Old April 17th 05, 06:29 PM
sharalyns

Chookie wrote:
I'm heading in to my delivery hospital to discuss labour management

this
Friday. I'm particularly interested to hear from people who had
pre-eclampsia, ITP or a similar condition on what practices suited

them or
annoyed them etc, but all comments are welcome.

Ok--I had pre-eclampsia. Ended up with an OB for labor and delivery.
The most annoying thing was that we had planned to do the birth plan
that weekend (while taking our first labor class), but he arrived on
Friday. So I didn't know the OB, she didn't know me, and our wishes
weren't written down. So I was in the middle of labor and telling
people what I did and didn't want.....

I expect to need more emotional support than the average

second-timer,
particularly if I develop symptoms.

I expect this next time around too.

My obstetrician suggested an IV be put in "just in case". How about

we hold
off on that until I develop symptoms? I don't want to labour with a

needle
stuck in my hand.

FYI--an IV isn't a needle stuck in your hand and left there. The needle
is used to gain access to the vein, a catheter inserted and left there,
while the needle is then removed. I found that the forearm is a great
place for a non-intrusive IV. The hand tend to be sensitive, and the
anticube is positional if they have to administer fluids. I too would
like to labor next time without an IV in place, but I would not be
seriously opposed to a forearm saline lock for quick access.

My ob suggested 4-hourly BP monitoring for 24 hours post-partum. I

would like
6-hourly BP monitoring for the succeeding 24 hours as well.

FYI-The usual for after a 4 hour BP monitoring, is every 8 hours while
remaining in hospital (once per shift if shift change is q8 hours).
That would mean 3 checks in the second day versus 4 checks.

"All of the features of pre-eclampsia will resolve postpartum but

clinicians
should remain alert for new maternal complications for at least a

week after
delivery." What will this involve?

FYI--mine meant that twice a week I went in to have my BP measured
until resolved (2 weeks post). Of course I was at the hospital all the
time because my son was still admitted.

Also--you could ask *how* they would plan to induce (I may have missed
this question). The way my labor was started, I would *highly*
recommend. They took a foley catheter and inserted it up past my cervix
into the uterus without breaking my waters, and then inflating the
balloon. With nothing more than mild cramping once in a while, I was
4-5 centimeters in 8 hours. It was when they started pitocin and
performed AROM (without my permission) that things got ugly.

I think the rest of your questions are excellent!

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James (9/21/01)