Old March 25th 04, 07:06 PM
Jamie Clark

Default Opinions on induction??

"Jill" wrote in message
om...
snip

But, I'm just asking anyway....is it totally horrible if a dr offers to
induce on your due date? I have no plans for a natural (drug-free)
childbirth anyway and as bad as it sounds, I am not saying I would do it,
but it IS tempting -- not really for convenience's sake, but because it
would take a lot of the unknown out, allow my husband to have a better
chance of being able to get off work without penalty, alleviate my fears

of
the unknown etc, and there are a few more reasons I'd rather not get into,
but it's not "for convenience". I'm just asking... To me it is exciting to
wait for labor to start, and try to guess what day she'll come etc. But to
an extent I am curious about inductions especially right at the due date
(not before).

Jill,
I have no real answer one way or another on this particular topic (at this
time, at least : ) ), but I did want to point out that although you say that
you wouldn't consider an induction for convenience's sake, you then proceed
to list several reasons that all sound convenient to me.

1. Take out the unknown factor. That is convenience, is it not?

2. Schedule time off work without penalty for dh. Again, convenience. And
I'm surprised that your husband would be penalized for taking time off when
his baby comes. As long as he's been able to tell them when you are due, I
think most people and all jobs understand that we can't always predict when
a woman will go into labor. If his company really will penalize him, that's
a serious bummer, and might well be reason enough for a planned induction.

3. Alleviate fears of the unknown -- okay, that isn't exactly convenience,
but really, the only unknown thing that induction really changes is the
date -- not the exact method of labor, how it will go, or how long it will
take. And, even if you chose a date to induce, you could still go early on
your own, or you could be postponed due to a full hospital, so really, there
is no change in the unknown. Not really.

I'm not trying to "break your balls" here Jill, just wanted to point out an
apparent inconsistency. Now you do say that there are other issues that you
don't want to mention here, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt about
the convenience factor of those. : ) But those 3 reasons that you listed
are exactly why most people chose induction, and what most people would
consider convenience factors.

If you really are excited to wait for labor to start on it's own, and to
guess what day she'll come, then hopefully you can concentrate on that, and
resist temptation on the induction. Let her cook for as long as she wants!

Good luck to you!
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03