Old March 25th 04, 07:11 PM
L-Bean

Default Opinions on induction??

Well I was induced 4 days before my due date ( i know you said not before,
but its not far before) I ended up being in labor for 3 days. So she was
born the day before her due date.
I NEVER want to be induced again NEVER. I had contractions one after
another, no break. I had an epidural, that after day 1 had to be turned off
because it froze too much of my body I could feel no contractions or
anything. SoI ended up on day 3 deliverying so called natural. They ended
up having to try the vaccume 5 times with Bella. With 2 different vaccumes,
and it ended up failing. Theyw ould not do a c-section because it was a
holiday here in Ottawa (Heritage day) and they were only doing emerency
c-sections, and I guess after 3 days I was not emerency enough.
I had nothing but problems. Wheter it was b/c of the induction I do not
know. But after feeling those contractions one on top of another, NEVER
again will I get it done.

Laura and Bella

"Jill" wrote in message
om...
I highly doubt I'd agree to an induction without a very darn good reason,
but I have been wondering "what if", if the doctors offer me an induction
because they think the baby is big. First of all, I would never consider

an
induction based on size if I wasn't near my due date anyway. I feel that

the
baby needs to stay put as long as possible, so I would not agree to a
big-baby induction at less than maybe 38-39 weeks. Also I KNOW

guesstimates
as to size and u/s are inaccurate late in the game. So I wouldn't
necessarily be in a hurry to induce anyway just because they SAY the baby

is
big.

But I can't figure this out, in my husband's family babies are routinely
induced for being large. I have joked before about how large babies (10
pounds and larger!) run in his family, even when induced and taken early
there are quite a few 9-11 lbers. I don't know why doctors pushed for it

or
why the women agreed or why it is so common in his family. A trend is
defintely there. No one ever had any problems from being induced etc.

I have a friend who was induced on her due date just because she wanted to
be. She happened to get the one doctor on call that week who WOULD do

that,
she said the other OBs don't like to do that. (These are not my OBs BTW,

or
the group I am changing to etc).

I've also heard first time moms are more likely to end up needing a
c-section if they are induced earlier than the baby is ready to come.

I do believe the baby will come when ready etc.

But, I'm just asking anyway....is it totally horrible if a dr offers to
induce on your due date? I have no plans for a natural (drug-free)
childbirth anyway and as bad as it sounds, I am not saying I would do it,
but it IS tempting -- not really for convenience's sake, but because it
would take a lot of the unknown out, allow my husband to have a better
chance of being able to get off work without penalty, alleviate my fears

of
the unknown etc, and there are a few more reasons I'd rather not get into,
but it's not "for convenience". I'm just asking... To me it is exciting to
wait for labor to start, and try to guess what day she'll come etc. But to
an extent I am curious about inductions especially right at the due date
(not before).