Old April 28th 05, 01:49 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Hillary Israeli wrote:

Well, that's something. But really, I would like a place like the
Homestead, which allows parents to bring the little ones along on hikes
and to beaches and so on

There definitely *are* things you can do at the Homestead
that the whole family can do, and lots of things are family oriented.
We haven't been in the summer, so the beach thing was never an issue
for us. They had toddler sized ice skates at the skating rink. You
could certainly take littles on a hike (but maybe not on a guided
hike that had to keep a certain pace, if the kids were on foot).
You're right, though, that there aren't all that many places that
have lots of whole-family activities including babies and toddlers.
If I get a moment, I'll try to dig around in my stuff to see if I
can find the few I saw that seemed to have more than usual. Most
of them are very camping-ish sorts of things, which aren't really
my cup of tea, but maybe they'd fit your bill. I seem to recall
that there was one family-oriented resort even in PA, but I
can't recal the name right now. What we also found was that
most of the resorts that catered to families with young kids
were not the sort of places that my parents or my single sister
would enjoy at all, so we couldn't choose them for extended
family vacations (which, as I said, is a lot of what we do).
The fancier the place and the more adult amenities, the less
likely it is to have family-with-young-kids activities, it
seems.

Take care,
Ericka