Old July 30th 03, 05:04 AM
the artist

Default Failed Pitocin Induction

Babies #3 and #4 were failed inductions for the first day. I went home and
back to the hosp. a couple days later and it worked.
Babies #5 and #6 were also induced and labor went accordingly.

"Usenet Fan" wrote in message
m...
I got a call from a friend today who had gone in to the hospital for
induction. She was only 3 days past her due date, but was suffering
horribly from indigestion and acid reflux, so when her OB suggested
induction, she set the date.

She went in last night for the cytotec gel, then was to get pitocin
today. They gave it to her all day. Contractions apparently were
visible on the fetal monitor, but she wasn't feeling much.

After an entire night and day in the hospital, they told her that the
pitocin just wasn't working, and they sent her home. Said if she
doesn't go into labor spontaneously by Friday, they'll start induction
again on Saturday.

The conception date was absolutely certain, since it was an IVF baby,
so this isn't a case of induction terribly early.

Has anyone ever heard of pitocin FAILING to induce labor? Is it
possible that some people are just not reactive to pitocin? What
would happen next if she doesn't go into labor spontaneously? I'm
thinking stripping of membranes or something. I'm just nervous for
her that if pitocin doesn't work again they'll cart her right off for
a c-section.

Anyway, it's got me thinking and I wondered what anyone here knows
about this type of reaction from induction?

Thanks,
Robin
#1 EDD early December, 2003