Old April 20th 05, 04:52 PM
Alicia Norm

Larry McMahan wrote in news:4264c525
@usenet01.boi.hp.com:

Chookie,

I don't know how much hlep this is going to be, but here is a copy of
Monika's birth plan. since it is written "bullet" style, maybe you
will find silver one among them. :-)

I am Monkia Finkenstaedt McMahan, and this is the birth plan
for the delivery of my child. This plan should govern my
medical treatment if I am transferred to a hospital for
labor and/or delivery.

I expect each item on which hospital policy differs from my
stated wishes to be discussed with me and my husband, and
explicit consent be obtained from me before undertaking any
action that is contrary to the wishes stated in this birth
plan.

General Procedures and Procedures Specific to the Mother

I do not want to be shaved.

I do not want to have an enema.

I want to labor in my own clothing.

I want the option to give birth nude.

I do not want to have my membranes stripped.

I do not want to have my waters broken without my prior
consent.

I want to eat light food and drink juices or water of my
choice at any time during the labor.

I do not want to be placed in the lathroscopic position (on
my back) for exams or at any other time during labor or
delivery.

I want remain ambulatory and labor in any position of my
choice. I want to give birth in the position of my choice,
including, but not limited to standing, squatting, or
all-fours.

I do not want an episiotomy. I would rather risk a natural
tear.

I want my husband Larry N. McMahan and my midwife H
P to be with me during the entire labor and delivery.

If I am incapacitated so that I am not able to give medical
consent, I want medical concent to be obtained from my
husband, Larry N McMahan before undertaking any medical
procedure.

I do not consent to EFM (electronic fetel monitoring) at any
time during labor and delivery, except for cause and with
consent. All routine monitoring should be done with
fetoscope or doptone.

I do now want to have routine vaginal exams to monitor
progress. Exams will be for cause and with consent only.

I do not want to be prepped for IV (heparin lock inserted)
unless there is a medical necessity. This will be done for
cause and with consent only.

Pain relief medication will be administered with consent
only. If I want any I will ask. Please don't suggest it to
me.

Absent other medical indications failure to progress will
not be considered a cause to induce labor. Induction will
be done for cause and with consent only.

I do not want forceps or vacuum extraction to be used for
delivery unless there is a medical necessity. If necessary,
then consent must be obtained at the time.

I do not wish for cord traction to be used for removal of
the placenta. I also do not wish to have any drugs
administered without my permission in order to deliver the
placenta. I wish to use nipple stiumlation, primarily by
breastfeeding to encourage the placenta to detach and
spontaneously deliver. Any change to this point must be
done only for cause and with consent must be obtained at the
time.

If a Complication Requires a C-Section
--------------------------------------

I want my husband, Larry N. McMahan, and midwife H
P to remain with me in the operating and recovery room
before, during and after the procedure.

I want the procedure to be done using a local anesthetic
only, no general anesthetic.

I do not want to have a screen placed so I cannot see the
birth.

I want to hold the baby, and if possible attempt to
breastfeed the baby immediatly after the birth.

I want the baby to be seperated from me the minimum time
possible.

Procedures Regarding the Baby -----------------------------

I want either myself, my husband, or the midwife to remain
with the baby at all times after the birth.

Absent medical complications, I want my baby to be examined
and his Apgar evaluated while he lies on my stomach.

Absent medical complications, I do not want my baby placed
in an isolette or on a warming table. I want my baby to be
held by myself or a family member at all times.

If my baby is a boy I do not want him circumsized.

I do not want the baby to be fed formula, glucose water, or
to be given a pacifier at any time after the birth.

I do not want my baby to receive a vitamin K injection. It
may be given orally.

I do not want my baby to receive silver nitrate eyedrops.
Erithromycin ointment may be given, but only after the first
two hours.

I do not wish to have my baby's airway routinely suctioned.
It will be done for cause and with consent only.

I do not want the baby's cord to be clamped before it has
stopped pulsating. Absent medical necessity, I do not want
the cord clamped or cut until after the placenta delivers.

If complications require the baby's hospitalization, I want
to breastfeed or express breastmilk to feed the baby. I do
not want supplemental feeding without consent.

If complications require the baby's hospitalization, I want
to visit or stay with the baby at any time.

If complications require the baby's hospitilization, I do not
want the baby to be fed by bottle. The baby may be fed by
gavage, cup, or syringe.

Wow... Talk about being prepared.. ;-)

--
http://www.BirthClubForums.com
The online community for new and expected parents.