Old June 4th 04, 04:06 PM
Holger Dansk

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 11:34:41 GMT, "Fletch F. Fletch"
wrote:

Holger Dansk wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 03:45:22 GMT, "R. Steve Walz"
wrote:

Holger Dansk wrote:

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:33:07 -0700, "Circe"
wrote:

Um, are you suggesting that Greek was the first language to have
vowels in it?

I'm not suggesting it but saying that it was.

Holger
-------------------
You need a course in linguistics - written vowels were merely written
first by the Indians and Greeks, and before that written language was
merely a form of consonantal shorthand for speech. It doesn't mean
people didn't SAY the vowels!!!
Steve

Eureka!!!!!!!!!!!! There you go!!!!!!!!!! The Greeks were the first
to put the vowels in the alphabet!!!!! You finally got it!!!!!!!

Yet another tread-worn forensic device: declare victory while being
slaughtered.

But did you finally get the idea that the conclusions you were drawing were
based on a complete misunderstanding of this whole subject?

I understand the subject. Just as I said in my post of 6/2, a copy of
which is below :

I'm not claiming anything. I'm stating the fact that the Greeks were
the first people to put vowels in language. Prior to that time, it was
all consonants in all languages. With vowels, they could make more
words and do more thinking. (We think with words.) This gave them an
advantage over other civilizations.

This meant, of course, that they put them in their alphabet because
that's what their language was written with.

Slainte,
Fletch

Holger

http://www.mindspring.com/~holger1/holger1.htm