Old October 16th 06, 04:40 PM posted to alt.support.divorce,soc.men,alt.support.single-parents
Fred

Default Any lawyers want to sue to make child support unconstitutional?

YooperBoyka wrote:

I have no children, primarily because if I did, I'd lose my
constitutional
rights and could wind up in prison for failure to pay child support,
which
effectively makes it a debtor's prison.
Wrong. Refusing to pay will send you to prison. An inability to pay
will not.
Don't confuse the two.
Why not?
The courts do often enough.

So if someone makes a mistake, that justifies you making the same mistake?

That doesn't make sense ... (8-(

What doesn't make sense is that an inability to pay can and WILL
get you incarcerated.
Pretending it won't will solve nothing.

I cannot speak for any other jurisdiction, but as to the jurisdiction in
which I reside (Minnesota), an inability to pay will NOT get you
incarcerated. It might get your child support reduced if you make a
motion to that effect, and/or it might result in establishment of a
payment plan, but it will NOT get you incarcerated. Only if you have the
ability to pay and are not doing so MIGHT you be incarcerated.

If you want to cite a jurisdiction that has a policy of incarcerating
based on inability (not refusal; inability) to pay, please do so. But
knock off the glittering generalities; they are not appropriate.