Old July 6th 06, 07:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PattyMomVA

Default Second bout of mastitis -- what can I do about this?

"Carlye" wrote and I snipped:
PattyMomVA wrote:
"Carlye" wrote and I snipped:
Actually, I wonder if the
problem could be as simple as one night of not getting to breastfeed as
much as usual and having to sleep on my opposite side?

Yes, definitely. Hope DS is okay!

Really? Gosh, I thought mastitis developed much more slowly and
required a topical crack or blockage or something. You learn something
new every day. :-)

Kellymom says that milk statis/restricted milk flow is the primary cause of
plugged ducts and mastitis. The site also says that mastitis can come on
abruptly.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

And thanks, we're pretty sure DS is fine. He has just had a cough
since birth and now occasionally chokes and stops breathing for a few
seconds. They're ruled out pretty much everything really, really bad,
and we're down to thinking it's either a very obscure infection (he's
gone through a course of amoxicillin, but they are going to try
zithromax next) or atypical GERD, since he isn't "spitty." Still, it's
never comforting to have -anything- wrong with one of your kids, and
having him hospitalized, and now having him on an apnea monitor, has
made it all the more scary.

Yes, I'm sure it's scary. It sounds similar to the coughing/choking that DD
had from about 7 to 9 months when she was diagnosed with hyper-reactive
airways, a mild form of asthma. She would cough, cough, cough and then not
be able to breathe in for a couple of seconds. Appropriate nebulizer
treatments cleared it up, although we had repeat issues whenever she got
congested over the next couple of years. It's awful when you know there's
something going on with your baby, but the doctors can't tell you what it
is.

Take care,
-Patty, mom of 1+2