Old May 22nd 04, 04:44 PM
Bob LeChevalier

Donna Metler wrote:
I teach in the inner city. And I've heard a lot of very educated people who
can slide back and forth between the local dialect and more formal speech.
Heck, after 7 years, I can do it. So can my students. Dialect and slang is
as much a way of shutting the outside world out as anything else. IOW, they
don't particularly WANT to be understood by people who don't make an effort
to understand them. Same with any other subgroup.

A characteristic of the IQ-75z is an inability to grazp the causez
of their problemz. Why would a group, that'z alwayz screaming
about being excluded, intentionally want to "shut out the outside
world" (your wordz) ??

Stress reduction. Creating a sense of belonging when much of the rest
of society won't let them belong naturally.

Precisely the same reason why teens use lots of slang and indeed often
adopt a version of ghetto talk, even if they are white. They are
excluded from adult society because they are teens, and they resent
that exclusion, so they set up their own inclusive group and exclude
adults by adopting non-standard behaviors. A very human reaction.

A group that wants to be accepted should be trying to *minimize* the
cultural differences.

Why? That is the way to lose one's identity. I for one much prefer
to have women not try to act like men in order to be accepted as
equals. Why should I expect those of another culture to act like mine
in order to be accepted as equals?

This warped IQ-75_Mindset is responsible for
all the organizations (Black Student Union, Black this, black that, etc)
emphasizing that DAFNz are *different*. Absolutely the wrong approach
for acceptance...

Only to those who refuse to accept "different" as equal. In other
words, subhuman racists.

lojbab
--
lojbab

Bob LeChevalier, Founder, The Logical Language Group
(Opinions are my own; I do not speak for the organization.)
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban:
http://www.lojban.org