Old February 24th 05, 12:26 PM
Kim E

"Mermaid" wrote in message

So anyhow finally last week I get a call to come and work with a
student in
2nd grade. He is one of the youngest 2nd graders and while he is
smart he
lacks the attention span at times to keep up. With 25 students
in the class
the teacher had trouble staying with him and taking care of all
the other
students during a lesson. So finally she asked for help.
Principal calls
me (and there are a few other parents involved as well for other
days) to
come by on friday for an hour and shadow him during the math
section which
is his hardest time of the day. So I go and I know two other
parents as
well did too. It is reported to me that this student did better
this last
week with us there just encouraging him to stay on task for 1
hour.

Today I get a call. Don't come again. Although it is helping
the student
I'm sorry but your presence in the classroom is bothering the new
student
teacher who states she can't teach while you are there because
other adults
in the classroom make her nervous. The other two parents got
the same
call.

Personally I find this absolutely ridiculous.

That's because it is ridiculous on several levels - 1.)Student
teachers get observed all the time, deal with it
2.) i can't believe the student teacher whined to the
administration about this 3.) I can't believe the administration
gave in to the whining at their admitted detriment to students

BTW, I was a teacher before becoming a SAHM last year, and welcomed
parents in my classroom anytime.

-kim