Old January 25th 05, 03:25 AM

In
posted on Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:02:56 -0500, J. Peter Mugaas
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:12:56 GMT, wrote:

[snip]
Hmm, well, I wouldn't disagree with the abortion option, I
do believe that anyone in the world has a innate right to
approach any genuine support group for help and advice.

Some on the group might want to offer practical suggestions,
but I don't believe that anyone on any support group has any
right to be deliberately hostile to a person seeking advice.

The person posted to the wrong support group. There probably is a
more relevant newsgroup that could've been more helpful (it's the
poster's responsibility to find the right one).

There may well have been, but a poster has a right to try to
maximize their chances by posting to several groups. Any of
the groups you mention might have someone with specific
experience in tracking someone, or could recommend a
specific service for doing so.

I also suspect that the original poster may have been trolling by
pitting one newsgroup against another by cross-posting to
contradictory newsgroups. Look at the groups the original message was
cross-posed to:

alt.child-support
alt.support.childfree
alt.support.divorce
alt.support.single-parents

That's the crux of what's going on. While I've been following this
thread, I've hesitated to reply to it before because I suspected a
troll and yes, my news reader does warn if you are cross-posting a
reply.

I don't believe that it is troll behaviour to post to more
than one newsgroup. Not everyone identifies the group they
are posting from and contactable on.

If someone posts something on the above groups I may wish to
answer the post or follow the thread. The only way that I
can ensure that my post reaches them is to crosspost back.

Crossposting is relatively common on most usenet groups, and
I fail to see why alt.support.childfree should be so damned
paranoid about it.

Now if someone is trying to sell a product or service on
usenet and crossposting to 15 or 20 unrelated groups hoping
to find a customer [or a sucker] then there may be some
reason to complain.

There are groups devoted for the sale of items, and I would
object to anyone trying to flog a product or service on a
non-sales group such as any of the above.

The original poster was rightfully flamed for choosing the wrong
newsgroup and she had EVERY opportunity to know that this is not the
right group (we haven't been hiding it from anyone).

Sorry, I still maintain that anyone looking for help on any
group pretending to be a support group should not be flamed,
as we don't know their motive for posting.

.....Whether they are a clueless newbie or not.

All those people you mention have absolutely nothing to do with this.
This was either a troll attempting to get people riled up for their
own sick pleasure

An unwarranted assumption. Why should crossposting get
anyone riled up?

I could probably set up a filter on Forte Agent to
automatically mark any crosspost as read or block it
entirely, but I see absolutely no reason to do either.

or some clueless newbie who really doesn't know any
better and needs to learn the hard way.

I agree that there are many people on many newsgroups who
need to be flamed or embarrassed into acting like human
beings, but I do think we should try to be a bit more gentle
with obvious newbies and give them the benefit of the doubt.

It doesn't really take long to get a good idea how long a
person has posted on usenet under a given name.

Why should a group want to get a reputation for being a hate
group?

If alt.support.childfree is so damn fussy about crossposts
they should convert to a moderated group or exchange
messages by email. The world is _not_ going to operate for
the convenience of this group.

This reply restores the thread crossposts. Why attempt to
talk behind others backs, Peter?

IMHO, if you and/or others are going to criticize the
original poster, she has a right to know of your
speculations on her motives.

Regards,
"nilkids"

---
I once had an open mind until people used it as a trashcan.
J. Peter Mugaas E-Mail:

http://www.wvnet.edu/~oma00215/