abusive attitude toward them that you do toward me?

-------------------
Sure, they are like heroin addicts, they need a kick in the ass.

Or are
you just doing it toward me because I'm someone you don't know, and are
therefore more free to assume the worst about:?

----------------
We are before an audience, I talk, then you talk, the issues are
extremely serious beyond our two lives, if you can't handle it,
then stop. If you want a private appointment, call my nurse.

And why would you
expect such a tone to be any more successful with adults than it would
be with your children?

---------------------------
Because those who abuse need to be harmed to stop them,
they are beyond remediation. In future societies we will
need work-camps for such assholes.

"They need to be harmed to stop them" sounds an awful lot like the attitude
that "those who abuse" take toward children, doesn't it?

------------------------
No, the child isn't abusing anyone, the abuser is.

And if it is impossible to persuade people who believe that spanking is
useful that it isn't, how do you expect us to get to the kind of "future
societies" you speak of?

Why, kill them all, of course, they're criminals!

Or institute surveillance and public torture for such crimes
till they're so terrified of being caught or their angry kid
turning them in, that they desist. If terrifying them into
behaving is sufficient, maybe we won't need to torture too
many of them to death at halftime shows.
Steve