Old April 26th 04, 05:13 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Default Epi-No

Bryna729 wrote:

Has anyone heard of a device called the "Epi-no"? It is supposed to stretch
the perineum so one is less likely to need an episiotomy or to tear. My
sister's OB is trying to convince her she needs one, but it kinds of sounds
suspicious to me. I had always thought that it's more important to provide
compresses and stretching *during* labor to prevent tearing. The Epi-No isn't
cheap, either.

Sounds like it might be much the same as perineal
massage, and research on the effectiveness of perineal
massage is mixed. Personally, I think the biggest factor
in whether you get an episiotomy or not is caregiver
beliefs ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka