Old June 30th 05, 12:38 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:29:07 -0700, oregonchick wrote:

Is this something that everyone has done?

No. IMO there are no crucial tests for a healthy pregnancy. Pregnancy is
not a disease. Doing a lot of prenatal screening always makes me feel that
I am at risk for the most terrible things, which is not true. If you are
healthy and there is no history of perinatal problems in your immediate
family, there is little reason to test, except for the doctors to assure
they won't get sued if something is wrong at birth.

Personally, I find many of the screenings that are offered result in more
stress than necessary. If you decline, you get the feeling you are
withholding your baby the best possible care. If you do get tested, you
have the stress of waiting for the results and then dealing with them.
Usually the results are not even a definite answer, like yes or no,
but a number, e.g. you have a 1 in so many chance to have a baby
with spinal cord defects. Either way, you have worries.

Make sure you know *what* will be tested, and how reliable the results are
before you agree to have testing done. Never get tested just because your
ob/gyn thinks it's a good idea. Also consider what you will do should the
test come back with a bad result. If the answer is nothing, why go through
the ordeal?

--
--I
mommy to DS (July '02)